What's new

Most Overrated and Underrated razors in your collection?

Overrated. For me the merkur 34c
Underrated. Muller R41. Not as scary as you’d think (at least the modern version). Also muhle r89. Great razor.

Overrated: Carbon Cx razor: basic head, average finish, downright crappy handle and an unimpressive shave for an asking price of $250.

Underrated: PILS. There was probably a lot more attention on this razor 5+ years ago. It's no longer the new kid on the block. Buying it from Germany is expensive, but you can pick one up used for a much better deal.

Overrated: Feather AS-D2
Underrated: all of my good ones are highly rated Timeless, Vector, Ralf Aust

Underrated: Star DE. Looks line a Tech and shaves like a Tech, with a little more efficiency. I love my Techs, but the Star is just a little better.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Overrated:

Muhle R41. It’s a nice razor in a way but try to shave with it 5 days in a row and enjoy it..impossible.
I'm on about day 20 or so of every day use of the R41 and loving it.

Most overrated is the Muhle R41. Yes, it is very effiecient, but it is not very comfortable to use. Also, most slants are overrated IMO.
It has a lot of blade feel for sure. With a not sharp enough blade it borders on uncomfortable. But what it does do is deliver the closest irritation free shave I've ever had. My Feather AS-D2 is a much more comfortable shave - while shaving, but afterward is not as close nor as comfortable. I guess I value the end result more than getting there.

I won't say the Muhle R41 is the MOST overrated, but I will say it's a close second (to the EJ 89, but for different reasons). The Muhle is a road grater - - carves into your face more like a wood chipper than a sleek samurai's sword. But as a user of OC's, I have to go with Fatip and Shone at the top of the preffered list. As for underrated - - any Parker OC; extremely serviceable razors.

I like my Schone a lot, but I like my R41 better. Schone is smoother, but R41 is closer and more comfortable post shave.

Overrated for me: Feather AS-D2. Get one of the RR game changers much less money and 95% of the smoothness. DE-89. Supply V2, AC Format razors.

Underrated for me: Schone, R41, Gem Junior, Lady Eversharp Injector

So the overall option of every razor ever made is that somebody loves it and raves over and there's some out there who hate it with a passion.

I guess opinions are like a**holes huh? Everybody has one.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Razors that are/were part of my collection:

Overrated:

Tech - decent razors, but nothing impressive.
Old Type - mine has no plating on the head and it doesn't glide very well.
Rockwell 6S - too mild for me even on plate 6 with Feather and the matt finish has a terrible feel on my face, similar to the Old Type. Non polished and uncoated razor heads are no, no for me even if they are made out of vibranium or adamantium.
R41 - very efficient razor and I can get great shaves from it, but even with sharper blades it's not very comfortable and it doesn't glide with ease as I would want it. I kept mine for mainly one pass shaves, but ever since I've got the MMOC, the R41 just had to find a new home.

Underrated:

109 Super Adjustable- it's a bit more efficient than the Slim on setting 9 and I get better shaves, but I wish it had more solid construction.
GEM razors - great shavers overall, but some models might not be a good option as daily shavers.

Razors that i've never owned, but I know a lot about:

Overrated:

Fatboy - probably the most overhyped and overpriced mass produced Gillette model ever made. Not saying that it's bad or the worst, but it's NOT rare at all (millions were made) or the best Gillette model.
Toggle - great razor for a collection, but shave wise I doubt that it's going to shave any better than any other Gillette adjustable.
Bottom Dial - pretty much the same as the Toggle, but much harder to find and way more expensive.
Tech Hybrid - it shaves better than any other Tech!1! Yeah, right dooood. Yeah, fidgin right!
Red Tip - more expensive than any other Super Speed because - reasons.
RFB - a widely spread myth that it shaves better/smoother than a US made NEW LC.
British Goodwills - pretty much the same as the RFB.

Underrated:

Schick and Pal injectors - just like GEM and other SE razors., Schick and Pal razors are super inexpensive. It's just that the blades are a bit on the pricy side.

I don't know what's the deal with the rare Gillette (especially the British made ones) or other DE brands, but I bet a lot of people have been misled to believe that just because some of the rare models happen to have a slightly different head design and also has the same blade gap, blade exposure, and angle compared to the common model, that makes them 100000 times better and in some cases the people who spread those myths are the same people who also happen to sell those razors. Although one can learn a great deal on the shaving forums about all kinds of razors and stuff related to them, there's also a lots of misinformation floating around and that information is more of a personal opinions rather than a facts which misleads new shavers in the wrong directions.

