What's new

Most Overrated and Underrated razors in your collection?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Or that a Tech Hybrid shaves better than any other Gillette Tech model ever made? Or that the British RFB and the Goodwill razors are different than the US models?

Ummm... yeah. That is exactly the case good sir. The Hybrid Tech shaves better than EVERY other Tech razor ever made. And the RFB shaves different than the US models. Night and day. So, if you’ve never shaved with them, you can only assume and speculate. I have most of the razors you’ve mentioned, including Hybrid Techs and Toggles and dozens of Brit Gillette’s, and they do shave better then any US counterparts. My opinion is that they shave better. But fact is that these razors are different geometry and design, and therefore do not shave the same as their US counterparts.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Ummm... yeah. That is exactly the case good sir. The Hybrid Tech shaves better than EVERY other Tech razor ever made. And the RFB shaves different than the US models. Night and day. So, if you’ve never shaved with them, you can only assume and speculate. I have most of the razors you’ve mentioned, including Hybrid Techs and Toggles and dozens of Brit Gillette’s, and they do shave better then any US counterparts. My opinion is that they shave better. But fact is that these razors are different geometry and design, and therefore do not shave the same as their US counterparts.
1607164454077.gif

That's your opinion and so far I haven't seen any ''scientific'' proof that support the myth that the rarest razors are always 100000000000000x better shavers compared to the super common ones. I also don't see how the head of the Tech Hybrid is that much different than a BFT or compared to most of the other Techs. I know quite a few people who ALSO own most of these razors and for them it's all hype, myths, legends and fairytales because - those people have those rare razors and others don't and therefore they shave infinity better for some reason or maybe because Mr. Miyagi or Gandalf the Gray made them.

I think i've read somewhere that even Gillette claims that the heads of the most common and rare ones are pretty much the same, but yeah, random people know better than them. Btw, i'm not here to argue with anyone or to change anyone's mind about anything, but I think new wet shavers that want to venture into the vintage razors should know a thing ot two before they spend their money on myths that some razors with slightly different decoration or pattern on the head and the handle provide with magical shaves. Of course, I don't expect most owners to have the balls to admit that as well, I mean if I was in their shoes, I would probably deny till the end as well.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
@Medivh I never said anything about “the rarest razors are always 100000000000000x better shavers”. I said the Hybrid is better than every other Tech. And I stated that is my opinion. I also said that it’s a fact that they have different geometry and therefore shave differently. Why don’t you go shave with one before you make such statements. I have all these razors, and yes, they are different. A toggle is different from a Fat Boy. An RFB is completely different from a NEW Long Comb. And a Hybrid Tech is different from every other Tech. So they shave differently. And in my opinion in each of these cases the more rare specimen is superior to its common counterpart. Nothing wrong with a regular Tech, as I have lots. But if you make me choose one, I’m gonna take the Hybrid every time.

@Medivh I never said anything about “the rarest razors are always 100000000000000x better shavers”. I said the Hybrid is better than every other Tech. And I stated that is my opinion. I also said that it’s a fact that they have different geometry and therefore shave differently. Why don’t you go shave with one before you make such statements. I have all these razors, and yes, they are different. A toggle is different from a Fat Boy. An RFB is completely different from a NEW Long Comb. And a Hybrid Tech is different from every other Tech. So they shave differently. And in my opinion in each of these cases the more rare specimen is superior to its common counterpart. Nothing wrong with a regular Tech, as I have lots. But if you make me choose one, I’m gonna take the Hybrid every time.

Like I said, i've asked others who own them as well and they don't see or feel any noticeable difference. Also, the Hybrid isn't that different than a regular FBT so again I don't see how it's going to shave better. The same goes for the British NEW models - the shave wasn't different at all. No offence, but i'm more likely to believe someone who I know in person and who think that there's no difference than some random guy on the internet. I know it's all opinions, but this pretty much reminds me of the King's New Clothes.
I've been in such arguments about watches, cars and many, many other things and I get that people have their favorites and they like them a lot, but there's a HUGE difference between - ''I like that one a bit more'' and ''that one is superior in every way compared to to rest''. Saying that one is better than another, is a very bold claim.

I don't have an overrated razor opinion but for underrated, I would say the ATT Windsor H1.

This thing hardly ever comes up in discussions but it's so damn smooth, like a GEM razor!
It's very efficient and the design is beautiful and elegant.

I have it with the 3 inch atlas handle and it's absolutely gorgeous, my favorite handle of all time!

It has become one of my top razors and I always lol forward to using it. The efficiency means I remain BBS up to night time!

Overrated: $195 FB, Timeless, Feather, Wolfman and Gold Dollar straight’s
Underrated: Gillette New RFB LC, FOCS and vintage French, Spanish, German and Swedish straight razors.

