What's new

Fatip Il Grosso - First Shave

I have something of a love/hate relationship with Fatip razors. I have owned (and sold) at least a half dozen different Fatips (including a Schone), but there is something about them that always draws me back again. Today it was a new, gold Il Grosso open comb. I believe the head is the same as the gold, open comb Piccolo or Grande; the only thing new is the bigger, heavier handle. That said, this new Il Grosso head is the best machined and finished Fatip head I have used to date. There is no play whatsoever in the blade once it is placed on the cap, so no fiddling is required to ensure uniform blade exposure. Likewise, the gold finish appears flawless. Between the finish and the design, my wife (who cares not at all about my razors one way or another) remarked as I unpacked the razor, "Wow, that's a beautiful razor!" She was doubly impressed when she learned that it cost under $35 with shipping. But with all that said, the real question is: how does it perform when you put a blade in it and start shaving?

So I lathered up with my Zenith Manchurian brush, CRSW (sadly, now defunct) Jardin d'Orange soap and a Personna Israeli blade with 2 shaves on it and started in on my first shave with the Il Grosso. Perhaps the first thing you notice when you pick up the razor is the bulk of the handle. It is heavier, longer and has a larger diameter than both the Piccolo and Grande handles. It's also significantly heavier than the Nobile or wooden handles. There is no knurling on the handle, and that raised a question in my mind about how slippery it might be, so I rubbed my fingers on an alum block before starting. As the shave went on, it became clear that I was not going to have any issues with gripping the handle. For me the large, heavy handle greatly improved the balance of the razor. As I started shaving, I began to wonder if I had forgotten to put the blade in it. There was virtually no blade feel as it glided around my face. I completed my normal two pass plus touch up shave with nothing that even approached discomfort of any sort. The results were excellent, although perhaps not the absolute closest of any razor I've used. That said, this is only my first shave with the Il Grosso so those results may improve further as I become more adept with the razor. Another thing I'll be watching is whether I develop some irritation on my neck as I use this razor daily. I have had that problem in the past with Fatip razors, but I think the added weight of the Il Grosso may prevent me from putting too much pressure on the blade, which in my opinion is the likely cause of that irritation.

In short, this is an exceptional razor, and it would be a bargain at twice the price. Here are a couple of pics:

Il Grosso 2.jpg

Il Grosso 1.jpg

Great report. I agree that the Il Grosso does give quite the nice shave. I also don't quite see as many complaints about QC so I guess Fatip has gotten their act together on this razor. Still, it doesn't quite beat the lo Storto in terms of efficiency and smoothness. But it IS a great razor on it's own, and quite marvelous for someone who doesn't like slants.

Great report. I agree that the Il Grosso does give quite the nice shave. I also don't quite see as many complaints about QC so I guess Fatip has gotten their act together on this razor. Still, it doesn't quite beat the lo Storto in terms of efficiency and smoothness. But it IS a great razor on it's own, and quite marvelous for someone who doesn't like slants.
Oddly enough, for me the Il Grosso has been both more efficient and smoother than the Lo Storto. But then my experience with slant razors has not been great. I have tried several over the years, and I have sold them all.

I now have 6 shaves with my Il Grosso, and I stand by my initial assessment that it provides a remarkable level of smoothness and efficiency and does so at a fraction of the price of several other razors that I own. The only thing that I would like to see is a textured or knurled finish on the handle. While I didn't think it would slip out of my fingers, I nevertheless added a small piece of a silicone pencil holder to the handle. It just makes it that much easier to have a firm grip when you are changing your hand position on the razor, e.g. when I switch from downward to upward strokes. I'm not crazy about the look, but I don't think it detracts too much from the overall appearance.

Il Grosso.jpg

Thanks to Steve for his review, there's not much other information about the new Il Grosso handle available other than a few YouTube videos (unfortunately the commentaries are only in Italian). Just got one of the open comb variants, and can attest to the improved build quality compared to my other three Fatips. While the others have minor pitting, and small flashing at the base of the posts, they are still terrific razors, and well worth the cost, especially for all brass razors. However, the Il Grosso finish (I bought the chrome) is nearly flawless, and the mirror surface on the handle still has adequate grip (no rubber pencil holder is needed). No play in the blade around the posts, with perfect alignment. Like my Grande, the shave is very efficient (as least as much as the Lo Storto OC slant) with moderate blade feel, but still mild with no nicks or irritation due to a small blade gap and rigid clamping. The handle, while still hollow like the grande, is closed at the end with nice weight/balance, and the slightly added length makes it a little easier for me to hold.

