What's new

Merkur Futur Review and Thoughts.

Could you please comment if you needed some time to get used to thickness of the handle and just overall size, or you knew right from the first moment it was a good fit?

I am also interested in how @Mark Szorady feels about the handle. I love it and for me, it click within 2 to 3 uses. At first I was concern about cutting myself when changing adjustments, switching blades, and it slipping out from my hand due to its smoothness, somehow my hand, muscle memory, weight, fear, all disappear after 3 use.

Could you please comment if you needed some time to get used to thickness of the handle and just overall size, or you knew right from the first moment it was a good fit?

I am also interested in how @Mark Szorady feels about the handle.

Thanks, guys.:) Regarding size and feel: To me, the Futur immediately felt streamlined. One would think the size of the razor head would make it too cumbersome and awkward, especially in shaving tight areas. But the opposite happened for me. The Futur felt quite nimble. The indentation in the handle gives the user a natural grip. I had no problem adapting to it right out of the box.:) The only thing I would change, perhaps, is to give the handle a bit of knurling here and there for when a VERY slick shaving cream or soap is used. Even then, I found no excess slippage, provided you simply wipe your hands now and again.:)

In short, I really LOVE the handle.:) Overall, I really love this razor.:) Weight, balance, size, chroming, etc. And loading and unloading a blade is so very easy! A great design!

As I mentioned in my review, I bought the Futur used from a B&B member. He had moved on to SE razors.

Coincidentally, in messaging with Derrick (who sold me the razor) I, too, have now adopted SE razors. I use a Gem Micromatic safety razor (from the 1930s or 40s!).:) The Gem MMCP is a wonderful razor and gives a very close shave. But, it is a different feel altogether.

I like variety.:) So, I doubt, very much, I'm ever gong to give up my Futur! As much as I really love the shave the Gem MMCP gives me, I simply love having a very good, weighted adjustable razor in the wings. And on those days when I really need something on the mild side (so as to give my face and skin a rest), it's nice to pull out the Futur, dial it to "one," and still be able to clean up.:)

Thanks, guys.:) Regarding size and feel: To me, the Futur immediately felt streamlined. One would think the size of the razor head would make it too cumbersome and awkward, especially in shaving tight areas. But the opposite happened for me. The Futur felt quite nimble.

I too wasn't quite sure about the head size when I was checking it out. Besides somewhat awkward feel in my hand for me, that was another concern, thanks for clarifying it.

I too wasn't quite sure about the head size when I was checking it out. Besides somewhat awkward feel in my hand for me, that was another concern, thanks for clarifying it.

I will say that it takes some getting used to, but it does seem to be a very manuverable razor even though it is one of the biggest/heaviest razors I have ever used. You said earlier that you have large hands so after a week or so, you shouldn't have any issues, as I am in the opposite category of having small hands.

I will say that it takes some getting used to, but it does seem to be a very manuverable razor even though it is one of the biggest/heaviest razors I have ever used. You said earlier that you have large hands so after a week or so, you shouldn't have any issues, as I am in the opposite category of having small hands.

Thanks, I might give it a try after all.

I went to the store to pick up few other things, and since I've been looking at Futur for a while and also happen to read this review around the same time, thought I'd give it a try. I was even ready to buy it that day, but just wasn't quite convinced about two things. Size, handle but also size of the head, which I think is matter of getting used to (I liked the weight though) and blade switching mechanism was a bit, well not what I'm used to anyway. In all fairness, didn't play with it very long. Maybe my next visit I try again and buy it, who knows. I really like my current Merkur (38C) and I tend to stick with things I like for a while, trying to avoid having too many things that I wouldn't use regularly just lying around.

this thread inspired me to shave with mine today. i have always found it the be easy to shave with, i like shorter handles, but i hold this in the narrow part and then it is perfectly balanced, to the length does not bother me. however; for those that prefer the longer handles you have a lot to hold on to.

mine is loaded with a Personna 74 tungsten blade with over 40 shaves on it. i had it set to 3 today, and i used Michael's wool fat soap.... a very pleasant shave.

i think that people either love the Futur, or just don't get it. i love it and i could be happy with just this razor if i had to make a choice and could only have one razor.

Thanks, I might give it a try after all.

