What's new

Futur Clone Ming Shi 2000s: A Review: Buy this bargain now before the price rises!

This should be turned into some kind of sticky for new guys wanting to begin the wet shave discipline.
Providing this turns out to be a decent razor....
Razor and blades=$6.53
Brush=$8.00-$10.00 (Omega Pro 48 or S-10018 maybe)
Cream/Soap=Arko stick or two
$20-$25 or so?. What's not to like????

Last edited:
The problem is there are too many different combinations.
But you are right.
There should be a go to that's easy to understand... and easy on the face

Well guess what came today?
It will be a while before I shave with it as I have a couple of single edge razors that I need to try out first before trying out my DE's again.
As soon as I do I will let everyone know.
I have high hopes but I can tell you I just shaved with a Every Ready 1914 and it was a single pass with some clean up.
That's going to be hard to beat.

img_2950.jpg

Thanks for the informative review. I'm waiting for mine from Ali. I didn't know they had a very aggressive blade gap, but I'm willing to give it a go. It starts at a Fat Boy setting 9? This will take all my accumulated wet shaving skill and knowledge; just like the Open Combs do.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the informative review. I'm waiting for mine from Ali. I didn't know they had a very aggressive blade gap, but I'm willing to give it a go. It starts at a Fat Boy setting 9? This will take all my accumulated wet shaving skill and knowledge; just like the Open Combs do.
Relax, I thought the razor was very aggressive (it can be if you wish!)but as long as its seated to its bottom seat very level its like a Slim on 2 or 3 its mild.(Shavers take it apart for cleaning & curiosity and might not assemble back were it should seat.) The Merkur Futur who designed this razor is a little more aggressive from other shavers opinions who have both.

Thanks for this thread? :001_rolle I thought I was finally settled when I pared my razor roster down to 3 razors. Thanks to this thread I will now have 4 razors. I'm in for one of these at $7.13 delivered. For that amount, how bad could it be? I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I'm looking at 12-20 days delivery so hopefully I can get it into my monthly rotation and start shaving with it in November. I'll report back with a review once I receive it.

I am making a comparison between Ming Shi 2000s and the Progress XL I have.
I then will compare them to the Parker Variant.
I forgot that you have to hold the cap down all the way to make sure it was seated all the way.
I also forgot that it was aggressive IMHO.
I have been shaving with the Progress that I set at 3.
I ended up cutting my thumb taking out the Gillette blade that was in it.
I set my Ming Shi 2000s at three just like my Progress.
I ended up cutting my chin along with several weepers before I realized the gap was too wide.
It probably was closer to a four.
I turn it down to 1.5 to finish the shave.
The shave was just so so as I could not go over those spots.
Tomorrows shave should be better now that I remember how and where to set it again.

I am making a comparison between Ming Shi 2000s and the Progress XL I have.
I then will compare them to the Parker Variant.
I forgot that you have to hold the cap down all the way to make sure it was seated all the way.
I also forgot that it was aggressive IMHO.
I have been shaving with the Progress that I set at 3.
I ended up cutting my thumb taking out the Gillette blade that was in it.
I set my Ming Shi 2000s at three just like my Progress.
I ended up cutting my chin along with several weepers before I realized the gap was too wide.
It probably was closer to a four.
I turn it down to 1.5 to finish the shave.
The shave was just so so as I could not go over those spots.
Tomorrows shave should be better now that I remember how and where to set it again.
Start on 1.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

After reading many good reviews of Merkur futur and its clone, also ensure Mingshi2000 is not a illegal counterfeit since Merkur patent had truly expired, I got one latest version from China website to try. After accustom to its heavy weight and gap adjustment quickly, its my go to razor now. So good that i decided to share my experience here.

Its design is futuristic. Built quality still rock solid at a reduced weight 80g vs Merkur 120g(older clone is 100g-120g). Nice flawless satin finishing, clever design of flip open cap to replace blade easily, and no alignment problem mentioned in some feedbacks(time will tell). Adjustment mechanism is smooth. I would believe its a Merkur futur if not for the packaging and tiny fraction of price. Many websites shoddy pictures didn't do justice to this great quality razor. It has German quality and design at unbelievable China price.

The first trial give me my best shave in life, ultra smooth, clean and with no irritation, nicks or burns ever. Except only one cut in my first shave when it slip due to my soapy hand and its slippery handle couple by heavy weight, at a careless high setting of 4.5. So the blade slice across the skin like slicing sashimi, reminding me to be more respectful of this great razor. Down to 1.5 setting, it shaves whisker ultra smooth yet so gentle impossible of any cut. At setting 4, it can mawn down even my few days head hair well, deliver flawless ultra smooth shave with the weight doing all the job. Yet to try 5-6 settings. Just wonder how will be the shave at original 120g weight, when 80g is already so heavy.