The handle, while still hollow like the grande, is closed at the end with nice weight/balance, and the slightly added length makes it a little easier for me to hold.
I was under the impression that the handle was solid, and it certainly feels that way to me. I weighed it and was about to point out that it's considerably heavier than the solid Piccolo handle (although it's also longer and larger in diameter), but it occurred to me that I could just poke something down past the threads to see if it is indeed hollow. And it is! I was quite surprised, but it does nothing to change my impression. Like @Bill From OC, I find the weight and balance to be excellent. Also, while the handle is hollow, it is much heavier than the Grande. A Fatip Grande weighs in at 66 grams, while the Il Grosso is 88 grams.

Thank you for all the reviews. I just hope the Fatip fixed their tolerance issues and came out with the new and improved Il Grosso.
I am curious if anyone has some close up pictures of alleged improvements as I was not able to find any on any board.
Thanks again.

Actually I think Fatip's QC has improved recently. I bought a lo Storto and an Il Grosso recently and have had absolutely no alignment issues.

I also have no heard of any more complaints with regards to the Il Grosso, which seemingly indicated it's finally gotten it's act together since the Il Grosso is a fairly recent release.

Actually I think Fatip's QC has improved recently. I bought a lo Storto and an Il Grosso recently and have had absolutely no alignment issues.

I also have no heard of any more complaints with regards to the Il Grosso, which seemingly indicated it's finally gotten it's act together since the Il Grosso is a fairly recent release.
That's good to know! I guess coming late to the Fatip game may have been a lucky one. Will definitely order the "Grosso" asap. Been sticking to the PermaSharps and I find a heavy handle with that blade is a wonderful combo. Not giving up my Feather's as I find them almost made for the vintage "Hoffritz" slant I have. Like doing surgery ;).

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Oddly enough, for me the Il Grosso has been both more efficient and smoother than the Lo Storto.
Personally I think both the OC and Gentile version were, for me, smoother and more efficient than Lo Storto.

I'm like you in that I have had Fatip of several flavors, a Schone and Plisson. It might be time to pull the trigger. Sounds like quality has gone up. The plating looks better. I think with the smooth surface they had to step up their game. No lines to hide the flaws so to speak.

Personally I think both the OC and Gentile version were, for me, smoother and more efficient than Lo Storto.

I'm like you in that I have had Fatip of several flavors, a Schone and Plisson. It might be time to pull the trigger. Sounds like quality has gone up. The plating looks better. I think with the smooth surface they had to step up their game. No lines to hide the flaws so to speak.
That's the best part of the hobby :D

I bought 6 Fatip's in a period of like 1 month. I wanted to try all the heads and handle combinations (except the Nobile).

The ones I sold:
IL Grosso gold OC: Too big for a Fatip and the handle seemed slippery. Grande & La Storto handles are my favorites. Shaved great though!
Testina Gentile gunmetal: I got the chrome one as well and liked the look better. No sense in having both!
Piccolo OC slant in gold: Didn't work for me and the Piccolo handle is way too small.

The ones I kept and enjoy (in order):
Nickel classic OC Grande
Testina Gentile La Storto slant in Gold
Testina Gentile Grande in chrome

Yes they all require alignment when switching blades, the finish is not the greatest etc..
But they have a vintage vibe that I love, they're brass, they're made in Italy by real hands,
they're cheap and they give a great shave.
Very charming razors!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
First shave with the Il Grosso and I have to say it was very nice. As David Byrne of the Talking Heads sings... Close enough but not too far baby you know where you are... which is to say DFS++ and very easy to get there.

And I tried it with one of the new Dovo blades made in Germany. Seems like a great blade with the Fatip.

The weird thing is this is the best Fatip, Schone, Jordis shave I have ever gotten. No I don't think the head is any different than any other Fatip OC. I have not shaved with a Fatip in a few months. I just think as time marches on I get better at shaving and paying attention during the shave.

I bought three Fatip this summer 2022. Piccolo gentile, Grande open comb, and Lo Storto open comb, all gold. I have had no quality or alignment issues with any of them. The finish looks really good. I can't complain on any of my Fatip razors. Maybe I'm just lucky or not very discerning. Or the Fatip quality and quality control has gotten a lot better. Anyhow I can recommend Fatip razors to everybody.

All my Fatips have alignment issues, as the blades slide under the posts and in conjunction with the loose tolerances between the top plate posts and bottom plate holes. Great razors when lucky enough to get the blade centered. The rest of the time... just pain.
Maybe I'm just not lucky or very discerning.

Top Bottom