What's new

Minimalists

Here I am, getting back into shaving for work, and finding that I enjoy taking a bit of time for my appearance every day, but also that my wife (who has only known me with a beard) really enjoys my smooth chin...

Anywho, I've got one razor, one brush, one mug, and looking for my ideal blade, soap, and aftershave. No reason to jump around. I might use a more aggressive blade some days and an easier blade other days, but I'm totally a Minimalist with a capital M.
TNS

Welcome aboard! My own search for the perfect blade is linked in my signature. It was fun for a while, but eventually it felt great to settle down with one thing and focus on the shave instead of the equipment. Have fun!

Wow @Tokyospike, that is an impressive turnabout from trying everything under the sun before landing upon minimalism!

I have been shaving with a single smallish $8 (purchased new at Pasteur) bar of Mitchell's Woolfat soap for a year with many shaves remaining, with either of two brushes. Today I went 108 shaves with a Gillette Silver Blue blade which I feel is minimalistic to use one blade for as long as it will deliver acceptable shave quality. I used my 1966 Slim today which delivered a mostly BBS shave, otherwise DFS. I purchased my Slim online inexpensively along with two other vintage daily razors. I feel like I don't need to purchase anything, so I relate to minimalism. I also "could" sell some of my alternatives but they bring me joy so I'm going to continue with my modest kit.

Count me in! I just got into wet shaving and while I enjoy reading about all the different gear that people collect and go through I want to settle on a simple and effective kit. I just got my first razor, the Gillette Slim, with the intention of using for the rest of my life. Seeing as it's adjustable I hope I'll get by with just the one.

I was wondering what the best option for aftershave or balm would be? I'm basically trying to be frugal and mindful of the environmental impact (so buying natural and long-lasting products). Maybe wytch hazel is the way to go?

Edit: I realise you use signatures to announce your club but I disabled them for a more minimal browsing experience :001_rolle

I was wondering what the best option for aftershave or balm would be? I'm basically trying to be frugal and mindful of the environmental impact (so buying natural and long-lasting products). Maybe wytch hazel is the way to go?
Welcome sm1h. I like Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Cheap and available at your grocer. Qualifies as minimal in my book.

Count me in! I just got into wet shaving and while I enjoy reading about all the different gear that people collect and go through I want to settle on a simple and effective kit. I just got my first razor, the Gillette Slim, with the intention of using for the rest of my life. Seeing as it's adjustable I hope I'll get by with just the one.

Edit: I realise you use signatures to announce your club but I disabled them for a more minimal browsing experience :001_rolle
Nivea Sensitive or Sensitive Cooling work for me.

Welcome sm1h. I like Aqua Velva Ice Blue. Cheap and available at your grocer. Qualifies as minimal in my book.
Thanks! I never heard of it so had to look it up. I think it's quite expensive but maybe because I'm in EU. My girlfriend has a problem with menthol as well so even if it's a light scent I don't want to risk it!

Nivea Sensitive or Sensitive Cooling work for me.
Nivea is easier to get a hold of and more affordable so I will give this a try!

Would you say aftershave is a must-have or a nice-to-have?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Most of my shaves are without any kind of post shave. Maybe just a spray of scent a little later. If I have any irritation or dryness, i'll use Nivea Sensitive. If my skin feels a little oily, or want to use something but Nivea might be too heavy for that day, I'll use a cheap aftershave (pharmacy own brand), because the scent doesn't linger too long. If I want to wear a scent, I'll use an Eau de toilette.

Thanks! I never heard of it so had to look it up. I think it's quite expensive but maybe because I'm in EU. My girlfriend has a problem with menthol as well so even if it's a light scent I don't want to risk it!

Nivea is easier to get a hold of and more affordable so I will give this a try!

If you have dry skin like me, some sort of moisturizer is a must, especially if you spend any time outdoors in cold weather. The fancy glass bottles scented with evergreen, grapefruit, lavender, whatever, to me are just nice to have.

M

member 119848

There I am: 1-1-1-1. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
15 to 20 razors have been in my hands for the last two years, and 8 brushes. I never went crazy on soaps, but I will still remain more or less seasonal. I won´t shave with a high-mentholized soap during the cold winter months ;)
I still have 3 bakelite open comb slants (BOCS) in the drawer, that I am now ready to let go. They will be pifed or sold cheaply on B&B very soon.
:) I feel relieved from not being in the search for the ultimate setup anymore. Because I have found it. No more psychic energy wasted on ADs! When a product comes to be used up, I will still treat myself with the next... but my minimalistic balance is reached:
EF41A59A-6F9D-4485-9C07-13B05B2162A5.jpeg

15 to 20 razors have been in my hands for the last two years, and 8 brushes. I never went crazy on soaps, but I will still remain more or less seasonal. I won´t shave with a high-mentholized soap during the cold winter months ;)
I still have 3 bakelite open comb slants (BOCS) in the drawer, that I am now ready to let go. They will be pifed or sold cheaply on B&B very soon.
:) I feel relieved from not being in the search for the ultimate setup anymore. Because I have found it. No more psychic energy wasted on ADs! When a product comes to be used up, I will still treat myself with the next... but my minimalistic balance is reached:
View attachment 975408

Congratulations.

View attachment 975408
Wow. I am impressed. I dream of this, but I know it won't happen. I collect razors (DE, SE, SR) so the notion of getting down to one is highly unlikely. And soaps...they seem to multiply on their own. But I can live vicariously through your success. I will ride your wave.

Top Bottom