I went to the store to pick up few other things, and since I've been looking at Futur for a while and also happen to read this review around the same time, thought I'd give it a try. I was even ready to buy it that day, but just wasn't quite convinced about two things. Size, handle but also size of the head, which I think is matter of getting used to (I liked the weight though) and blade switching mechanism was a bit, well not what I'm used to anyway. In all fairness, didn't play with it very long. Maybe my next visit I try again and buy it, who knows. I really like my current Merkur (38C) and I tend to stick with things I like for a while, trying to avoid having too many things that I wouldn't use regularly just lying around.

I understand. It is a great razor but so are other adjustables. It is currently my favorite followed closely by my Progress. My Gillette adjustables are collecting dust but I don't have the heart to sell anymore of them. With that said you should be cautious with the Futur around blade changes and adjustments with a blade in. The two worst cuts I ever got with a safety razor were both from a Futur. Both occurred in 2011 shortly after acquiring the Futur and made me put it down for a year before trying it again. The first time I tried to adjust while wet/loaded and slipped causing a inch long gash down my thumb. Now when adjusting wet I hold the lower part of the head and make sure I keep my fingers below the blade. The second time was much worse, and I should have gone to get stitches. This occurred when I dropped the razor while shaving and instinctively reached out to catch it....unfortunately the Futur caught me by the thumb and that gash was deep and bleed for a while.

The two worst cuts I ever got with a safety razor were both from a Futur.

Ouch, that must've sucked, thanks for heads up.

When guy in the store was showing me how to swap the blade, just popping the top off, I wasn't fully sold, but thought it was just because it's "different" from what I'm used to. Didn't really think about adjustment, but honestly didn't really think I'd adjust mid shave anyway. Both changing blades and setting adjustment (and looks of the razor) on Progress seem to be a bit "better" designed for my taste, glad to hear you like that one too. Futur just caught my eye because of "different" look.

Because of you i just ordered mine Futur
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent!:) I'm glad you found my review helpful.:) Please let us know how it works out for you.:)

Currently i'm using R41 RoseGold, so i think, i'll drive my new Futur on 2-3 [emoji3]

Well, your posting to this thread just reminded me to use my Futur tomorrow morning!:) I saw it in the drawer and it's calling!:)

Nice review. I have one of the 7 dollar clones. Great shaver. In case anyone had never watched this video, this is the production of a Merkur Vision on "How It's Made"

Nice review. I have one of the 7 dollar clones. Great shaver. In case anyone had never watched this video, this is the production of a Merkur Vision on "How It's Made"

Thanks very much for this!:) That was an excellent video! And yet another razor I'd love to own.:) Maybe I'll come across one at an antique store/flea market/yard sale.)

Haha - have a nice d..shave! [emoji3]

Used my Futur this morning and had a great shave! The alum bar glided on and there was virtually no stinging.:) Just a nice, close shave.

I used a Personna blue blade, TAOS pre-shave oil, a Bass Boar Brush, and TAOS NOS Tallow-based Sandalwood shaving soap.:)

I kept it on the mild side not dialing it up past 2.:) Three passes: 2, 1.5, and 1. The razor is really efficient even at the lower end.:)

I finished it off with an Art of Shaving Alum bar and the very last of my TAOS Sandalwood after shave balm. (That lasted a good long time!)

A Really really, nice shave.:)

Thanks for the review and I concur 100%. I looked at the Futur when I first returned to DE shaving, but passed on it due to its cost. My standard became the Wunderbar. I then tried the Ming Shi and was very impressed by the clone. Wanting to support the company which originated the design and always having wanted a gold razor, I found the Gold Futur and ordered it. I'm very impressed with the performance of this razor. I don't have to worry about shaving under my nose, so I can't comment on that, and old age and nature are slowly taking care of the hair on my head, so it's not necessary to shave that area, but on my face....WOW! I also find that it works well with an assortment of blades making the differences in blade performance less noticeable, and that gold finish.....just fantastic!

Thanks for the review and I concur 100%. I looked at the Futur when I first returned to DE shaving, but passed on it due to its cost. My standard became the Wunderbar. I then tried the Ming Shi and was very impressed by the clone. Wanting to support the company which originated the design and always having wanted a gold razor, I found the Gold Futur and ordered it. I'm very impressed with the performance of this razor. I don't have to worry about shaving under my nose, so I can't comment on that, and old age and nature are slowly taking care of the hair on my head, so it's not necessary to shave that area, but on my face....WOW! I also find that it works well with an assortment of blades making the differences in blade performance less noticeable, and that gold finish.....just fantastic!

If I were to get a second Merkur Futur, it'd be the gold one for sure! A gorgeous razor!:) I envy you!:)

Top Bottom