No clogging of hairs after many passes due to Merkur clever design of deep grooves drain hole. The edgeless all round design head gives an ultra close smooth contact to skin unlike ploughing effect of traditional combed edge razors. XTG and ATG is easy too with it smooth head giving no friction. The big head make shaving under the nose abit challenging initially, but after a few shaves you will overcome easily with gaining confident of its "very gentle blade exposure" mild design.

Many reviews have remarked on its extra aggressiveness and biggest blade gaps or exposure among all razors. In my direct experience, its actually more mild and safe than Muhle R89. Blade gap and exposure are actually different. Blade gap is the gap distance between the razor blade edge and the razor comb, deciding how long and thick the hair can get into gap to be shave off, thus deciding its effectiveness. Whereas exposure is how much angle the blade is bend and protruded out from the curvature line form between upper plate edge and the lower plate comb. Exposure decides the razor aggressiveness resting on your skin, and thus its tendency of cutting your skin too. I have a razor with very narrow gap, but its more aggressive than both R89 and Mingshi2000 due to its protruding blade, capable of slicing off a thick layer of skin when i am in a rush.

It adjusts the blade gap by moving upper plate height, enable it to shave different length of hairs effectively. The blade exposure is pretty the same between setting of 1 to 6, designed to be extra mild render it ultra smooth without possibility of cutting unless you move it in lateral slicing direction or pressing unnecessary.

It's complete smooth handle with no knurling on surface makes it slippery when wet. If you keep your hand free from soapy foam, it still give a good grip with its curvy handle design. Because of less grip than knurled handle, one tends to be more cautious in exerting any pressure while shaving. May be this is the intended design purpose, a abnormal heavy weight with puzzling smooth handle design, to ensure one will let the weight do the shaving without exerting any slightness of pressure, thus achieving ultra smooth and optimized effective shave.

Conclusion:
This is an incredible excellent quality razor at absurb price that make little sense for one to pay $60 for a Merkur or Muhle that may give any marginal better quality. But for it's revolutionary design and quality, its still worth to pay for a Merkur futur for lifetime usage and collection joy, possibly passing on to your next generation. At below $5, its cheaper than most cheap razor in market. Yet it delivers superb smooth shave that is so different from traditional DE razor, even better than top notch Muhle in my comparison.

You can add Parker Variant to the list that this razor is equal to or better.
There is a pass around for the Variant going on.
It's my turn with the razor and I can say that I'm glad I did not buy one.
I did a write up on my thoughts so far.
Parker Variant Pass Around Tour
Ron

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
After reading many good reviews of Merkur futur and its clone, also ensure Mingshi2000 is not a illegal counterfeit since Merkur patent had truly expired, I got one latest version from China website to try. After accustom to its heavy weight and gap adjustment quickly, its my go to razor now. So good that i decided to share my experience here.

Its design is futuristic. Built quality still rock solid at a reduced weight 80g vs Merkur 120g(older clone is 100g-120g). Nice flawless satin finishing, clever design of flip open cap to replace blade easily, and no alignment problem mentioned in some feedbacks(time will tell). Adjustment mechanism is smooth. I would believe its a Merkur futur if not for the packaging and tiny fraction of price. Many websites shoddy pictures didn't do justice to this great quality razor. It has German quality and design at unbelievable China price.

The first trial give me my best shave in life, ultra smooth, clean and with no irritation, nicks or burns ever. Except only one cut in my first shave when it slip due to my soapy hand and its slippery handle couple by heavy weight, at a careless high setting of 4.5. So the blade slice across the skin like slicing sashimi, reminding me to be more respectful of this great razor. Down to 1.5 setting, it shaves whisker ultra smooth yet so gentle impossible of any cut. At setting 4, it can mawn down even my few days head hair well, deliver flawless ultra smooth shave with the weight doing all the job. Yet to try 5-6 settings. Just wonder how will be the shave at original 120g weight, when 80g is already so heavy.

No clogging of hairs after many passes due to Merkur clever design of deep grooves drain hole. The edgeless all round design head gives an ultra close smooth contact to skin unlike ploughing effect of traditional combed edge razors. XTG and ATG is easy too with it smooth head giving no friction. The big head make shaving under the nose abit challenging initially, but after a few shaves you will overcome easily with gaining confident of its "very gentle blade exposure" mild design.

