What's new

Minimalists

This has been a long journey for me. I did the Pokemon-type ADs the first couple of years (DEs! Brushes! Soaps! Gotta catch 'em all!), then reduced by a lot and went through a boars-and-tallow phase, then reduced further to a badger and a handful of soaps, then a synthetic and homemade soaps, and then back full-tilt into BAD. I'm now coming out of the fog of brush buying and determined to get back to the fundamental minimalism that has helped me actually enjoy the hobby. When I buy all the time, I not only clog my mental space but never get to actually use the stuff I have. I bought a bunch of boars recently and realized today that two of them have never even been used for a shave due to the quantity I have.

I can concur that the key to restraint is to stop looking, and that's what I have done when I have had stretches of a year or two or three with no purchases. But then I binge because look at all the new stuff that came along in the interim! So I think there's also a piece of this that's about reminding yourself that the glowing reviews of whatever the new hotness is are probably a result of
a. newbie enthusiasm
b. acquisition disorders in full effect
c. the thrill of the new
d. justifying one's purchases with overexuberance
e. relentless need to tinker
or some combination of these factors.

In the end, I've never used a brush better than my Omega 49 (I could say the same about my Semogue Mistura or my Semogue 2000 or my EJ XL synthetic) nor a soap better than my own or Speick or Palmolive (or ABCBA or...).

Truthfully, I can live with something like this:

Brush - Mixed knot or 2 boars used on alternating days
Razor - Rockwell 6S
Soap - Palmolive or my homemade soap; I'm okay with a little variety here as the soapmaking hobby is fun for me and it's not about acquisition but about creativity
Cream - None
Aftershave - Thayer's Superhazel or my homemade splash

That's it. I will document the gradual purge over the next few weeks here. I have a bunch of stuff to unload, and I'll try to record my thinking and process.

M

member 119848

I've always loved @KQY61 Stan's last line in his signature:

The Key to Success in a Restraint is to Stop Looking!
this is so true!
...and things get worse when clicking "add to basket" + "check out with Paypal"
All it takes are 2 clicks.

As well as being a minimalist, it seems I've crossed the line into being a frugalist.

My plan, which keeps changing, was to use up all my soaps one at a time. Then I found I got the same results with two passes as I did with one, so I went to one pass -- same results. (I do buff with water after.) Well, with fewer passes, my blades can easily last 20 shaves instead of 10.

Suddenly, I found myself streaking. It started innocently enough with the decision to finish a puck of Williams without using any other soaps. My streak is now at 38 days. With only one pass, I can see getting 200-300 shaves from this puck, and I have three more pucks. I have a tub of Arko I can trade with a friend for two more pucks of Williams. He likes the smell of Arko better than Williams.

I have 45 Astra SP blades. My friend started out with 100. I may be able to trade 37 Gillette WS blades for 37 Astra SP blades. In my opinion, they are equal to the Astras, and he might like the variety. That will allow for a streak of 1,640 shaves.

Well, I'm not going to give up a long streak to use my partially used jar of Cremo. It will find the trash one day. I have a can of Gillette Foamy I can use to clean the inside of my car windshield so it doesn't fog up.

So, who is up for a Cal Ripken streak challenge? He played in 2,632 consecutive baseball games. Resupplies are allowed as needed. The only rule is it needs to be documented from the start. If a person has documentation going back a year or two, that's fine. However, estimates on the number of shaves are not allowed. Skipped shaving days are allowed but don't count towards the streak.

upload_2019-4-30_7-54-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-30_7-53-54.png
    upload_2019-4-30_7-53-54.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 8
As well as being a minimalist, it seems I've crossed the line into being a frugalist.

My plan, which keeps changing, was to use up all my soaps one at a time. Then I found I got the same results with two passes as I did with one, so I went to one pass -- same results. (I do buff with water after.) Well, with fewer passes, my blades can easily last 20 shaves instead of 10.

Suddenly, I found myself streaking. It started innocently enough with the decision to finish a puck of Williams without using any other soaps. My streak is now at 38 days. With only one pass, I can see getting 200-300 shaves from this puck, and I have three more pucks. I have a tub of Arko I can trade with a friend for two more pucks of Williams. He likes the smell of Arko better than Williams.

I have 45 Astra SP blades. My friend started out with 100. I may be able to trade 37 Gillette WS blades for 37 Astra SP blades. In my opinion, they are equal to the Astras, and he might like the variety. That will allow for a streak of 1,640 shaves.

