What's new

Merkur Futur -1st Impression

This is my first and likely last razor purchase. The thing is a panzer. Once you get used to it, i couldnt imagine a better more irritation free shave. I have alot of other AD's but RAD is not one of them and believe me, that says alot!

I've been shaving with a DE for only 2 months now...so I'm quite a newbie when compared to many others on these forums.

I've had around 30+ shaves and while I'll continue to strive for improvement, I'm very happy with my technique and performance.

The Merkur Futur has been my razor for all these shaves. I realise that RAD is a common disorder amongst many members, and I was positive I'd succumb to RAD as well. However, whilst I have nothing to compare against, the Futur is brilliant and this may well be my first and last DE razor!!

I've been using mainly Astra's, Red IPs and Derbys in my Futur. However, this morning I decided to have my first shave with a Feather. All I can say is WOW! I thought I was getting BBS before, but this is ULTRA BBS. The Feather is definitely the best blade I've used thus far. Again, I think I'll just continue to shave with the Futur/Feather combination as I just don't see how I could get a closer, better shave. And if I did manage to get a better shave, it would be by the closest of margins because my shave this morning was unbelievable. I was using Trumpers Violet...this cream seems to get both positive and negative feedback but I love it. Lathers well, looks funky, delivers a fine shave and it's the best smelling cream I've tried.

Anyway, I just wanted to say how happy I am with the Futur/Feather combo and this is what I'll be sticking with from now on. Highly recommended!!!

I've have a Progress and I love it. The only problem is, you have to calibrate it. I The first time I did it, I got Tennis Elbow. Like Ouch said, "Isn't that how everybody gets Tennis Elbow?":001_smile

So I finally bought a Futur. Great Thread. It doesn't have much of a safety bar. It doesn't look like the Safety bar on the HD or my other Merkurs. I'm transitioning from an adjustable, so hopefully the transition will go smoothly.

Is there really a "long handled Progress?" So then, there's one that comes with a short handle by contrast? :confused:

My Futur came in yesterday. Getting ready to take it for its maiden voyage in about 30 minutes!

:biggrin:

Eric

I've been eyeballing another Futur for a long time now. Had one and sold/traded it.

Seller's remorse......

I'm resisting that urge after selling mine on. I feel I need to concentrate on my Superspeed technique instead, as I am sure I can get as good a shave with one of them if I only get it right. that said, no-one should ever regret buying a Futur.

B

BrightFutur

As I've said in other posts - fantastic razor. The first DE that I bought, and I thought it would be my last. Turns out I like having new toys a little bit too much, but the Futur has always been, and will always be the ideal razor for me.

I found that having it as a first DE razor really helped me with the concept of 'zero pressure', since I just set it on my face and learned how to steer it around.

That being said, I've never felt nearly as comfortable J hooking or blade buffing with the Futur compared to my SuperSpeed and (now) my fat boy.

It's coming from West coast shaving....but I'm deployed, so it's just a matter of me having absolutely no patience at all!

I absolutely adore my Futur. Ive shaved with it twice and its given me the most comfortable and smooth shaves ever. Ive used it on setting 3 and I hardly get any nicks with it. If I do get a nick it heals pretty fast.

As well as the shave quality I love its awesome build quality and tactile feeling. That loud 'Click' when you snap the head back on is so satisifying. Im still in early shaves with it as you know but im sure every day the shave will get better and better.

Merkur should discontinue the Vision and market the Futur as their flagship razor.

It's coming from West coast shaving....but I'm deployed, so it's just a matter of me having absolutely no patience at all!

All good things come to he who wait!!! lol.
As you most likely already know, depending on where your active, just a word of advice on ordering shave gear, NEVER ORDER ANY TUB TYPE CREAMS!!!

Love my Futur :biggrin:

Interesting thread.

I've seen a few on the Futur. I'm currently using a cheap plastic wilkinson DE Razor. I almost picked one of these up from Trumpers, but the guy just said if you prepare your face well any razors is good. I'm not so convinced after reading this. Clearly there is an advantage in getting a quality razor and the futur seems to be the one.

The Futur is indeed an excellent razor. The adjuster on mine was really stiff and felt slightly notchy but a drop of machine oil soon fixed that and it adjusts like a charm now. I still rate this as one of the best DE razors around.

I shaved with a Futur for 3-4 years and it held up admirably. I can't imagine any longevity issues with that razor.

Top Bottom