What's new

The Ming Shi 2000s and Gillette Slim Adjustable Razors: A Comparison and a Review

The Ming Shi 2000s and Gillette Slim Adjustable Razors:
A Comparison and a Review

Summary:
Two very good razors, both able to deliver a great, close, and comfortable shave. The Ming Shi is a bargain bought new, and the Slim is a solidly built classic. If you have a heavier growth, you might prefer using the Ming Shi.

In some ways this comparison is unfair! For example, the Ming Shi can be set at much higher levels of aggression than the Slim. Pricewise, a Slim in good working condition will set you back $50 to $70 whereas the Ming Shi can be bought new for $7 to $11 including shipping.

However, I was intrigued to see how a super budget adjustable razor that is a copy of a popular modern design (the Merkur Futur) faired against a well regarded vintage adjustable razor. So I feel that the comparison has value, though I acknowledge that it's hard to do it fairly.

One problem with buying any vintage razor, and especially an adjustable razor, is that you must ensure it is in functional working condition and that it hasn't been compromised by age or damage. I am lucky in that I purchased my Slim from Liz Whipple-Paranda, a very nice lady, who used to sell on Ebay, and who ensures that any razor she sells is in a perfect state of functionality and hygiene. So I know my Slim is just about as good as a new one would be.

The Razors Briefly Compared:

The Gillette Slim:

Though it's a newer design than the Merkur Progress, (mine is 1962 H3 model), the Slim is of course considered a vintage razor. It's over 50 years old and is no longer made, although there is a Soviet copy circa 1980 I believe, which I recently purchased on Ebay, and I'll be testing and reviewing that razor in the future. The Soviet copy has a plastic base plate, not metal like the Slim.

The Slim is a TTO, adjustable razor. It has nine levels of increasing aggression. Despite this I consider it, even at the highest settings, as only being a mid-aggression level razor. The Muhle R41 for example is much more aggressive than the Slim, even if the Slim is set at level nine.

The Ming Shi 2000s

This is a close copy, some say “clone” (though the handle is a little slimmer and the razor therefore lighter) of the Merkur Futur. The head is identical though to all intents and purposes. Even at it's lower settings it's a much more aggressive beast than the the Slim. How aggressive?
For a comparison one Amazon reviewer of the Futur reported the following:
The blade gap for the Futur is;
On setting
1) 1.12mm
2) 1.19mm
3) 1.35mm
4) 1.47mm
5) 1.60mm
6) 1.65mm

To give you a sample of some others
Above the Tie R1 = .58mm
Gillette Fatboy at 1 = .56mm
Gillette Fatboy at 9 = 1.14mm
Merkur 38C = .64mm
Merkur 34C = .71mm

I would think the blade gap for the Fatboy and Slim are probably almost identical. So this give one at least from a blade gap view, a concept of the level of aggression.

The Ming Shi 20002 is longer and heavier than the Gillette Slim, with a bigger head, so one is comparing different razors. Still that's partly the purpose of comparisons!

The Blade used for the Test
I chose to use the Rapira Platinum Lux. I've found this blade to be consistent and reliable in just about every shaver, and it's always good for at least four shaves, often six, in just about any razor. It's sharp, smooth, comfortable, very cheap to buy, and easily available, and my personal favorite of the Rapira line. I've also used it many times in the Slim and the Futur and both razors like the blade. So it's a fair choice I feel.

I loaded each razor with a blade that had been used for two previous shaves. Again a deliberate choice because most of us don't shave with a brand new blade every day. From many shaves with many other razors using this blade, I knew that the Rapira Platinum Lux would have plenty of life left in it.

So this is a partially used, mid-range blade. Not my favorite blade but a very good one in these razors.

How I Use an Adjustable Razor: Please read!

