What's new

Minimalists

M

member 119848

Hey, thank you @Rusty Blade and @Tokyospike !
Even without the collector mindset, there are powerful temptations in this forum... it´s not always easy.
Rusty blade, your soaps will eventually get used up! Or you can PIF some, it will make you feel good. Just a thought... is PIFing an act of generosity when coming from a minimalist? I see it as transferring a burden! :tongue_sm

Time for confession. I have let the collector mindset creep in the past few months. It started out innocently enough with a Semogue Mistura brush (that's a keeper) and a couple of creams from Bullgoose (free shipping!). Fast forward and the boars have multiplied, a new badger has been added, and it's time to purge again. I like a lot of what I've picked up, but it's just too much stuff. It clutters my brain and my physical space. I will probably keep a handful of brushes - always my weakness - but I'm still going the one razor route, and of course I continue to stave off soap AD. I think I'll likely PIF the creams I bought, and possibly some of the brushes.

Less is more.

This simple calculation has worked to keep me from going too far down the rabbit hole. I spent too much at the beginning because I overstocked for the Sabbatical. Now, I can go 820 more days without buying anything else. My cost/shave then will be $0.099.

upload_2019-4-26_9-49-49.png

@Fabi

Nice setup and decision. I have realised that I can be minimalist in the sense that I know what I could choose as a setup.

What razor is that? Looks interesting.

M

member 119848

@Fabi

Nice setup and decision. I have realised that I can be minimalist in the sense that I know what I could choose as a setup.

What razor is that? Looks interesting.
It´s the Timeless bronze... with the two base plates SB .38 (a comfortable daily driver) and the .78 OC (the R41- like efficient plate).
Because I shave every day, I don´t have to make any decision, it´s the comfortable plate. (which is plenty efficient for a 24h- stubble)

What would you choose as a setup, albsat?

It´s the Timeless bronze... with the two base plates SB .38 (a comfortable daily driver) and the .78 OC (the R41- like efficient plate).
Because I shave every day, I don´t have to make any decision, it´s the comfortable plate. (which is plenty efficient for a 24h- stubble)

What would you choose as a setup, albsat?

It looks a great razor.

Theoretically, a Yaqi rainbow brush , Tabac soap, injector E2, Nivea comfort AS lotion and Nivea Balsam.

However, I like gem razors and using a shavette time after time. I like affordable items that bring quality.

Unfortunately I haven't found a good De razor, although I have only tried very few of them.

M

member 119848

It looks a great razor.

Theoretically, a Yaqi rainbow brush , Tabac soap, injector E2, Nivea comfort AS lotion and Nivea Balsam.

However, I like gem razors and using a shavette time after time. I like affordable items that bring quality.

Unfortunately I haven't found a good De razor, although I have only tried very few of them.
Tabac is great! (that´s what I used before I became vegan) And Yaqi brushes too, I settled on the big, 30mm Yaqi Professional despite that I face-lather!
I did go "luxury" with the Timeless razor, but the money bought me a nice craftsmanship, more than better shaves. If my setup would be chromed zamak, it would be an DE89 with an extra R41 head.
I have never tried any GEM... but if I did, I would surely not be settled yet. Or may be sooner..

My goal is to join this group too but I’m probably a couple years out with the stuff I have. My ideal rotation would be three soaps (already selected), two razors, one aftershave and balm.

Someday soon....

My goal is to join this group too but I’m probably a couple years out with the stuff I have. My ideal rotation would be three soaps (already selected), two razors, one aftershave and balm.

Someday soon....

In my opinion, you are a minimalist at the moment you commit to reducing your inventory. It's going to take me 820 more days to fully get there. That's how long I can last without buying anything.

In my opinion, you are a minimalist at the moment you commit to reducing your inventory. It's going to take me 820 more days to fully get there. That's how long I can last without buying anything.

Thanks. I was part of the sabbatical this year with this in mind but wasn’t quite able to make it. I think once I go a full year without any increase in inventory (exception of stuff I’m out of like alum) I’d be more aligned with hitting my minimalist goals.

I’ll check in maybe in 6 to 8 months and see where I’m at at that point. But as of now my den is too nuts to say I’m a minimalist. I’ll get there.

