What's new

Fatip razor (pros & cons)

Is it worth getting a closed comb slant when compared to the standard closed comb?

I have the standard gentile and I agree with you, it’s smooth as butter. I also have the FOCS and find that less smooth than the gentile.

Only issue with my gentile is that I have to watch for uneven exposure between both sides when loading the blade. It seems it’s always sticking out on one side vs the other. Not blade alignment, but exposure.

Any similar issues with yours? Would you say it’s worth getting the closed slant?

Thanks!
They are different!
The slant is a tad less smooth because despite it being a closed comb, it's got more blade gap. I already have both but if it was up to me, I would only have the "non-slant". I don't think it's worth getting the slant. Of course, YMMV!
It depends what you're looking for!
My Classic closed comb has the same issue with alignment as yours. You have to fiddle with it in order to not get it to stick out more on one side. But that takes me a few seconds. No big deal for me!
I guess they're all like that!
Out of my 6 Fatip razors, only one doesn't need alignment. And that's the closed comb slant!
But again, it's something that I overlook.
After trying them all at this point, I think I have 2 equal winners:
Classic closed comb & Classic open comb!
I like them better than any of the slants!
I've tried 3 slant shavers thus far and the one I've liked most is the Fatip closed comb slant but still find non slants better.
What i don't like is edging with a slant. I have a goatee and trimming the edges is difficult with a slant. Since one edge (on both sides) has more gap, it makes it harder. But again, that's just my experience.

Last edited:
They are different!
The slant is a tad less smooth because despite it being a closed comb, it's got more blade gap. I already have both but if it was up to me, I would only have the "non-slant". I don't think it's worth getting the slant. Of course, YMMV!
It depends what you're looking for!
My Classic closed comb has the same issue with alignment as yours. You have to fiddle with it in order to not get it to stick out more on one side. But that takes me a few seconds. No big deal for me!
I guess they're all like that!
Out of my 6 Fatip razors, only one doesn't need alignment. And that's the closed comb slant!
But again, it's something that I overlook.
After trying them all at this point, I think I have 2 equal winners:
Classic closed comb & Classic open comb!
I like them better than any of the slants!
Thanks! I’ll skip the CC slant. The standard gentile is indeed a wonderful shaver.

Paired with a BIC blade, max comfort and effectiveness.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Gifts and care would be an alternative next to what @Dave himself already mentioned.

Guido
I have to say..... I've ordered a few things from Gifts and Care... even with the shipping costs to the States, they are less expensive for what I've been buying. In addition, they only charge $10 extra or so for their express service. I get their packages in 3 days... or 5 if a weekend is involved. They have always shipped things out the very next day. I've place three orders with them recently. I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to purchase things from a place who cares. I guess the company name actually means something.

Just arrived!
Lo Storto gold closed comb slant.
It will be up for tonight's shave!:)

full

full

full
Ohhh man, why you do this to us? 😁 Just kidding, it's a beauty, indeed!

Tonight's shave was with my Nickel Grande OC classic (First time I use it). I used a Bic chrome platinum blade this time. Excellent! For obvious reasons it shaves the same as my Gunmetal Grande OC classic, LOL!!
It's my way of going back and forth between every razor to see what's better (for me)!
Once again, my preference is definitely the closed comb classic and open comb classic!
I'll keep the Lo Storto SB slant because it's pretty good as well and the handle is nice but the OC Piccolo slant will probably go up for sale. Not a keeper for me!
I don't like how it shaves and don't like that little 2.80" Piccolo handle!
LRod

I’ve nabbed a couple of these razors in the last month or so and am totally impressed! For the price, I can’t think of a razor that gives me the level of performance these do, and to me, that makes them not only great in my standard rotation, but also for travel.

I started with a Retro open comb that I picked up on a whim while visiting Maggard’s. What really works for me is some combination of open comb, thin/longer handle, and balance that relieves me of the temptation to over-pressure it’s overall light total weight. The result is a very crisp and nimble, yet well-controlled feeling in hand. I also really like the low profile of the head which makes it pretty effortless to reach in tight under the nose. It seems to like both Astra SP and Nacet blades equally. And finally, I really like it aesthetically, having that “retro” vibe in combination with clean disciplined lines. Out of curiosity, I weighed the handle, head and total at 31 gm, 34.75 and 65.75 gm respectively for a “head ratio” of 47%.

9ECD03AC-C900-4AB3-9BD3-DFA63F591708.jpeg

The other Fatip I have is the lo Storto testina originale (FOCS) that arrived yesterday and went for it’s first drive today. Same crisp, clean, comfortable and enjoyable shave as with the retro. I was a little concerned about the much shorter handle, but everything went beautifully. It didn’t surprise me to weigh and find 31 gm head, 36 gm handle and 67 gm total for a ratio of 46% similar to the retro. I think that ratio is a “sweet spot” for me - regardless of total weight, other razors in my rotation with that 45-48% are the ones I get along best with. Of course, I’m absolutely going to swap in the retro handle on the FOCS head to see what happens 😀….

