What's new

More or less aggressive razor as technique improves?

I started DE shaving about 7 months ago. Since then, my technique has improved dramatically. At first, I was not very happy with mild razors since I felt they took too much effort and too many passes to achieve a close shave. I gravitated towards more aggressive razors until about 1 month ago when I started using my DE89, exclusively. I can now achieve a close 2 pass shave with the DE89.

My most "aggressive" razor is a Muhle Rocca and although I can use it just fine, I do notice more blade feel from it and have to be more careful, particularly ATG. ATG on my mustache with the Rocca can be a bit scary (relatively large blade gap).

I'm currently enjoying the mild feeling 2 pass shaves I get from a DE89 and am contemplating selling the Rocca.

Have any seasoned DE shavers experienced this in their DE journey? As my technique continues to improve, will I one day revert back to preferring more aggressive razors and regret selling the Rocca? Or will improved technique lead me to more and more mild razors?

Last edited:
I consider my technique to be high level.

I still don't enjoy my aggressive razors and have settled on one razor and have used it almost exclusively for many years now.

Mild razors for the win. That doesn't mean settling for stubble post shave or having to do 6 passes. My go-to is a 53 blade gap, 2 pass, perfect shaves every time.

Use what you like. Like what you use.

I think generally you get more comfortable with a more efficient shave so you go slightly more aggressive as your experience builds. I know what does the job though so if a milder razor is nice I’ll still use it.

I sell razors when the overall quality of the shave doesn’t meet my standard. Usually when it isn’t smooth.

I don’t think there is a consistent answer to this question. There are so many variables. As many beard types, shaving techniques, razors, and blades (et al) is as many answers as there is likely to be. For me, I’ve gravitated towards milder razors with feather and Kai blades.

Relatively aggressive razors are generally easier for a new user in that they shave through a wider range of angles. A Muhle R41 will shave you at just about any angle, although the sweet spot is quite narrow, which probably explains why inexperienced users often find the shave rough to begin with. I tend to think, and certainly in my own case, as you technique improves over the years, you will find mild razors become far more efficient. My favourite razors are the Feather WSD2, EFB Tech and the English Flare Tip Rocket, both considered mild razors. The Feather's sweet spot is very narrow almost like an on/off switch and yet it now feels intuitive to use, the Muhle R89 I use to think of as a mild razor, I now view it as a medium aggressive razor. That said, all that matters is your preferences, not anyone else's, just be aware that your preference are likely to change over the years and that goes for brushes, blades and soaps as well.

After decades I prefer making milder razors. I can’t for the life of me how guys get BBS shaves with 2 passes. It takes me 3 plus touch up to get there regardless of aggression level. That is why I prefer milder razors.
I make 2 passes and do some touching up in my difficult spots. Maybe 3 passes + touch up if I haven't shaved in more than 3 days. Although I am not chasing "BBS" I just go for a clean and hopefully irritation free shave. most of the time it is 2 passes and some touch up.

It depends..
With shaving...there are a lot a variables.
But yes, as you technique gets better....
Your shave results should get better.
Your face / skin should benefit.
Your confidence and your adaptability ( find the right angle w/ the tool) will also improve .
Keep in mind "technique" is a general statement.
When I am teaching someone to shave, not only do they have to use the right angle and get that muscle memory trained.
There are other key factors; prep, the in shave process, and post shave.
Master them all, find the best combinations that works best for you. your tool and your face/skin.
Example, some people say.. I do 3 passes.
How efficient and methodical are those passes. Have they done a face map. Do they know if they have thick stubble, thin stubble, dense stubble, or different patches. Do they buff a lot, are they buffing on a somewhat dry face. What is the shave process they follow. Or do they even have a process / plan. Are you using the right tool for the job. Is that mild razor good for 4 or 5 days of growth. Is that medium plus tool ok to use everyday on that face...
So much more...
But I how you get the point.
Shave Smart!
And have fun...
You are( should be) the master of the tool..
It is all about you....not the tool...
BFX

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I yield to what is in my hand. Less aggressive = paradoxically more attention to angle/less attention to being careful. Typically the more aggressive the less attention to angle/more attention to being careful.

And then I bought a Lambda Athena and just got awesome shaves every time.