Well, I'm not going to give up a long streak to use my partially used jar of Cremo. It will find the trash one day. I have a can of Gillette Foamy I can use to clean the inside of my car windshield so it doesn't fog up.

So, who is up for a Cal Ripken streak challenge? He played in 2,632 consecutive baseball games. Resupplies are allowed as needed. The only rule is it needs to be documented from the start. If a person has documentation going back a year or two, that's fine. However, estimates on the number of shaves are not allowed. Skipped shaving days are allowed but don't count towards the streak.

View attachment 976878
Your approach sounds far too sensible. What you describe is the old me. I was a Williams user for 40+ years and I could drag out a puck for a very long time and I managed to use a blade until rust was showing along the edge...and a brush until there were only a few hairs. I now toss a blade after 7 shaves, and I use pucks and cream like there is no tomorrow. But I have to -- I tell myself -- because I have so much stuff!!! I should go back to my old frugal ways....but then where's the fun in that. Excess, flamboyance, waste, diversity are so much more fun.

Of course, I jest. Pay no attention to me...if, as you say, your heart is in minimalism then you are on the right track and I have to get back on my old track! I could make my current stock last well into the next century.

One of the big questions I had when I started DE shaving was how long does soap last? I started the Sabbatical shortly after, so there wasn't time to experiment.

So far, I have 75 shaves on a puck of Williams (50 gr.)
181 passes
Average passes: 2.41
Grams used: 21
Grams remaining: 29
Grams/pass: .116
Theoretical single pass shaves remaining: 250

Because of the uncertainties surrounding the puck absorbing water, the shaves remaining are for entertainment purposes only. I'll have a better number when I finish the puck.

yes please, TBoner!
The brushes:

Mondial Antica Barberia boar
Omega 49 w/white handle
Omega 49 w/black handle
Omega 11137
Omega Premium 011842 w/jade handle
Omega 10108
Semogue 620
Semogue 2000
Semogue 2018 TSN LE boar
Semogue Mistura Taj Resin
Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Maggard 2-band SHD in a Whipped Dog Handle
Edwin Jagger XL Synthetic
Rudy Vey handle w/Muhle 25mm synthetic knot
24mm Synbad from APShaveCo
Simpson 58 Best

Obviously, this is a tad excessive. I have acquired most of these relatively recently after using the EJ XL exclusively for about 5 years. A few months ago, on a whim, I bought the Semogue Mistura, which is an excellent brush that does exactly what I want. Then again, so did the EJ for a long time. The Mistura sent me looking at other natural hair brushes, and here we are. I think brushes have always been my toughest AD. I love many brushes, but I don't like having many brushes, as I don't get to use any of them often enough. Besides, the idea of 1 has always appealed to me.

As you can tell, I'm a boar fan. I have found that for me having only one boar doesn't work well. I like to use the on alternating days to allow them to fully dry and have a bit more backbone when used. Thus if I only keep one brush it will not be a boar. I may keep more than one but want to reduce by a lot. I would say my soft cap on brushes is 5, but I would really like to get it to 1. I just do better when there's not a decision to make there every day.

Brushes in the running to be The One (or part of the 5):
Semogue Mistura
EJ XL/Rudy Vey Muhle XL
Shavemac 2-band
Antica Barberia
Omega 49
Semogue 2000
Semogue TSN LE boar

Realistically, this is close to 5, and narrowing it further will be relatively easy. I need to give the LE boar a couple of uses to see if it can unseat the Antica or the Semogue 2000. If not, it's out. So an easy way to do 5 would be the one badger, the Mistura, two boars, and a synthetic. This would allow me to scratch the itch for something different now and then. Truthfully, the Mistura and the EJ XL just lather so well and feel just right for me, so either one of those could be The One, so if I keep 5, one of those 2 will rise to the top as my daily driver, and the rest will just be for occasional use.

That leaves a bunch of other brushes to PIF or sell, and I will likely do that soon, possibly as early as the coming weekend. Sorry to be long-winded. I'm thinking out loud here, sort of, hopefully in a way that's helpful to other people looking to reduce.