C7C0F37B-8D9E-4A9B-9566-4010A891AB04.jpeg

No blade alignment issue with the retro. On the FOCS, I did need a minor adjustment to get blade exposure equal on both sides, but that doesn’t bother me - I have to adjust my skivvies occasionally too….

In short, a whole pile of pro’s and minimal con’s for me.

Out of curiosity, I weighed the handle, head and total at 31 gm, 34.75 and 65.75 gm respectively for a “head ratio” of 47%.
This is fascinating to me and I thank you for posting this! Most modern machined razors are about one third/two third head to handle. I have a razor with a head that weighs that much and it is sitting on a titanium handle that weighs 53g, the stock handles being 10-25g more depending on length. I think this demonstrates how Fatip get away with such short handles, the balance point being much closer to the head. I know some people here don't like having their hand that far up the handle, but it negates needing as long of a handle as one would think. I just wish there was more companies making quality hollow handles, I have been looking for years. The only option is to buy a whole razor that has the handle or pay for a Wolfman.

I know some people here don't like having their hand that far up the handle, but it negates needing as long of a handle as one would think.
I dislike long handles and I'm one of those that like holding close to the head. I like handles to be a max length of 3.5"!
Anything past that feels like I have no control or like if the razor is going to tip off my hand. That's one thing I've really liked about the Fatip's.
The Grande & Storto handles are fantastic!
The Piccolo on the other hand is overkill (actually underkill, Lol!)
It's way too small!

Last edited:
I started with a Retro open comb that I picked up on a whim while visiting Maggard’s.
You got the thicker version of the Retro handle. Pretty nice. The previous version was around the size of a pencil.

I have the Lo Storto Piccolo which I really like. It's very similar to the standard Piccolo handle with a "twist" so to speak. That spiral fluting gives it a better grip than the standard handle. Just goes to show, one size does not fit all.

For me it comes down to that balance as much as anything. Weird as it may sound (and a bit off topic), I came about it in building fishing rods. I can take 2 of the same exact rod blank, build them out with different tip:total weight ratios, and they feel like totally different animals while fishing. So I monitor weights on those pretty carefully.

Back on topic, I kind of prefer longer razor handles if they don’t tip the scales toward a more ”butt-weighted” feel. With a longer handle I can adjust based on how the shave is going at the time. I can choke “up” on any handle, but when they get too short there’s only so much room to choke “back”.

I just put a caliper on the Retro handle = 10 mm diameter. The FOCS = 11 mm. I prefer the 10 mm but then again my fingers are like 5 Lil’smokies, and as long as that head:handle ratio is correct, the larger diameter handles don’t bother me.

@LRod hey bit confused by some of the posts on the last fewpages,
just to clarify how did you find and rate the closed comb slant fatip you recently got?

@LRod hey bit confused by some of the posts on the last fewpages,
just to clarify how did you find and rate the closed comb slant fatip you recently got?
I like it!
I dislike the OC slant. I'm not much into slants though (from what I've seen). But if I were to choose a Fatip slant, it would be the closed comb!
My Fatip head preference in order:
#1 Closed comb classic with Grande handle
#2 Open comb classic with Grande handle
#3 Closed comb slant with Storto handle
Hope this helps,
LRod

I like it!
I dislike the OC slant. I'm not much into slants though (from what I've seen). But if I were to choose a Fatip slant, it would be the closed comb!
My Fatip head preference in order:
#1 Closed comb classic with Grande handle
#2 Open comb classic with Grande handle
#3 Closed comb slant with Storto handle
Hope this helps,
LRod
okay cool thanks so as in number one you mean the testina gentile right?

yea i mean i cant really feel any real difference with slants and ive got a couple too

okay cool thanks so as in number one you mean the testina gentile right?

yea i mean i cant really feel any real difference with slants and ive got a couple too
Yes,
Testina Gentile Grande #1, Classic OC Grande #2 and Testina Gentile Lo Storto slant #3!

Well the closed comb slant is definitely more agressive than the non slant. So their is a difference at least with those. But it loses smoothness.
Same as comparing the Classic OC from closed comb. The OC is more agressive and less smooth.
But I find the Classic OC smoother than the slant closed comb.
That's why the slant closed comb is my #3.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Well I swapped the handle from my Piccolo to my slant last night the handle went on easily the first thing I noticed was you could actually here the blade tourqe as I was screwing the handle on. Once the handle was secure I checked the blade alignment which was slightly out a little wiggle soon fixed that. My blade was a GSB on its second outing I lathered up with some Arko and for better or worse started to shave WTG. The first thing I noticed was that the razor seemed to be smoother than usual IMHO. Once I'd finished my first pass I did a cold water rinse and to my surprise there was less stubble than usual this combination seemed to be smoother and more efficient than with the proper handle. I did my second pass XTG followed by another cold water rinse there were hardly any pickups to finish my shave just little around the chin area. I'll have to try the slant with the proper handle for a few more shaves to make sure my mind isn't just playing tricks on me swapping handles.

Top Bottom