What's new

Merkur Future and Ming Shi 2000s: A Side by Side Test and Review

My first time posting on this forum, I will order one from aliexpress and it will be my second razor after wilkinson sword classic( using that one for a year now)
My technique is still not perfect and I look to improve it. Great forum and thanks to op for review and info!

I think you'll find the Ming Shi 2000S/QShave quite an improvement. The Wilkinson Sword Classic is just about the only razor I couldn't get a satisfactory shave with. No angle was efficient and I had to do make perhaps 20 passes (not an exaggeration) to get a passably close shave (with skin irritation as a bonus), whereas even a Weishi 9306FL did the same job in 3. The Futur clone is more efficient still.

My first time posting on this forum, I will order one from aliexpress and it will be my second razor after wilkinson sword classic( using that one for a year now)
My technique is still not perfect and I look to improve it. Great forum and thanks to op for review and info!

I think you'll find the Ming Shi 2000S/QShave quite an improvement. The Wilkinson Sword Classic is just about the only razor I couldn't get a satisfactory shave with. No angle was efficient and I had to do make perhaps 20 passes (not an exaggeration) to get a passably close shave (with skin irritation as a bonus), whereas even a Weishi 9306FL did the same job in 3. The Futur clone is more efficient still.

I often bring along the WS Classic when travelling and it's definitely mild, but it still manages to get the job done, and done well for me. I find that adding just a bit of pressure is fine with the WS, so maybe @Slapo should try that, or possibly use a sharper blade. I don't recommend any willfully added pressure with the Ming Shi, as it doesn't require it and it might end badly. I think they're both fine examples of how great shaves can be had on a modest budget.

I thought it would be best to learn how to shave on basic cheap razor and then gradualy move to better razor. I agree that this will definetly be an improvement. It is amazing that Qshave is almost the same price as the wilkinson sword.

I often bring along the WS Classic when travelling and it's definitely mild, but it still manages to get the job done, and done well for me. I find that adding just a bit of pressure is fine with the WS, so maybe @Slapo should try that, or possibly use a sharper blade. I don't recommend any willfully added pressure with the Ming Shi, as it doesn't require it and it might end badly. I think they're both fine examples of how great shaves can be had on a modest budget.

I think I used the more expensive version of the Wilkinson Sword blade in it, but I do recall going pretty light with it, as I could quite hit the light enough amount of pressure. It ended up in the bin since then (last year), when I gave it to a more experienced wet shaver to try out and it didn't work that well for him either. Maybe I'll get it again and try it with a shim to see if it would work for me, or/and with a Feather, or with a bit of pressure. Then again, the hinge capped Rimei and Gillettes seem better, but it's not a fair comparison, as I've had a lot of practice since then.

I thought it would be best to learn how to shave on basic cheap razor and then gradualy move to better razor. I agree that this will definetly be an improvement. It is amazing that Qshave is almost the same price as the wilkinson sword.
That was my thinking exactly, except I started with the Weishi. Then I got the WS and got RAD afterwards. Had I gotten the QShave as my second razor, I think I would have saved loads of money... maybe. ;-)

Had I gotten the QShave as my second razor, I think I would have saved loads of money... maybe. ;-)

That could happen. Then again... Pigs on the Wing.jpg

Ok so now I have tried the QShave razor for the first time. I was actually quite scared of the crazy blade gap but I had to try.
I'm glad I tried it.
I'm seriously very very impressed with this razor. I used it on lowest setting, 0.5, but what a shave.
Used Tabac soap and did a WTG and XTG and at that time it was almost as close shave I normally have with my other razors at a ATG.
Did som touchups and got probably the closest shave so far.
I have never tried a straight razor, but I guess this is as close to a straight razor you can get with a de-razor.
And the audio-feedback is insane!
Treat this with respect and you will have a great shave!

Ok so now I have tried the QShave razor for the first time. I was actually quite scared of the crazy blade gap but I had to try.
I'm glad I tried it.
I'm seriously very very impressed with this razor. I used it on lowest setting, 0.5, but what a shave.
Used Tabac soap and did a WTG and XTG and at that time it was almost as close shave I normally have with my other razors at a ATG.
Did som touchups and got probably the closest shave so far.
I have never tried a straight razor, but I guess this is as close to a straight razor you can get with a de-razor.
And the audio-feedback is insane!
Treat this with respect and you will have a great shave!
I'm glad you liked this razor. Perhaps you never need to increase the aggression with each pass, but when you feel a little more comfortable try it. Yes, the blade gap looks scary but it doesn't translate into harshness as you've discovered. Thanks for the feedback.

Mine arrived today, had a chance to test it with a rapira stainless. Did a great job, but it didn't get *really* close until I went all the way to #5 on the dial. It's a cinch to use, goes fast and smooth but like all razors, takes some getting used to.

Like others have said and what I learned on the first go: Don't be afraid of the razor gap, it has a limited range of angles.

Last edited:
Followup on my 4th shave with QShave clone ... I do 3 passes WTG, XTG & ATG ... in the middle of across the grain- the razor suddenly lost all its aggressiveness! I stopped and looked to make sure it still had a blade in it! Yeah, it was that dramatic of a change. Anyway, the dial was still 3.5 and I could see a gap ... so I continued and finished my shave thinking well maybe it has sliced the whiskers off so effectively on the previous passes at there was nothing left to cut.

WRONG! I ended up with whatever is before DFS ... definitely not BBS. I'm going to change the blade and try again tomorrow, hopefully it was a glitch and not a defect showing up!

Followup: I replaced the blade and pushed the top piece down & let it spring back up a few times; the shave was very good. Hopefully, it was just a glitch, but I'm gonna "work" the top piece every once in a while just in case ...

I have a Merkur Futur or paid the price of a Merkur and wondering how to distinguish if its geniune or a knockoff?

Thanks for the great review ! My 15 year-old son loves traditional wet-shaving, and wanted his very own brand-new razor. We considered the various Merkurs and Parkers based off of ones in my collection. When I got my Ming Shi from Maggard's a couple months ago, he said "THAT'S the one I want!". I made sure he used the least aggressive setting, and a forgiving blade (he used a Dorco). He did a one-pass shave with Proraso white, and loved it !
As for me, it has become my travel razor. As you stated, for the price, if it gets lost, it's no big deal to replace. My luggage was misplaced once, and thank goodness I got my Gillette Slim Adjustable back safe and sound. (I didn't care about the clothes, just that razor!). Now I don't have to worry about it...it's a great, cheap razor, and I am glad I purchased it !

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I apologize for resurrecting this old thread, but I wanted to point out that I'm very much a beginner I finished first 4 weeks wet shaving using on the the Ming Shi 2000s. I received VERY little razor burn and very few weepers. Perhaps I'm an exception. I didn't even realize this is an aggressive razor. I used Vokshod blades in it. I'm personally very happy I chose this as my first safety razor to begin my journey with even though I've purchased others.

Searching 'Adjustable Razor' brought up $5.16 for 'Mingshi Adjustable' with 5 MingShi blades (which I quite liked) - that's just insane!

Just below that is a very nice 'Hot Adjustable Shaver' whoops... not adjustable. It's another 'Viking' with the long heavy handle, all stainless steel - I'm getting one because I'm interested to pick up a few heads to play with (Yaqi looks nice, and I already ordered their brush because one is never enough).

Just be sure that the razor is assembled right (even following some instructions isn't right, the head has two markers - but regardless of this you just need to maybe turn it half way as you screw in the handle to make sure it's tight/rigid with no gap on 0.5 setting).

Top Bottom