What's new

Minimalists

After much deliberation, I decided to roll with my Tech and my RazoRock Hawk as my two razors, plus a couple of cartridge handles in case I need to travel by air (I travel carry-on and I hate hunting down blades when I arrive). Every shave den should have a Tech, and the Hawk just delivers amazing shaves. I think I'm pretty well set now.

After much deliberation, I decided to roll with my Tech and my RazoRock Hawk as my two razors, plus a couple of cartridge handles in case I need to travel by air (I travel carry-on and I hate hunting down blades when I arrive). Every shave den should have a Tech, and the Hawk just delivers amazing shaves. I think I'm pretty well set now.
Sound logic. I agree. The Tech is shaving perfection, an engineering marvel. As for the Hawk, I dont have one, but hope to have one soon.

And of course after I wrote that, I changed my mind again. Still keeping the Tech, though, along with a backup Wilkinson Sword Classic (black plastic version). It'll be nice to have fewer choices...

M

member 119848

I have an update that you guys might find interesting:
not so long ago I wrote a post in this thread showing my one-and-only razor acomplishement.
The razor was a Timeless bronze. A gorgeous razor! But I always felt like using a Rolls-Royce while shaving with it. But the razor was not only too heavy for my taste, it needed maintenance due to the material, and one day when dropped into the sink I almost got a heart-attack!

I realized I had become like Golum in some way, with my precious razor. "my precious... the one that rule them all..." haha!
upload_2019-8-24_11-56-58.jpeg
Yes, I ´m exaggerating a bit. But there´s some truth to it… I didn´t own the razor, the razor owned me.
I needed peace-of-mind while using a razor every day. So I decided to let it go.

I have put the Timeless bronze on sale, and ordered a Timeless aluminum 3 weeks ago. The new razor hasn´t arrived yet, but in the meantime I have put my hands on a Fatip.
Now I´m so satisfied with the Fatip.
As soon as my Timeless aluminum arrives I will put it on sale and the Fatip will be my only razor.
I´m just happy being relieved from a burden :001_smile
3F3BCB99-886B-4A03-A232-CA040676B60B.jpeg

Dad had this nailed.
He had one razor, one brush, used the same soap and blades for decades.
He bought a Super Speed in the late 60s and an electric when he was put on blood thinners.
A good role model.

Dad had this nailed.
He had one razor, one brush, used the same soap and blades for decades.
He bought a Super Speed in the late 60s and an electric when he was put on blood thinners.
A good role model.
Yup. Same with my Dad. And not only that he generally used his blades until he got weepers and then changed. I wish he was alive so I could ask him how many shaves he got out of a blade. He bought a Gillette Executive back in 1958 and used it exclusively until he couldn't find DE blades and switched to carts sometime back in the 80s.

I think I may now qualify for this club. I'm down to 1 razor and 1 brush. RR GC .84 and RR Big Bruce (plus 1 backup of each in storage). I'm culling down the soaps by 3017ing them. I have about 5 remaining. I've got about 800-1000 blades of different types but primarily using Feathers at this point. Plan on selling the others off soon. Maybe i'll keep some GSBs around for good measure though;)

I have an update that you guys might find interesting:
not so long ago I wrote a post in this thread showing my one-and-only razor acomplishement.
The razor was a Timeless bronze. A gorgeous razor! But I always felt like using a Rolls-Royce while shaving with it. But the razor was not only too heavy for my taste, it needed maintenance due to the material, and one day when dropped into the sink I almost got a heart-attack!

I realized I had become like Golum in some way, with my precious razor. "my precious... the one that rule them all..." haha!
View attachment 1010656
Yes, I ´m exaggerating a bit. But there´s some truth to it… I didn´t own the razor, the razor owned me.
I needed peace-of-mind while using a razor every day. So I decided to let it go.

I have put the Timeless bronze on sale, and ordered a Timeless aluminum 3 weeks ago. The new razor hasn´t arrived yet, but in the meantime I have put my hands on a Fatip.
Now I´m so satisfied with the Fatip.
As soon as my Timeless aluminum arrives I will put it on sale and the Fatip will be my only razor.
I´m just happy being relieved from a burden :001_smile
View attachment 1010655
Great and entertaining post, thanks. I more than get it. I tend to drop, break and lose things, so the idea of using, and especially traveling, with high-end razor jewelry doesn't work for me. No knock on Timeless, I'm sure they make great products.

