What's new

Any Fatip lovers here?

I'm on the fence to purchase a Fatip Grande OC (it could be the Piccolo, but the handle is a bit small/thin to my taste, and the handle from the Grande version is just spot on!), so I wanted to know how good are these razors?

I had a Fatip Lo Storto Testa Gentile a few months back, but that thing wasn't efficient enough to my taste, and was a pain in the *** to get a good blade alignment, so I returned it.

Now I want something a bit more efficient for daily or every other day shaving, while being comfortable.

So, I've chosen the right razor? 😉

Fatip has a lot of fans here. I'd say the OC Grande or OC Slant would be worth trying. Just avoid the black finish. Go for nickel, chrome or gold.
Really? I thought that Fatip's were hated due to the bad finish quality...

Which one will last more? Chrome or Nickel?

I'm looking into the Grande, because the handle is really beautiful.

They are brass so visual imperfections are not a big thing, alignment issues are but this is the draw of luck.

Not that many nickel options around so I would go for the Grande Originale Nichelato - it should also be the cheapest of the bunch besides the Piccolo.

I will take the risk of the blade issues...I can handle it quite well, tbh.

Nickel is good, chrome is a bit thicker plating. I've not had problems with alignment, just load the blade with the razor head turned upside-down. Drop the blade on the posts, put the base plate on, then tighten the handle down. Don't try to fiddle with the blade, it generally will center itself on the posts.

I have owned several different Fatip razors, but my new, gold Il Grosso is by far the best. It is the first one that requires absolutely no fiddling to get the blade exposure correctly aligned, and it is the smoothest one I've used so far. I've heard rumors that there were some minor improvements to the head for the Il Grosso, but I'm not sure that it's true, and if it is true I'm not sure if those improved heads are also available in the Grande and Piccolo versions (although I don't see why they wouldn't be). I am using my Il Grosso daily with no irritation. It is the smoothest razor I own, and it's efficiency is on a par with my Blackbird and Karve CB with a G base plate.

With regard to the handles, the Il Grosso is almost perfect. I have found the piccolo to be too small, the Grande a bit short and too light, and the wooden handles also a bit too light. The length, girth and weight of the Il Grosso are perfect for me, but I will caution you that the handle has no knurling or texture at all. Have I had a problem with it slipping? No, not so far. I rub my fingers on an alum block when using the Fatip, and that seems to be sufficient to provide a sure grip, but if they made a textured handle with the same size and weight, I would buy it.

I have 4 of them. La Storto closed comb in gold, closed comb in chrome, OC classic in nickel and OC classic in gunmetal. Slowly they are my only modern razors that will remain in my growing collection. They are the only ones that remind me of vintage razors because of them being handmade & brass. They've got that vibe!
Yes they all have the alignment issues (except my closed comb La Storto). But they are individually fantastic shavers and they are relatively cheap in price. The alignment issue is not a big deal for me. Takes me a couple seconds to align on a blade change. If you don't mind that, it's a great tool. So I think your choice is a good one. And the Grande handle is the one I find as the perfect handle.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Really? I thought that Fatip's were hated due to the bad finish quality...

Which one will last more? Chrome or Nickel?

I'm looking into the Grande, because the handle is really beautiful.
The plating on the Special Edition Piccolo's do have a reputation for the getting chips and such, but it doesn't seem to affect the way mine shaves. I only used the Gentile plate 2 times, and it has collected dust since then. I love the OC versions, and if efficiency is what you are looking for, a Mk1 is right up your alley, if you can find one. The Schöne is also nice.
I think the Nickel is the most durable, but I prefer my Grande's in KBG. (King's Butt Gold)

~doug~

I've got a Piccolo and a FOCS both are really good shavers.
Let me see. The first one was a Piccolo bought in 2014. Years later it turned out it is not the regular MKI, but a Roedter head. :c1:
Plus Gold Grande Gentile, 2 Grande Nickelato Originale MKII and 1 Piccolo Originale MKII. Shall we count the 2 Bokers?

I will stress again. I am not in the Fatip cult. :frown2:

I've lost the Fatip lottery many times in the past, during the time Mk1's were still being made i got a box of 10 of them, and only 3 of 10 clamped down the blade correctly, the other 7 had uneven cut top caps or the top cap underneath that clamps the edge down was not uniform and would put a wave in the edge of the blade, issues that are beyond just bad alignment. But the Mk1's i have that were made correctly are amazing shavers and was worth going through some bad units to get them. Within the last year Fatip has really stepped up the quality control, the difference in fit/finish on my early release Mk2's vs Mk2's that i bought within the year are amazing and the shaving performance is better/more consistent than the early release Mk2's

I would avoid the black finish though, they added a clear coating to it which peels off and it feels like plastic in the hand, IMO they should have just kept the old black finish which would just fade away with use instead of peeling away.

old fatip vs new.jpeg

Top Bottom