What's new

Merkur Future and Ming Shi 2000s: A Side by Side Test and Review

Ok. Ok. You made me do it. I've got one on the way.

Also have a Futur in the drawer that I've messed with a couple times, and a set of micro calipers.

What do you guys want to know once the "clone" gets here?
I would like you to measure the blade gaps compared to your Futur. Also, please try using the method of increasing the aggression when you shave, and let us know how you find it.

All right. I looked with a printers loupe, and it appears to be brass underneath, not zamak. The light wasn't great.

Interestingly, the foil coating bit that peeled off, is the dull aluminum look on top, but copper or copper colored underneath.

Brass would explain its weight.

And if the Merkur original is zamak, I'd rather have the Ming Shi.

It's almost annoying what a good shave I got today, nine hours later it's still pretty darn smooth.

AA
I looked again very closely at the Ming Shi I'm using. There do appear to be a number of very tiny blemishes to the the finish, but hardly noticeable and in now way affect performance.

I have bought two Ming Shi 2000S razors from two different sources on Aliexpress. Both razors do not shave equally on both sides, although in one case difference is very little.

proxy.php

I have checked if Ming Shi 2000S is made of brass. For sure it is not.

Generally speaking, Ming Shi 2000S is good deal (I have paid $11 and $17 with shipping), but it is not as good as original Merkur Futur.

Just received my other MingShi Futur clone. This one is also from taobao.com, but a different supplier. It's better than the first by miles, though not perfect.
These marks look worse on camera, and they're only on one side.
I haven't shaved with it yet, I'll do that tomorrow morning. Fare to say, I'm happy with it. Still would buy Merkur Razor though.
IMG_3145.JPG

I have bought two Ming Shi 2000S razors from two different sources on Aliexpress. Both razors do not shave equally on both sides, although in one case difference is very little.

proxy.php

I have checked if Ming Shi 2000S is made of brass. For sure it is not.

Generally speaking, Ming Shi 2000S is good deal (I have paid $11 and $17 with shipping), but it is not as good as original Merkur Futur.
I'm not sure the Futur I own is made of brass either. Some people complain about uneven gaps in the Futur too. If any of my razors have such gaps, it doesn't seem to make tuppence ha'pennies worth of difference on the shave itself. If you have a Futur, or get one, please compare them and let us know. I'm sorry you paid so much for your Ming Shi. I haven't paid more than $9, including shipping to the US for any of mine. I'm planning to use them when I travel.
I have tested two. They shave really well.

Just received my other MingShi Futur clone. This one is also from taobao.com, but a different supplier. It's better than the first by miles, though not perfect.
These marks look worse on camera, and they're only on one side.
I haven't shaved with it yet, I'll do that tomorrow morning. Fare to say, I'm happy with it. Still would buy Merkur Razor though. View attachment 780537
If you have to buy one! But I don't think you'll notice any real difference.

In case anyone is wondering, 17track does continue to track the package after it's handed over to USPS. Mine is in my mailbox right now. March 12 to April 6 isn't bad for crossing the Pacific on a cargo ship.

Just received mine from AliExpress looks ok. Side of one little Ding on the safety bar.
Not a big deal. Will shave with it tonight.
proxy.php

Oh yea and the razor n brush stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ming showed today.

Really impressed, I owned a Futur previous but sold it cause I got sick of the chrome, this shaves pretty much identical with the "singing" blade and everything.

One thing I noted is the blade was fiddly in my Merkur to get straight but the Ming is spot on and perfect both sides.

Attachments

• 20170407_175946.jpg
    20170407_175946.jpg
    796.2 KB · Views: 39
Mine still hasn't made it out of China postal system(ordered 3/28) :a32:

It takes awhile to show up in tracking. And China post doesn't seem to get updated alot. It's already on the way. I wouldn't be too concerned. It will just appear in Chicago or someplace first going through customs. Next thing you know it's in your mail box.

Yeah, I used to order a lot of vaping stuff from FastTech...familiar with the routine. My tracking still shows as
2017-04-02 03:55

Shenzhen, left Shenzhen to Shenzhen postal courier company (Hong Kong) business unit

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm not a metallurgist, so I'll change my "it appears to be brass underneath the plating," to "it is a dull yellow-colored metal underneath." For $8, it isn't gold.

AA

I'm not a metallurgist, so I'll change my "it appears to be brass underneath the plating," to "it is a dull yellow-colored metal underneath." For $8, it isn't gold.

AA

Mike, could that possibly be a layer of copper plate? Some times that is used as an under-plating before the final top plate is applied, in order to plate certain metals that otherwise would not accept chrome or nickel directly.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lane, the bit of metal that peeled off was matte silver above, and copper underneath.

The plating layer is over a base metal which appears to be brass. Some say it isn't; I'm just reporting its color.

AA

My first time posting on this forum, I will order one from aliexpress and it will be my second razor after wilkinson sword classic( using that one for a year now)
My technique is still not perfect and I look to improve it. Great forum and thanks to op for review and info!

Top Bottom