Many reviews have remarked on its extra aggressiveness and biggest blade gaps or exposure among all razors. In my direct experience, its actually more mild and safe than Muhle R89. Blade gap and exposure are actually different. Blade gap is the gap distance between the razor blade edge and the razor comb, deciding how long and thick the hair can get into gap to be shave off, thus deciding its effectiveness. Whereas exposure is how much angle the blade is bend and protruded out from the curvature line form between upper plate edge and the lower plate comb. Exposure decides the razor aggressiveness resting on your skin, and thus its tendency of cutting your skin too. I have a razor with very narrow gap, but its more aggressive than both R89 and Mingshi2000 due to its protruding blade, capable of slicing off a thick layer of skin when i am in a rush.

It adjusts the blade gap by moving upper plate height, enable it to shave different length of hairs effectively. The blade exposure is pretty the same between setting of 1 to 6, designed to be extra mild render it ultra smooth without possibility of cutting unless you move it in lateral slicing direction or pressing unnecessary.

It's complete smooth handle with no knurling on surface makes it slippery when wet. If you keep your hand free from soapy foam, it still give a good grip with its curvy handle design. Because of less grip than knurled handle, one tends to be more cautious in exerting any pressure while shaving. May be this is the intended design purpose, a abnormal heavy weight with puzzling smooth handle design, to ensure one will let the weight do the shaving without exerting any slightness of pressure, thus achieving ultra smooth and optimized effective shave.

Conclusion:
This is an incredible excellent quality razor at absurb price that make little sense for one to pay $60 for a Merkur or Muhle that may give any marginal better quality. But for it's revolutionary design and quality, its still worth to pay for a Merkur futur for lifetime usage and collection joy, possibly passing on to your next generation. At below $5, its cheaper than most cheap razor in market. Yet it delivers superb smooth shave that is so different from traditional DE razor, even better than top notch Muhle in my comparison.
That is 1 in depth review of the Clone, good job. Its not perfect but I really like mine also.

You can add Parker Variant to the list that this razor is equal to or better.
There is a pass around for the Variant going on.
It's my turn with the razor and I can say that I'm glad I did not buy one.
I did a write up on my thoughts so far.
Parker Variant Pass Around Tour
Ron
I have yet to try a Merkur Progress or its clone akar Parker Variance to make comparison. Before i would much prefer progress over futur because of its gap range start from very low. And its tank like quality will probably last through my life. Now that i have tasted a superb futur clone, Progress will be hard to impress me.
Merkur Progress/Mergress is like a Mercedes Benz with time tested quality, why would one risk getting a untested India Tata clone akar Parker Variant that is plugged with known quality issues. A clone at best is equal. For a few $ different it make no sense, unlike Futur clone we are talking about $5 vs $70.
They are not even in the same league for comparison in my opinion.

Great review and you're right about the settings. No aggressiveness for me, either. Simply designed well.

Great review and you're right about the settings. No aggressiveness for me, either. Simply designed well.
Nice to hear that Ron R and you share the same good experience. I think important is to let the 80g heavy razor do all the shaving job without slightest pressure. I like to do long passes at setting4.5, feel so smooth like a straight razor yet safe to do quick passes like Gillette mach.

Original futur at 120g will be interesting to try except i will be very caution of slippery issue at such heavy weight not to slice myself like sashimi.

I received my Ming Shi Futur clone and have made my way through all of the settings.

Mine has a few very minor finish flaws. There are some tiny flea bumps on the tip of the handle and a few underneath the cap as well. Neither bother me at all. Slightly more concerning is a small "flash scar" underneath the cap. It looks like what would happen if you were to touch a live electrical wire to a piece of metal. In their finishing process they must put a layer of copper on the cap because the scar looks like copper. I can't really tell if the pot metal underneath is exposed so I'll just have to see how it holds up over time. With my razor rotation, this razor will see action 3 months out of the year so I wouldn't anticipate any potential problems for quite some time. The scar doesn't really concern me either and since I only paid $7.13* delivered for the razor I'd still consider it all OK, nothing that I'm worried about or going so far as to contact the seller about. (*The actual cost of the razor was less than $7 but I got charged a little extra for using PayPal.)