M

member 119848

Great and entertaining post, thanks. I more than get it. I tend to drop, break and lose things, so the idea of using, and especially traveling, with high-end razor jewelry doesn't work for me. No knock on Timeless, I'm sure they make great products.
Timeless is one of the best razor manufacturers out there, I can´t blame them for that :001_smile
What I like about their products is their precise machining.
OK, with Fatip I have to check the blade alignment before shaving. On mine, I rarely have to adjust the blade, but still have to check it.
Other than that, it remains a joy to use, and I don´t miss the high-end quality aspect of a razor.
Things don ´t have to be high-end to be long-lasting and highly functional.
Minimalism is mostly seen as owning less. But what I am seeking a bit more to free myself from the burden of materialism. I don´t want to seek luxury minimalism. "Voluntary Simplicity" would be a better term to describe it.

Even though I have removed the M from my signature line and abandoned the minimalism I once so desired, I still enjoy reading about guys who are more diligent than I to the philosophy of minimalism. Good on you!

I love the idea of reducing the clutter. It's a burden. Currently, I am trying to use up all I have and participate in restraints so as to control the consumer in me. It will take a long time reducing to a minimal set.

Thank you all for the inspiration! I hope I can join you some day. :)

Timeless is one of the best razor manufacturers out there, I can´t blame them for that :001_smile
What I like about their products is their precise machining.
OK, with Fatip I have to check the blade alignment before shaving. On mine, I rarely have to adjust the blade, but still have to check it.
Other than that, it remains a joy to use, and I don´t miss the high-end quality aspect of a razor.
Things don ´t have to be high-end to be long-lasting and highly functional.
Minimalism is mostly seen as owning less. But what I am seeking a bit more to free myself from the burden of materialism. I don´t want to seek luxury minimalism. "Voluntary Simplicity" would be a better term to describe it.

I like this line of thinking.

I don't own anything too expensive, per se, but it's a good to hear you are intentionally doing such and happy with the results.

While I definitely need to declutter, I also need to keep your line of thinking in mind. I know I would be happy having a minimal, great, AND cheap setup. [emoji846]

But what I am seeking a bit more to free myself from the burden of materialism. I don´t want to seek luxury minimalism. "Voluntary Simplicity" would be a better term to describe it.

Even though I have removed the M from my signature line and abandoned the minimalism I once so desired, I still enjoy reading about guys who are more diligent than I to the philosophy of minimalism. Good on you!

+7 :a14:

M

member 119848

I like this line of thinking.
I like it too.
But I´m not the creator of it. People don´t have ideas, ideas own people!
Still thank you for the approbation :001_smile
I don't own anything too expensive, per se, but it's a good to hear you are intentionally doing such and happy with the results.

While I definitely need to declutter, I also need to keep your line of thinking in mind. I know I would be happy having a minimal, great, AND cheap setup. [emoji846]
Having a bit less than "too much" is definitely doable!
Cheers.

M

member 119848

"perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away"
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I finally received my Aluminum, so the Fatip was easily allowed to go.
My shaving-set has reached perfection!
056BC178-DE5F-4C82-8C4C-F8588B72DBF4.jpeg

"perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away"
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

I finally received my Aluminum, so the Fatip was easily allowed to go.
My shaving-set has reached perfection!
View attachment 1018602
Seriously...I am impressed. I really dont think I could do what you have done. Well done!

M

member 119848

Seriously...I am impressed. I really dont think I could do what you have done. Well done!
Thank you, but getting there wasn´t that hard because I never had collected too much. The accumulation phase was still necessary to choose what I liked the most.
There are still 2 other soaps in the drawer that are being used up. But I won´t buy any new soap until the end of the last puck is reached.
Now the hardest is to keep it that way.
I´m still addicted to Badger & Blade, which is the main source of AD.
Threads like 3017 or Sabbaticals are surely worth participating into. :001_smile

I like my boars and AS's too much. And having one of each type of razor (DE, SE, SR, and injector) doesn't help. And thinking about it, using alum, WH, and AS adds a bit as well. Don't think I'll join anytime soon.

I have actually reduced the number of soaps I have, and that process will continue 'til down to two. :)

Minimalist. Defined as what? One razor, one brand of blade, one brand of soap, one brush, one bowl/scuttle? Or forgo the bowl, face lathering only? How minimal is minimal?
How about one razor
one blade, one soap, one brush, one shave mug? That is a basic traditional old time shave. Then whatever shaving add-ons pre or post shave, just no rotation.

Top Bottom