When using an adjustable razor, (and following advice from others on this forum, including Jim Chandler, plus my own long experimentation) I've found the best way, for the smoothest and most comfortable shave is to INCREASE the aggression with each pass. It seems counter-intuitive at first but it really works best. It's like lowering the blade on a lawn mower to get a closer cut. I increased the aggression on each pass on this review.

Now in previous reviews, I notice that some people seem to miss this point. I really believe that this is the best way to get a very smooth, comfortable, and importantly irritation-free shave with an adjustable razor.

I believe that there is a great misunderstanding in the DE shaving world at large about this. Here's how I see it: We are aiming at progressive beard reduction, using multiple, multi-directional shaves to get a very smooth shave. As the hair gets shorter and less dense, you need a MORE aggressive razor, not a LESS aggressive one! Buffing for example. should be gently done with an aggressive razor, and I submit that you shouldn't be scrubbing away with a mild razor, because that will more than likely cause irritation.

That's why the notion of using a super aggressive razor to “mow down my three days of coarse growth” as some report as a test of an effective razor, seems really wrong headed and backwards to me. If you have a mild beard, one mid-aggressive razor like for example, the RR German 37 slant is probably fine. But, if you have a fast-growing, coarse beard you may be better off with two razors for one shave! Yes two for you RAD sufferers out there! Further excuse for acquisition! A mild razor WTG, and a more aggressive razor XTG and ATG and, for buffing.

The beauty of an adjustable is just that; you can adjust it through the shave as you progressively get closer.

This all assumes that you are a well practiced, and skilled DE shaver. If you have poor or indifferent shaving skills then aggressive razors can hurt you.

But once your technique is solid, an aggressive razor, properly used, will give you a close shave with less irritation, if you have a coarse fast growing beard and use it in the way I describe above. This may all seem radical to some, but if you try it I can almost guarantee you'll like it. I've done a lot of experimentation on this, so I speak from experience, not merely theoretical conjecture.

The Routine
For testing I go through the same routine:

I clean my face and wet the beard by washing with a glycerin soap. I rinse off the soap, wet it thoroughly and apply two drops of a pre-shave oil.

By the way, I believe good pre-shave prep not only produces a better shave, but reduces irritation, and keeps you skin in good condition. I know of one rather famous reviewer whose skin frankly looks irritated, red, blotchy and awful, especially on his neck. I don't doubt he gets close shaves, but at what cost?

I use an Arko shave stick applied directly to the beard and lather with a Stirling Synthetic “Kong” brush. I rinse and lather again between passes. I thoroughly rinse the head of the razor between passes.

With the Slim, I open the butterfly gates before I adjust the razor, then tighten them down again. This takes pressure off the mechanism, and ensures the blade is free of soap and hair debris between passes. This isn't necessary for the Ming Shi, as it's designed to keep the head on as you adjust it. The wide gaps and channels make blade rinsing easy.

I remove the blade from the razor when I'm done. I dry it with a microfiber cloth. Naturally I dry the razor too when I'm done.

I finish with an Alum block which is a good indicator of razor burn or irritation.

The Shave
I shaved almost exactly 24 hours before the review, using a Parker Variant and a Silver Star blade that coupled well to deliver a BBS shave that lasted a long time. This meant that after 24 hours my beard growth was only moderate; not quite as long as my beard would usually be, if I had previously shaved with a less efficient razor.

Following the logic above, I therefore want to shave with the razor set more, not less aggressively, so as to deliver both a very close shave and one as free from irritation as possible.

I set the Slim and the upper level of aggression and the Ming Shi in the middle to try to some degree to replicate the settings. Yes, I acknowledge this is not exactly scientific or fair, but given the limitations of time and circumstance it's the best I could do.

I shaved the left side of my face with the Ming Shi, and the right with the Slim. I have very symmetrical beard growth. If anything, the left side is a more difficult test for a razor, but barely. Comparing these razors is hard because the Ming Shi is altogether more aggressive, so I wanted to find settings that offered a reasonable comparison at least.