The brushes:

Mondial Antica Barberia boar
Omega 49 w/white handle
Omega 49 w/black handle
Omega 11137
Omega Premium 011842 w/jade handle
Omega 10108
Semogue 620
Semogue 2000
Semogue 2018 TSN LE boar
Semogue Mistura Taj Resin
Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Maggard 2-band SHD in a Whipped Dog Handle
Edwin Jagger XL Synthetic
Rudy Vey handle w/Muhle 25mm synthetic knot
24mm Synbad from APShaveCo
Simpson 58 Best

Obviously, this is a tad excessive. I have acquired most of these relatively recently after using the EJ XL exclusively for about 5 years. A few months ago, on a whim, I bought the Semogue Mistura, which is an excellent brush that does exactly what I want. Then again, so did the EJ for a long time. The Mistura sent me looking at other natural hair brushes, and here we are. I think brushes have always been my toughest AD. I love many brushes, but I don't like having many brushes, as I don't get to use any of them often enough. Besides, the idea of 1 has always appealed to me.

As you can tell, I'm a boar fan. I have found that for me having only one boar doesn't work well. I like to use the on alternating days to allow them to fully dry and have a bit more backbone when used. Thus if I only keep one brush it will not be a boar. I may keep more than one but want to reduce by a lot. I would say my soft cap on brushes is 5, but I would really like to get it to 1. I just do better when there's not a decision to make there every day.

Brushes in the running to be The One (or part of the 5):
Semogue Mistura
EJ XL/Rudy Vey Muhle XL
Shavemac 2-band
Antica Barberia
Omega 49
Semogue 2000
Semogue TSN LE boar

Realistically, this is close to 5, and narrowing it further will be relatively easy. I need to give the LE boar a couple of uses to see if it can unseat the Antica or the Semogue 2000. If not, it's out. So an easy way to do 5 would be the one badger, the Mistura, two boars, and a synthetic. This would allow me to scratch the itch for something different now and then. Truthfully, the Mistura and the EJ XL just lather so well and feel just right for me, so either one of those could be The One, so if I keep 5, one of those 2 will rise to the top as my daily driver, and the rest will just be for occasional use.

That leaves a bunch of other brushes to PIF or sell, and I will likely do that soon, possibly as early as the coming weekend. Sorry to be long-winded. I'm thinking out loud here, sort of, hopefully in a way that's helpful to other people looking to reduce.

Sounds like a good plan.

M

member 119848

@TBoner Tim, nice, you´re doing what I should have done. Explaining the thought process is a good inspiration for others.
Shaving brushes have never been a big interest of mine, yet my AD went out of control specifically in this area. Brushes are so affordable, that they are just too easy to order.
I totally understand your love for the Mistura! It has the prettiest handle IMO. And in comparaison with wood, resin is more water resistant.
Among my 8 brushes, which were all synthetics, I kept the brush that I used the most. Some brushes were only used twice...

I pifed my remaining 3 razors this week. In the process, I thought to myself "what am I doing! they are cool razors!". But once they were gone, I felt such a relief!
For months, I thought repeatedly about the fate of those razors, this drove me nuts! Now that they´re gone I feel free.

@TBoner Tim, nice, you´re doing what I should have done. Explaining the thought process is a good inspiration for others.
Shaving brushes have never been a big interest of mine, yet my AD went out of control specifically in this area. Brushes are so affordable, that they are just too easy to order.
I totally understand your love for the Mistura! It has the prettiest handle IMO. And in comparaison with wood, resin is more water resistant.
Among my 8 brushes, which were all synthetics, I kept the brush that I used the most. Some brushes were only used twice...

I pifed my remaining 3 razors this week. In the process, I thought to myself "what am I doing! they are cool razors!". But once they were gone, I felt such a relief!
For months, I thought repeatedly about the fate of those razors, this drove me nuts! Now that they´re gone I feel free.

I think affordability of brushes plays a huge role, especially with boars and synthetics. The Mistura is really nice to use. The handle is ergonomic, the brush is dense and has backbone but is very soft at the tips. It's terrific.

I hear you on feeling free when stuff leaves the shave den/house. I am really looking forward to being rid of these brushes. I have enjoyed trying them, but the psychic hold they have when they're on my shelf is too great. You'd think I'd have sorted this out in a previous purge, but I think I never had the explicit goal of being down to 1 or anything specifically minimalist, and so it was easy to add things back.

I'd estimate I've owned over 100 different brushes down through the years. Just silly.

Duke 3, Emillion, Commodore X3, Tulip 2, Vulfix 2234, Kent BK4, Rooney 1/2, a couple of TGN Rudy Veys, 8-10 Shavemacs, Savile Row 3120 and 3122, Semogue SOC and a couple other Semogue LEs, at least a dozen different Omega models...why? At every point in time, one has been the favorite I wished I was using when the others were in rotation. So, time to stick to one.