I started DE shaving probably around the 2012-2013 time frame after seeing these Micro Touch One commercials.

And in the beginning I did not care for the more aggressive razors I encountered, like the Gillette Old or the Pearl Cadet.

These days I barely touch the mild stuff like a Tech or Super Speed (other than my red tip). The "dangerous" razors are more interesting to me now.

I started with a mild razor, moved on to a different mild razor then on to a medium aggression GC .84P. I couldn't get the .68P to really work for me and the .84P was a bit much for my shaving frequency so I picked up the .76P. Funny thing is, one day I decided to try the .68P with a GSB and have been using it for the greater majority of my shaves now.

Much like @srgjazz it takes me 3 passes plus clean up for a few spots regardless of the aggression I'm using. The .68P lets me whip it around my face with little fear and I don't get any sting or razor burn despite the extra clean up.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I find milder razors harder to use as they require holding a fairly narrow angle at times to cut. Aggressive razors teach you to feel when the blade is about to bite and give you way more leeway and still cut hair. And possibly more.

So learning to shave with a R41 is a Life of Brian style education to shaving. I liked it that way.

So, aggressive or mild razors? I still rather prefer aggressive razors. Aggressive/mild are only terms to describe the summary how a razor feels.

For instance, I really love how my Yaqi Mellon and my Lambda Athena/Ares shave, they are very mild and the latter too even ridiculously efficient.

Which razor you love or not in the end, there does not seem to be a progression of experience or shaving technique involved in this matter, IMO. Mostly its love at first sight or not.

The only way to know for sure is to try them for yourself. The thing is that not all mild and aggressive razors are created equal and you might end up liking razors from both camps.

Generally, I prefer razors with high efficiency combined with a decent amount of smoothness and just a little or medium blade feel.

The other thing you have to remember is that there's no such thing as a perfect razor, or at least for those who regularly buy new razors all the time anyway. My top favourite razor/razors charge from time to time and my top picks from around 10 years ago are not even in my current top 10 favourite razors of all time. There's always something new that is at least slightly better than what you've already tried, or perhaps that razor, which you didn't like a few years ago, because your technique wasn't as good as it is now is even better than anything else you have. The options are nearly endless.

So you basically have two choices:
The first one is to settle on best razor or razors that you currently have and be done with it or you can keep buying and trying more and more razors like a lot of us on this forum do and shift your preference every now and then on which razors you like the most regardless if they are mild or aggressive with the hope of finding the perfect razor/razors, but like I said, that only happens when you stop buying new razors and that's the hardest part.

Last edited:
As my technique continues to improve, will I one day revert back to preferring more aggressive razors and regret selling the Rocca?
I got a chance to try and subsequently get a Rocca and I would never sell it. In fact, it should have been my second and last razor in hindsight coming from a KCG mild razor. It delivers excellent shaves and my guesstimate would be that you will regret selling it. Your technique development should be able to balance the aggressiveness you now experience. But ultimately it is your decision of course.
Or will improved technique lead me to more and more mild razors?
I think improved technique will not lead you to more and more mild razors - I think improved technique will enable you to be very effective with mild razors and aggressive razors alike.

Enjoy!

Guido

I started with a mild razor, moved on to a different mild razor then on to a medium aggression GC .84P. I couldn't get the .68P to really work for me and the .84P was a bit much for my shaving frequency so I picked up the .76P. Funny thing is, one day I decided to try the .68P with a GSB and have been using it for the greater majority of my shaves now.

Much like @srgjazz it takes me 3 passes plus clean up for a few spots regardless of the aggression I'm using. The .68P lets me whip it around my face with little fear and I don't get any sting or razor burn despite the extra clean up.
We were just talking about this in another thread - that some folks will start mild, go more and more aggressive, then when their technique gets very good, sometimes go back to more mild razors.
This pretty much mirrors my experience, and when you think about it, it makes perfect sense.

As you begin to "master" a more aggressive razor (thanks to the feedback, pain and suffering it provides), you become more sensitive to both touch as well as finding and holding an optimal angle.

Taking this new-found sensitivity back to milder razors, I've experienced greater efficiency than I had in my earlier trials - a best of both worlds :straight:

... Thom

Top Bottom