Most Over rated : anything which costs above $$$ and is considered the most superior shave tool because it is rare or hard to obtain or unobtanium. Includes wolfman, blackland, timeless, new Darwin Or tradere, just because one man is making, cnc millng and polishing razors out there all by himself and charging $$$ doesnt make it a better shave razor

Over rated : AC blade anything made in to SE razor. The blade's length makes it odd to shave. Get the AC single edge razor and shave with it as it was meant to be- like a straight razor. Period.

Underated: any cnc milled razor costing only $$ which is well designed, made to last and shaves equally well. The GC 84, ATT R1, Rockwell 6S, Fatips and vintage Gillette OCs are great to shave.

I bet that my 20$ plus something Nickel plated fatip piccolo OC Mk1 shaves better than any of them. Yes with the 2 seconds time spent per shave to adjust the blade alignment.

Most underated are Gem blade razors especially Msde by ever ready like the 1924 shovel head. They cost less and shave infinitely better than any modern DE razor made.

Last edited:
Most Over rated : anything which costs above $$$ and is considered the most superior shave tool because it is rare or hard to obtain or unobtanium. Includes wolfman, blackland, timeless, new Darwin Or tradere, just because one man is making, cnc millng and polishing razors out there all by himself and charging $$$ doesnt make it a better shave razor

Over rated : AC blade anything made in to SE razor. The blade's length makes it odd to shave. Get the AC single edge razor and shave with it as it was meant to be- like a straight razor. Period.

Underated: any cnc milled razor costing only $$ which is well designed, made to last and shaves equally well. The GC 84, ATT R1, Rockwell 6S, Fatips and vintage Gillette OCs are great to shave.

I bet that my 20$ plus something Nickel plated fatip piccolo OC Mk1 shaves better than any of them. Yes with the 2 seconds time spent per shave to adjust the blade alignment.

Most underated are Gem blade razors especially Msde by ever ready like the 1924 shovel head. They cost less and shave infinitely better than any modern DE razor made.

That's exactly what I think about those rare vintage razors which also happen to have a slightly different but super common version that isn't rare at all. Obviously, not all vintage and rare razors have inexpensive copies, so i'm not talking about them and I never said that they are bad shavers or anything like that, but claiming that they are very different and also better shavers is absurd. I also see that my comments have triggered a lots of people judging by their likes on the few comments that i've received.

On top of all their main argument is - ''b-b-but you haven't tried those razors so therefore you can't speak about them''. Well, none of us was born in 1645 as well but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it. Because SOME (not all) of the people who tried any of the razors that i've mentioned claim that they are better shavers and just like that I am supposed to take their word for it? Yeah, right.

Merkur 34c has been the most overrated razor I've ever used. It was way too mild and couldn't hold the blade straight no matter how much I fiddled with it, most likely just a defect, but still.

I'd say a Gillette New Long Comb is underrated but I've yet to hear anyone say anyhing bad about it, so there's that.

:D

Overrated:
Merkur 34c/DE89, can be an effort to align the blade straight which is a clumsy introduction to wet shaving. It's clear to see why Gillette and adopted the blade slot and corner guards in the 1930s. Better off with a Tech.

Rex Ambassador. Expensive yet easily obtainable. I do enjoy using, but price should be less.

Underrated:
Gillette Adjustable Fatboy. The tallpoppy, hated by haters the world over. They said it won't fit under my nose, that it's slimmer siblings are better, that it's over-price, that it's overrated. They work just fine for me, and over here can be picked up for around $80AUD around the same price as a Merkur 38/39c

Gillette English 2-piece New RFB LC. The RFB gives a different blade angle to other New LCs I've tried, the outcome is more aggressive and closer shave, and for me it's better. I prefer New Deluxe (the snob version of the New SC) so I dont use as often.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
That's exactly what I think about those rare vintage razors which also happen to have a slightly different but super common version that isn't rare at all. Obviously, not all vintage and rare razors have inexpensive copies, so i'm not talking about them and I never said that they are bad shavers or anything like that, but claiming that they are very different and also better shavers is absurd. I also see that my comments have triggered a lots of people judging by their likes on the few comments that i've received.

On top of all their main argument is - ''b-b-but you haven't tried those razors so therefore you can't speak about them''. Well, none of us was born in 1645 as well but that doesn't mean we can't talk about it. Because SOME (not all) of the people who tried any of the razors that i've mentioned claim that they are better shavers and just like that I am supposed to take their word for it? Yeah, right.
You completely miss my point. I have zero issue with inexpensive and/or common razors. I have lots of great razors I’ve picked up for $5 to $10 at the flea market. What I have issue with is you stating very emphatically that a Hybrid Tech is the same as a standard Tech, and that an RFB is the same as a standard NEW razor. These statements you make are simply not true. And then you make me out to be some kind of elitist razor snob, which I’m not. But apparently you believe what you want to believe and that is fine. You enjoy your razors and that’s great.

