What's new

Muhle R89

Well, I have been using Feathers so far. Just used the Muhle razor that came with it out of curiosity. Not sure where they sit on the sharpness scale. I'm looking forward to trying it with a Feather on my next shave. Appreciate the input.

Yes, it happens to us all. First you get into the hobby. Then you see amazing razors like the Rex Ambassador. Then you tell yourself, "control yourself, I have control, I can fight this."

But then the view of the Rex expands and contracts in your mind, you can't get it out. Your breathing harder and harder, eventually you can't take it anymore.

So you do what any self respecting Badger & Blade warrior would do, and you buy that razor. Where did the money go you ask yourself? It appears it disappeared inside Marry Poppins carry all bag.

And then the next time gets easier and easier, now you have 9 soap puks, several aftershaves, shaving bowls, scuttles, brushes, etc.

Eventually, your shave den becomes your own personal Disney land. Just looking at your razors brings pure joy to your heart.

Wet shaving, the journey towards happiness, a wallet less empty each time.

Heads are the same design except Muhle manufacture in Germany and Edwin Jagger manufacture in Sheffield.

It's been years since I had an EJ. I had an R89 for eight or nine years (when the head finally pitted, I decided not to replace it). Best as I can recall, same head design but slightly different finishing. I remember the EJ's nickel plating to be a little bit shinier. They were both good razors.

IMG_20201206_183538.jpg

No stainless - no problem. 2years of sheer perfection, still not a single mark on it. Bit "boring" must say, like driving Mercedes S class - comfy, stilish, enjoyable, stress-free, elegant... you know, just as being too perfect, as all my shaves are great, no irritation, no cuts just too easy ride but not inefficient! 2pass (WTG+XTG) and BBS for a day. It takes away all your topics to complain about razors 😁

I also strongly endorse the Muhle R89 as a DE safety razor of quality, beauty, and effectiveness. However, some find it too mild for their coarse whiskers, including me. The addition of a shim or two is an easy solution. I find the addition of 2 shims under the working blade is spot-on perfect for me, my face, and my whiskers. The R89 then performs like say a Gillette Fat Boy set on 5, or a Gillette Slim set on 6. Sublime perfection!

The best of the EJ series is the DES89K, a.k.a the Kelvin, IMO.

A lovely balance point, a great grippy handle and a short length, as I find 'shorties' make the best razors for my style and technique. The heft is nice too, which complements the compact length.

They appear to be made in batches by EJ especially for a big river site. Sometimes the source dries up for a couple of months though. Fantastic value when they are available though, and a lovely razor for old and new alike.
IMG_20220510_211712472.jpg

Last edited:
A stainless steel variant would be sweet.

You could just go for a Rocca. It's like an improved R89. Very smooth shave and a close shave.

Why they don't just go ahead and make the stupid thing in an all steel version is completely beyond me?

Same thing with Edwin Jagger, they bring out the 3ONE6, a well and good. But why not also bring out a factory DE89 stainless version.

It's the one product everyone wants and neither companies want to make.

I shave with the EJ Kelvin handle and the Rocca head sometimes. Works fine. Could buy a shorter aftermarket stainless handle?

I had a great close feeling shave with the DE89 earlier today. It is just not as close several hours later, not that it really matters.

The Rocca does shave very much like the DE89 but it is closer and the closeness lasts longer. The Rocca is an easy step-up from the DE89 head. The shave quality is close to the R41 I use on a daily basis.

Top Bottom