I shaved using these settings with the Slim: WTG at setting #5, XTG at setting #7 and AGT at setting #9. Final cleanup, touch up, buffing and J-hooking was done at setting #9, because there is no higher setting. As you can see, this is at the top of the range, appropriate to the comparison and my level of growth at the time of the shave.

I shaved using these same settings on the Ming Shi 2000s: WTG at setting #2, XTG at setting #3 and AGT at setting #3.5. Final cleanup, touch up, buffing and J-hooking was done at setting #4.

First Pass WTG.
Both razors were very comfortable and smooth. The Ming Shi is louder! I has not used the Slim in a while and I had forgotten how easy and pleasant it was to use. Dead heat! Both would be a good one pass shave...if you like that sort of thing!

Second Pass XTG.
Again both razors were smooth and trouble free. Both are a pleasure to use, and even after two passes the shave on both sides was good enough for a work day. Yet the test is to get a BBS shave! However, I had to do fewer strokes with the Ming Shi to clear the soap from my face.

Third Pass ATG.
Again both were very pleasant to use. Again the Slim needed a bit more work, but I want to emphasize that both razors were doing a fine job. At the end of this pass both sides of my face were very smooth.

Both razors were easy to use under the nose, a very good to test of ease and efficiency of the razor. I have a small face, and I don't find the large head on the Ming Shi presents problems. In fact, the smooth contours of the head make shaving these areas easy.

Buff up and J-hooking
However, my jawline, chin, always need a little extra work. For me BBS means nothing less than glass smooth in all directions, not just some! Yes, I'm a crazed shaving fanatic!

Here I noticed a difference between the razors: I had to do a lot more work with the Slim because I couldn't increase the aggression any more. I got there eventually, but the slightly greater feedback from the alum block post shave, indicated some irritation on the neck where I had buffed and j-hooked with the Slim.

No nicks, cuts, or weepers from either razor, and a BBS result from both.

Conclusion:
Both razors were terrific. If I had either as my only razor (heaven forfend!) I would be in good shape. For my beard, the higher level of the aggression available on the Ming Shi, was a plus, but not by much. If you have a lighter beard, (mine is coarse, fast growing and rough) the Slim is perfectly fine. In fact, I had forgotten how much I enjoy shaving with the Slim. It looks nice too!

However the Ming Shi, is available new, and at around one sixth the price or even less of a Slim in good condition. In terms of value the Ming Shi wins. The Ming Shi would also make a great travel razor, because although heavy and large, it can deliver a shave good enough for any business meeting and one that will last well into the evening, if you shave in the morning. Also if you lose it your only out $10 dollars or so. If you lose a treasured vintage razor, or it gets damaged in transit, it can be upsetting.

I'm convinced that the Ming Shi compares well to the classic Slim, and I recommend trying it, because it's so low priced. By the way, I'm not any sort of vendor. On the other hand I doubt whether the Ming Shi will last like my already 55 year old Slim, which will probably still be usable by my grandchildren. Unless they either all wear beards, or have invented some newfangled gizmo that renders shaving obsolete.

I prefer my Parker Variant and my Mergress to both of these razors as adjustable razors. I also think my RR Wunderber slant is better than both; but (when available) is $130! Yet the Slim is very good, and the Ming Shi a bargain.

Please let me know your own experiences, and I'm happy, of course, to answer questions and comments. Naturally one could easily poke holes in my reviewing procedure, but I hope it has value to those in this community who may want to experiment with an adjustable razor, and others who want to experiment with this Chinese copy of a Merkur favorite.

Offtopic:

Typical Soviet copy (there were more than 10 versions) with a plastic basplate is a clone of Super Adjustable which also exist with a plastic basplate.

Offtopic:

Typical Soviet copy (there were more than 10 versions) with a plastic basplate is a clone of Super Adjustable which also exist with a plastic basplate.
Ten versions? I didn't know that. any opinions on how they compare with each other and the Super Adjustable?

