What's new

Merkur Futur Review and Thoughts.

I like this razor, but it’s been the second string the last two years. I seem to gravitate to going down on number settings from first to third passes, others go up on the numbers. Is there any rhyme or reason on this or does just boil down to personal preference?

I like this razor, but it’s been the second string the last two years. I seem to gravitate to going down on number settings from first to third passes, others go up on the numbers. Is there any rhyme or reason on this or does just boil down to personal preference?

I think it comes down to personal preference. And yes, there seems to be a friendly ongoing debate regarding the increase v.s. decrease method.

I've read up here that the increase method is likened to mowing a lawn. If the grass is high, you set your mower at the highest setting (mild). You then INCREASE the cut with each new pass to take down the lawn and get closer to a manageable height. Setting the mower too low results in too much (too aggressive) of cut and clogs the mower.

Same reasoning with a razor. Set the first pass mild and increase with each pass. You knock down the high whisker leaving some growth behind and then increase the aggression to cut more and get closer.

Again, personal preference. some guys like the increase method (start at a mild setting and finish at an aggressive setting), some like the decrease (start at an agressive setting and finish at a mild setting.)

If my explanation was incorrect or a bit off, please feel free to correct me, fellow B&Bers.:)

Top Bottom