Loading blades is easy and mine has no alignment issues. The design is such that the razor would be very difficult to clog unless you were shaving a Wookie or using shaving cream the consistency of stiff peanut butter. For me, this is a very smooth shaver and I got smooth shaves on every setting though 1-2 felt like I was just pushing lather around even though evidence shows that it was cutting. When shaving on a 4.5+ I was making an extra conscious effort not to use pressure. I have a bumpy face and an occasional tiny knick started showing up at the 4 setting. (It occasionally happens with all my razors.) I think my sweet spot falls in the range of 3.5 to 6. I'll have to zero it in once I use it some more. The settings do not "click" in so there are actually any number of possible settings between 1 and 6. The handle is smooth of course so I don't think I'd want to use it if I were a shower shaver since it's going to be a bit slippery when wet. I'm a sink shaver and the handle always remains dry so slipperiness is not an issue at all.

The head on this thing is huge and a bit unwieldy in tight spots until you get used to it. To get right under the nose you'll have to shave E-W, W-E and S-N. It just took me a couple of shaves to zero in on the proper shave angle so the learning curve is pretty short. For me, this razor is a winner and it's earned a permanent spot in my 4 (total) razor rotation. If I were to lose it for whatever reason I wouldn't hesitate to replace it, especially at this price range!

Last edited:
Hello to all friends who have already tried this Ming Shi razor. Pls share your personal experience on this razor aggressiveness, and comments if its suitable for newbies.

I plan to offer this great razor Ming Shi to convert many friends still chained to Gillette disposable. But i have concern whether it will be overwhelming for newbies.

I have been shaving with it for about 2mths together with Muhle R89 side by side for comparison, shaving both whiskers and head hair. Personally i found it very mild and gentle to my skin without any single nicks or burn so far except during 1st shave due to slippery. At 1~1.5 i feel its like gliding across my skin without blade but all whiskers are cut. At 4.5 its so effective for over 3 days whiskers and thick hair, yet remain ultra smooth and mild to my skin.

Muhle R89 is certainly a good quality razor that i like too. But when compare to Ming Shi, its like a rough comb plough through the skin, and the blade has more vibration and audio feedback. It does give a sturdy good efficient shave with clear control and satisfying blade audio feedback that Ming Shi lacks.

But Ming Shi is a league by itself, like skiing over the skin quietly without any vibration with its heavy 80g sturdy built, yet so incredibly effective. Some may feel such shaving lack intimate control and satisfaction, like chomping down expressway with a heavy slient auto limousine. But its another kind of ultra smooth shaving joy.

When there is tiny pimples, R89 nicks sometimes but Ming Shi seem never. Even i tried quick long passes, XTG, it still so gentle smooth as long i don't exert any pressure. And i can negotiates tight area like Gillette without any concern of been nick by blade corners since its big rounded head cover entire blade.

So i think its a excellent "mild" effective razor suitable for a newbie too for its:
1. Ultra smooth efficient shave performance.
2. So mild at setting 1~1.5 almost impossible to nick, like a Gillette. With a bit experience gain, its such a progressive joy to shave at higher setting.
3. Impressive design and quality.
4. Variable setting to suit everyone needs.
5. At incredible $7 incl shipping & paypal fees, where else in this earth can we find a better razor for a newbie to not love paying for one?

What is your opinion?

I believe too that this would work for someone new to DE shaving.
I start out at 1 for the first pass then 5 for the second and clean up.
I really like it.
The price was right.
I have not had any blade alignment problebs with it at all. The construction is solid.

Recently someone so kind offered my group of friends a Baili TTO razor each. Its a good entry razor for newbies indeed, shave well with shinning chrome. But compare to Muhle & Merkur futur clone, Baili feel tatter & lightweight. A good combo of clone (R89+Bulldog handle) seem better choice. Still I feel Ming Shi at a fixed setting 1.5 is a very impressive entry razor for newbies worth a try. At $5~7 incl Intl shipping, its probably the best quality razor available.

Today i tried shaving few days whisker and head hairs at higher setting 5 ~6. The shave is efficient but not smooth, blade is scrapping the skin with vibration, but no nicks. Drop to 4.5, its back to ultra smooth WTG. So everyone has his own sweet spot to explore. As some shavers adviced, i complete with XTG, ATG using higher 6. It works, near BBS. No single nicks or burn.

Did my shaving skills actually improve so much suddenly? Not likely. The RiMei razor i have used for past 3yrs, though is so much less blood thirsty than my very 1st DE razor(a China make $1 DE Razor), still it nicks everytime. Muhle R89 is good but will nicks over small pimple. But MS2000 never, even i will to do quick long passes wtg, xtg, atg like a Gillette Mach5.

So its very much depends on the razor. MS2000 is indeed a great razor that change my whole wet shaving experience, from a torturing bloody chore to enjoyable hobby, that i can now truly give up Gillette cartridges that had slaved me for decades.

Top Bottom