Last edited:
Razors that are/were part of my collection:

Overrated:

Tech - decent razors, but nothing impressive.
Old Type - mine has no plating on the head and it doesn't glide very well.
Rockwell 6S - too mild for me even on plate 6 with Feather and the matt finish has a terrible feel on my face, similar to the Old Type. Non polished and uncoated razor heads are no, no for me even if they are made out of vibranium or adamantium.
R41 - very efficient razor and I can get great shaves from it, but even with sharper blades it's not very comfortable and it doesn't glide with ease as I would want it. I kept mine for mainly one pass shaves, but ever since I've got the MMOC, the R41 just had to find a new home.

Underrated:

109 Super Adjustable- it's a bit more efficient than the Slim on setting 9 and I get better shaves, but I wish it had more solid construction.
GEM razors - great shavers overall, but some models might not be a good option as daily shavers.

Overrated:

Fatboy - probably the most overhyped and overpriced mass produced Gillette model ever made. Not saying that it's bad or the worst, but it's NOT rare at all (millions were made) or the best Gillette model.
Toggle - great razor for a collection, but shave wise I doubt that it's going to shave any better than any other Gillette adjustable.
Bottom Dial - pretty much the same as the Toggle, but much harder to find and way more expensive.
Tech Hybrid - it shaves better than any other Tech!1! Yeah, right dooood. Yeah, fidgin right!
RFB - a widely spread myth that it shaves better/smoother than a US made NEW LC.

Underrated:

Schick and Pal injectors - just like GEM and other SE razors., Schick and Pal razors are super inexpensive. It's just that the blades are a bit on the pricy side.

I don't know what's the deal with the rare Gillette (especially the British made ones) or other DE brands, but I bet a lot of people have been misled to believe that just because some of the rare models happen to have a slightly different head design and also has the same blade gap, blade exposure, and angle compared to the common model, that makes them 100000 times better and in some cases the people who spread those myths are the same people who also happen to sell those razors. Although one can learn a great deal on the shaving forums about all kinds of razors and stuff related to them, there's also a lots of misinformation floating around and that information is more of a personal opinions rather than a facts which misleads new shavers in the wrong directions.
I don't have any PAL razors, but I agree that Schick injectors are underrated. I bought two G-1s from the 1940s and they shave great. They've become my favorite daily razors, even more so than some of my vintage Gillettes. The Schick injector blades are pricier than most DE blades, but they last a long time. I have a coarse beard and I just finished my 14th shave with a Schick blade.

Overrated:

Underrated:

Not sure I follow this part. These are razors you have never owned and are sure they are overrated or underrated? I assume you have at least shaved with them?

Reason I asked is I love my Red tip and I got it for less than my 1976 Black SuperSpeed (ie. less than $10) and shaves a lot better than it. I agree prices today are stupid for them, but they weren't last year (neither were FatBoys for that matter).

I agree on the Fatboys and variants, but I think the variants are used mainly as a collection item instead of a regular rotation shaver so not really an apples to apples comparison in my opinion.

Not sure I follow this part. These are razors you have never owned and are sure they are overrated or underrated? I assume you have at least shaved with them?

Reason I asked is I love my Red tip and I got it for less than my 1976 Black SuperSpeed (ie. less than $10) and shaves a lot better than it. I agree prices today are stupid for them, but they weren't last year (neither were FatBoys for that matter).

I agree on the Fatboys and variants, but I think the variants are used mainly as a collection item instead of a regular rotation shaver so not really an apples to apples comparison in my opinion.

There's plenty of information about all the models that i've mentioned. Including blade gap, angle, etc. I mean, are people seriously believing that a Toggle and a Bottom Dial are going to shave different than a Fatboy, Slim or Super Adjustable? Or that a Tech Hybrid shaves better than any other Gillette Tech model ever made? Or that the British RFB and the Goodwill razors are different than the US models?
I'm not saying that people shouldn't have their favorite razors or like one model more than another, but giving the fact that some razors basically have the same heads and just a slightly different decoration and smaller/bigger/heavier handle doesn't mean that they are better shavers. I like my recently acquired 4th gen British Aristocrat, but I don't think it's that much different than a regular British Super Speed from that time period. It might be a bit heavy and the handle might be a bit more comfortable, but I don't see any reason why it would shave better than the Super Speed. I might enjoy shaving with it a lot more, but that's is.

Top Bottom