M

member 119848

Someday soon....
Kluber, @GaryTha is right, the commitment with yourself is an big step forward. That alone deserves encouragement! Welcome aboard!
We shouldn´t see this brotherhood as "reserved" for accomplished minimalists. This thread is here go get inspired, share, and get support.
If you are already satisfied with your shaving gear, you can start selecting your preferred products. And why not selecting what you would wish to let go first. Downsizing is often done step by step, and sometimes it takes time being ready to let go something. We are all bound to our things.
And if you crave buying something, make a deal with yourself: "if some gear comes in, some gear has to go out". It works, at least in preventing having the den growing.
There are good minimalist tips on Youtube that are inspiring. But its always harder to downsize a hobby...

Hey, thank you @Rusty Blade and @Tokyospike !
Even without the collector mindset, there are powerful temptations in this forum... it´s not always easy.
Rusty blade, your soaps will eventually get used up! Or you can PIF some, it will make you feel good. Just a thought... is PIFing an act of generosity when coming from a minimalist? I see it as transferring a burden! :tongue_sm
I have PIFd a lot of my shaving soaps and creams already. I am down to one shoe box full of soaps and a few of those might go soon if I don't think I will use them in a reasonable period of time. In the past, on a couple of occasions, I made up a bunch of shaving packs (soaps or creams, AS/ASB, Wilkinson Sword brushes, and disposable razors) and took them to a local men's shelter.

M

member 119848

In the past, on a couple of occasions, I made up a bunch of shaving packs (soaps or creams, AS/ASB, Wilkinson Sword brushes, and disposable razors) and took them to a local men's shelter.
Ideal! I like that...giving up stuff at someone that really needs it.

Last evening, I looked at those who joined this thread back in 2014. I couldn't find a single person who is still a minimalist. Clearly, it's more difficult than it seems.

In my opinion, minimalism isn't about reducing inventory right away, although this may work for many. It's about buying only what a person needs and not buying the things they want. For instance, if I give up buying something concerning shaving, I may be able to buy a new shirt or a pair of jeans I need. In the end, I should have clothes in good repair and enough to shave with. This can carry over to a person's whole life without making them seem weird to others.

The problem with people waiting until they are successful before they join this thread is there will be no history of processes that worked. If a person waits to join until they are successful, looking back, the journey will seem easier than it was. Those who wait will miss out on the support others may give along the way.

Last evening, I looked at those who joined this thread back in 2014. I couldn't find a single person who is still a minimalist. Clearly, it's more difficult than it seems.
The problem with people waiting until they are successful before they join this thread is there will be no history of processes that worked. If a person waits to join until they are successful, looking back, the journey will seem easier than it was. Those who wait will miss out on the support others may give along the way.
Good observation. It may be useful if guys who achieved a minimalist kit (definition is wide open on this one) posted how they actually achieved a minimalist den.

M

member 119848

Once my 3 remaining bakelite razors will be given away, my minimalist goals (1-1-1-1) will be achieved. Of course, the big question remains: "will I stay minimalist?"
Whatever the answer is, I´m willing to share and contribute to this thread a little more.

What fueled my AD was the quest to find the perfect gear. To keep my minimalist goals, I sold some of my razors after acquiring what I thought could be "the one". But this quest seemed to be never-ending.
When I look back, I wish that the money spent could have been elsewhere allocated. RAD sucks energy, I got tired and ashamed of it.
I have a family with 3 kids, and my partner is also on the "minimalism" wagon. We are in a decluttering process, step by step. So questions like: "what if I use this again?" or "what if I have remorse getting rid of it?" are too well known to me.
What really helps is stop buying impulsively, and find a process to get unused things out of the house.

Little achievements are actually very satisfying. And the process of downsizing is self-rewarding.

I've always loved @KQY61 Stan's last line in his signature:

The Key to Success in a Restraint is to Stop Looking!
Easier said than done. While I have been a collector of vintage razors I only have 2 modern DE. But recently I have found my eye wandering to a few modern DE razors. Very tempting. Even though my head says I dont need them, my heart says, click "'Complete Purchase'".

Top Bottom