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to read the review. Have you ever tried shaving by increasing aggression? If so, what did you find? If not, would you be willing to experiment?

I agree that technique works and actually did just that yesterday morning with my '61 Fatboy using a Treet Classic carbon steel blade. I started on setting 5 to get everything smooth in a WTG direction but cranked it up to 7 to finish.

This is particularly effective on a tough area of my neck on my left side below the chin. That stubble refuses to go down without fighting and requires above average razor efficiency to get smooth in the ATG direction.

I agree that technique works and actually did just that yesterday morning with my '61 Fatboy using a Treet Classic carbon steel blade. I started on setting 5 to get everything smooth in a WTG direction but cranked it up to 7 to finish.

This is particularly effective on a tough area of my neck on my left side below the chin. That stubble refuses to go down without fighting and requires above average razor efficiency to get smooth in the ATG direction.
Awesome! I'm going to start a couple of threads about this technique. I welcome any contribution you care to make, describing your experiences, because I am trying to get more people to try this.

I just got my own Ming Shi 2000s (Qshave variant) in the mail yesterday and tried it today. I normally use a Slim and recently have been trying this technique of increasing aggressiveness with each pass (I'm calling it the prAgressive technique).

I just tried the same technique with the Ming Shi and a new Derby (my normal blade). WTG at 1, XTG at 2, ATG at 3. It turns out 3 was too aggressive for me, next time will probably be 1, 1.5, 2, but all the same I still got the best consistent shave so far, better than my Slim, even considering the nick or two I got while dialing in the blade angle.

I just got my own Ming Shi 2000s (Qshave variant) in the mail yesterday and tried it today. I normally use a Slim and recently have been trying this technique of increasing aggressiveness with each pass (I'm calling it the prAgressive technique).

I just tried the same technique with the Ming Shi and a new Derby (my normal blade). WTG at 1, XTG at 2, ATG at 3. It turns out 3 was too aggressive for me, next time will probably be 1, 1.5, 2, but all the same I still got the best consistent shave so far, better than my Slim, even considering the nick or two I got while dialing in the blade angle.
Thanks for experimenting and reporting. It does take a shave or two for each to find his own level of increasing aggression. Yes, it's possible to overdo it. Even so, I'm glad you're finding it useful to experiment with increasing the aggression. Most seem to like it, if they try it and experiment a little.

Very good review. I have a ming shi along with a real futur and have to say it took a few days to dial in the perfect shave but the results are impressive if you are looking for a damn fine close shave aggressive razor.

Very good review. I have a ming shi along with a real futur and have to say it took a few days to dial in the perfect shave but the results are impressive if you are looking for a damn fine close shave aggressive razor.
Thanks! Have you tried the technique of increasing the aggression with each pass?

Thanks! Have you tried the technique of increasing the aggression with each pass?

I had read increasing aggression was the key to the razor until I came across an old thread, searching but still can't find it, on google where the makers of the real futur stated the aggression level was meant to start high for longer hair then trim down the aggression level after the bulk of the hair was removed. Seemed the opposite of logical thought but it works well when put into action.

Awesome review. I've had a bug to pick up a vintage Gillette adjustable for sometime. I've never owned or used one. I may go for the Fatboy first. It seems to be the most discussed. I'm have about 5 shaves with my MS2S, which is my first adjustable and I'm very impressed. Very smooth and efficient. Great audible feedback. I do the progressive shave technique starting at 4, 4.5 and the 5. It works great. I've found that a Polsilver blade is spot on for me in the MS2S razor. I get a BBS that lasts up to 12hrs and on my cheeks a few hours longer. I love the thing. It might be my daily driver for the foreseeable future. With that said, it hasn't stopped my curiosity. I would love to pick up a Parker Variant and a Fatboy for comparison and collection purposes. Thanks again for the review.

Top Bottom