You completely miss my point. I have zero issue with inexpensive and/or common razors. I have lots of great razors I’ve picked up for $5 to $10 at the flea market. What I have issue with is you stating very emphatically that a Hybrid Tech is the same as a standard Tech, and that an RFB is the same as a standard NEW razor. These statements you make are simply not true. And then you make me out to be some kind of elitist razor snob, which I’m not. But apparently you believe what you want to believe and that is fine. You enjoy your razors and that’s great.

I just said that i've seen posts on this and a few other forums as well about the razors that i've mentioned and not all of them agree that they shave differently or better. Some of them (including people that I know of) claim that the RFB and the Hybrid Tech (I guess fans made up that name just like the Fatboy) are not different compared to their common counterparts. Judging by the photos that i've seen of the Hybrid and the British flat bottom Tech, aside from the slightly thick baseplate (the top cap looks the same) I really don't see any difference and the angle seems the same to me. The same story goes for the British NEW/Goodwill models as well. How can some people claim that they are different and superior at the time while others claim that they basically have the same and not better in any way is a mystery to me.

Hannah's Dad

I just said that i've seen posts on this and a few other forums as well about the razors that i've mentioned and not all of them agree that they shave differently or better. Some of them (including people that I know of) claim that the RFB and the Hybrid Tech (I guess fans made up that name just like the Fatboy) are not different compared to their common counterparts. Judging by the photos that i've seen of the Hybrid and the British flat bottom Tech, aside from the slightly thick baseplate (the top cap looks the same) I really don't see any difference and the angle seems the same to me. The same story goes for the British NEW/Goodwill models as well. How can some people claim that they are different and superior at the time while others claim that they basically have the same and not better in any way is a mystery to me.
I’ll echo Brad’s comment — you are free to believe whatever you want. Mileage and experience varies, of course. For me and my house, the Hybrid Tech is the smoothest razor on the planet; the RFB shaves quite differently than the Goodwill #160, and I prefer the latter of the two.

Perhaps one day you’ll have a chance to try one of these, and your belief will be informed by personal experience rather than hearsay.

I’ll echo Brad’s comment — you are free to believe whatever you want. Mileage and experience varies, of course. For me and my house, the Hybrid Tech is the smoothest razor on the planet; the RFB shaves quite differently than the Goodwill #160, and I prefer the latter of the two.

Perhaps one day you’ll have a chance to try one of these, and your belief will be informed by personal experience rather than hearsay.

I was comparing the RFB to the US NEW LC and the British Goodwill razors to the US ones. Anyways, I've stopped following all kinds of shaving hype trains ever since I bought a Rockwell 6S and I spend around one year pretending that I like it and then sold it. I've pretty much learned (for the most part) where to find the information that I need and from who and what to avoid. I consider B&B to be the best shaving forum from all the forums that i've been, but that doesn't mean that I don't see biased people or people who spread misinformation, myths and hypes from time to time.

The only Tech that i've kept is the flat bottom one, because I like the way it looks and because mine came with a tin box unlike the other Tech razors that i've had, but I don't think it shaves better or worse than any of them. I also have an US NEW LC, which rarely use ever since I've got the FOCS and I think it's a nice razor.

If I could I would gladly at least try the Hybrid and the British RFB or Goodwills, but seeing for how much they go, i'd much rather spend them on something else that i'm more than than 100% sure that I will like. For me they are just a rhodium plated Tech and a NEW LC with a flat bottom base plate and their prices are overared imho.

After all we all have our opinions, but i'm not here to argue with anyone or start fights. Especially with old forum members with flashy titles and certain privileges.

Hannah's Dad

I was comparing the RFB to the US NEW LC and the British Goodwill razors to the US ones. Anyways, I've stopped following all kinds of shaving hype trains ever since I bought a Rockwell 6S and I spend around one year pretending that I like it and then sold it. I've pretty much learned (for the most part) where to find the information that I need and from who and what to avoid. I consider B&B to be the best shaving forum from all the forums that i've been, but that doesn't mean that I don't see biased people or people who spread misinformation, myths and hypes from time to time.

The only Tech that i've kept is the flat bottom one, because I like the way it looks and because mine came with a tin box unlike the other Tech razors that i've had, but I don't think it shaves better or worse than any of them. I also have an US NEW LC, which rarely use ever since I've got the FOCS and I think it's a nice razor.

If I could I would gladly at least try the Hybrid and the British RFB or Goodwills, but seeing for how much they go, i'd much rather spend them on something else that i'm more than than 100% sure that I will like. For me they are just a rhodium plated Tech and a NEW LC with a flat bottom base plate and their prices are overared imho.

After all we all have our opinions, but i'm not here to argue with anyone or start fights. Especially with old forum members with flashy titles and certain privileges.
Haha ... you‘ve got me pegged. I am old.

Top Bottom