M

member 119848

I am really looking forward to being rid of these brushes. I have enjoyed trying them, but the psychic hold they have when they're on my shelf is too great.
I had the same hold. The display of a line of brushes represented abundance and refinement in my mind (unconsciously). But in practice, I would always pick the same brush. What I was holding on to, was not the brushes themselves, but some concept of a den.
Some days I felt guilty of having bought them and not use them. So I would choose one and use it. But the truth is, I didn´t enjoy that change. Now that I have only one, I don´t have to make any decision. I just pick what I have and enjoy shaving. No decision fatigue.

Fabi, exactly. Decision fatigue is a major factor in wanting to remain/return to minimalism. I like the idea of the den, but not the guilt of having unused items.

I used the Semogue TSN LE today. It's a wonderful boar brush. I will probably keep it. The Omega 49 is probably staying, too. I used one in the hospital when my son was born, so there's some sentimental attachment (even though I ultimately sold that one and bought this one). If I can get around the head game there, that one will go. I decided the Semogue 2000 and Antica Barberia are out for sure. That leaves:

EJ XL
Mistura
Semogue TSN
Omega 49
Shavemac 2-band

That's five, four if I can talk myself into PIFing the Omega 49. That may be far enough to take things for now. I think to avoid the binge/purge cycle, having one each - synthetic, badger, boar, mixed - might be prudent. That said, I feel pretty sure that once there's a tiny group like this, one will rise to the top. I'll just allow myself to reach for it exclusively until I really feel the urge to use one of the others. If that never happens, so much the better. I can PIF or sell them down the road.

M

member 119848

Got rid of the blade bank. Why collect used blades?
Here is how to safely dispose of a blade in the bin:
798521D0-2D53-4C57-B055-ACEED137E25D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fabi, I have had a blade bank in use throughout the time I've been wetshaving. I suppose it is a bit silly given how many sharp edges I throw in the trash anyway. I'll have to think about this. Once the purge is over, I have been considering picking up a straight again anyway. Learning a new skill is better than buying new stuff, and while there will be an initial purchase, there are many straight shaving minimalists. A couple of stones, a strop, and the blade.

Anyway, about the brush purge. I decided after using it this morning that I don't need nor want the Semogue LE boar. That would put me at 3 - mixed, badger, and synthetic. I can live with 3. I like the idea of keeping a boar, but the reality is that I will use it very rarely if I do. Maybe one of the 49s instead since I am planning to PIF those anyway and won't recoup any of my expense on them.

I already PIF'd one boar, the 11137, and will probably put together a sale this week.

One more step taken toward minimalism: I ditched my "scuttle," since I forget to put the brush in it about half the time anyway, and it clutters my space. It's a gravy container from World Market that I've had a few years now. Not expensive; just in the way. I do like to soak my boar and mixed brush before use, which I guess is another reason to consider ditching them. I figure if I put those in the closet and only pull them out occasionally, I will just grab a mug to soak them in from the kitchen. Why keep ancillary hardware that won't be part of the daily routine? Besides, very warm lather has never been particularly important to me.

The razors. I have owned a bunch of DEs and a few SEs (and a couple of straights) over the years, but I only have a handful left:

EJ Barley Chrome 89
EJ Chatsworth
Gillette Red Tip
Gillette Superspeed (from my dad's birth quarter)
Gillette Slim Adjustable (this was my grandfather's)
GEM Clog-Pruf
Rockwell 6S

I am not interested in the SE anymore, so letting go of that is easy. I have used an EJ for most of the last 7 years, but I decided recently that I wanted something more durable (threads on my EJ gave out, and while I have this redundant backup, I would rather have something that will last decades) and slightly more aggressive. The Red Tip might fit the bill, but I'm digging the 6S a lot.

The head games here are, for whatever reason, all driven by the thought of handing a razor or two down to my son. I don't actually generally like the idea of keeping things to hand down, as I know it often turns out to be more of a burden than a gift. To that end, I'm inclined to get rid of everything but the 6S. The Slim Adjustable is not in great shape, definitely user grade, and it was my grandfather's. Given that it would likely not bring much cash, I might keep it. The rest need to go. The Superspeed from my dad's birth quarter is terrific, but he never used it, and he doesn't DE shave and never has in my lifetime. I don't shave with it. This is a pretty easy one, I guess.

Rockwell 6S. Adjustable, durable, American-made, shaves great. I even dig the matte look. Elemental.

I have always liked the concept and the look of the 6S and read great things about it. If I hadn’t already found something(s) I really wanted to stick with, I would have been tempted to try it. If you really are going to pare down to one, with the idea of handing something on, it seems like a great choice to me.

Top Bottom