What's new

The Parker Variant and the Ming Shi 2000s: A Side by Side Review and Comparison

@NDM63 I won't count Wednesday as 2 was too mild and caused irritation due to me over compensating.
Thurs first pass WTG on 3, second XTG on 6, buffing on 7. Result, DFS but more irritation than normal.
Fri first pass on 4, second on 6, buffing 7. Result, DFS less irritation than Thurs but still more than normal.
Sat see above.
Was the extra irritation my imagination? I decided to give my skin a rest on Sunday, use the same routine on Monday, rest Tuesday and use 6 on first pass and 4 on second pass and buffing on Wednesday (today).
Result, less irritation today than Monday.
I have sensitive skin which is why I don't shave ATG and don't do a third pass. Upping the aggression simply doesn't work for me.
My lawn mower analogy would be: a wide gap to mow down the growth with less chance of clogging and a lesser gap to tidy up.

Last edited:
@NDM63 I won't count Wednesday as 2 was too mild and caused irritation due to me over compensating.
Thurs first pass WTG on 3, second XTG on 6, buffing on 7. Result, DFS but more irritation than normal.
Fri first pass on 4, second on 6, buffing 7. Result, DFS less irritation than Thurs but still more than normal.
Sat see above.
Was the extra irritation my imagination? I decided to give my skin a rest on Sunday, use the same routine on Monday, rest Tuesday and use 6 on first pass and 4 on second pass and buffing on Wednesday (today).
Result, less irritation today than Monday.
I have sensitive skin which is why I don't shave ATG and don't do a third pass. Upping the aggression simply doesn't work for me.
My lawn mower analogy would be: a wide gap to mow down the growth with less chance of clogging and a lesser gap to tidy up.
I greatly appreciate you trying this and reporting. Thanks. Most of us when we start DE shaving think we have a sensitive skin. I used to think that I had sensitive skin too. The truth is we probably just have poor technique. The increasing aggression is probably revealing that you simply don't have the optimal angle, so you're scraping your face rather than slicing your whiskers. Don't worry, we all go through that.As your skill improves shaving ATG will be no problem. Increasing the aggression works for almost everybody, but as I've said many times it won't compensate for poor technique. Many of us don't like to admit that we have poor technique, hence the endless search for razors and blades and that "fit our skin and beard". That often means that we just find a combination that let's us get away with whatever level of skill we currently have.
My father-in-law had never learned to shave properly with a DE razor. It always resulted in a lot of cuts, nick and irritation for him. He switched to an electric. No problem with that. Again thanks for trying, I hope you revisit this method down the road.

I greatly appreciate you trying this and reporting. Thanks. Most of us when we start DE shaving think we have a sensitive skin. I used to think that I had sensitive skin too. The truth is we probably just have poor technique. The increasing aggression is probably revealing that you simply don't have the optimal angle, so you're scraping your face rather than slicing your whiskers. Don't worry, we all go through that.As your skill improves shaving ATG will be no problem. Increasing the aggression works for almost everybody, but as I've said many times it won't compensate for poor technique. Many of us don't like to admit that we have poor technique, hence the endless search for razors and blades and that "fit our skin and beard". That often means that we just find a combination that let's us get away with whatever level of skill we currently have.
My father-in-law had never learned to shave properly with a DE razor. It always resulted in a lot of cuts, nick and irritation for him. He switched to an electric. No problem with that. Again thanks for trying, I hope you revisit this method down the road.
I have been using a DE for about five years, my shaving technique is fine.
I have suffered from eczema (dermititis) on and off all my life.
But even to someone with mildly sensitive skin, I would advise against upplng the aggression as, further upsetting an already upset skin is counter productive.
YMMV is definitely appropriate in this instance as everyone's skin has a different constitution.
I'm sure dermatologists would agree with razor manufacturers and advise starting aggressive and finishing mild.

The Parker Variant and the Ming Shi 2000s Adjustable Razors:
A Side By Side Comparison and a Review

The Razors Briefly Compared:

The Parker Variant:

The Parker Variant, is an Indian copy, or perhaps Parker would argue, with some justification, an enhancement of the Merkur Progress design. The head is very, very similar to the Progress. The bottom plate has four drainage holes, the Progress none. It's a two piece razor with nine levels of aggression. You adjust it by turning a knurled metal knob at the base of the handle. This knob is made of plastic on the Merkur Progress. The Variant comes in a satin finish and the sole US distributors are in Westchester, New York, though there are a number of re-sellers also.

The drain holes appeared on the Apollo Mikron which seems to have been the basis for the original Progress design, deleted for the Progress perhaps to simplify manufacture.
proxy.php

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have been using a DE for about five years, my shaving technique is fine.
I have suffered from eczema (dermititis) on and off all my life.
But even to someone with mildly sensitive skin, I would advise against upplng the aggression as, further upsetting an already upset skin is counter productive.
YMMV is definitely appropriate in this instance as everyone's skin has a different constitution.
I'm sure dermatologists would agree with razor manufacturers and advise starting aggressive and finishing mild.
I completely disagree with you about your assessment of this method. And I don't think you can presume to speak for dermatologists, or razor manufacturers, unless you are one. Even then, it's one opinion only. Eczema presents a particular challenge when it comes to shaving, so I don't really think that this assessment is relevant to anyone except yourself. It's not YMMV. It's the fact that you have specific conditions to take into account, and you never mentioned eczema in your earlier posts. The experience of most who try this is that skin irritation is lessened not worsened, so again I don't agree with your advice to others.
Technique does improve over time, and blade selection, skin prep, etc., all make a difference. But the fact remains that the majority of people who have solid technique, and use the method of increasing aggression (after having experimented with getting the settings just right and the level of increase too) report that it results in closer shaves with less irritation. I'm sorry you haven't found this to be so.

The drain holes appeared on the Apollo Mikron which seems to have been the basis for the original Progress design, deleted for the Progress perhaps to simplify manufacture.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Ah! Very interesting! Thanks for posting those pictures.

I completely disagree with you about your assessment of this method. And I don't think you can presume to speak for dermatologists, or razor manufacturers, unless you are one. Even then, it's one opinion only. Eczema presents a particular challenge when it comes to shaving, so I don't really think that this assessment is relevant to anyone except yourself. It's not YMMV. It's the fact that you have specific conditions to take into account, and you never mentioned eczema in your earlier posts. The experience of most who try this is that skin irritation is lessened not worsened, so again I don't agree with your advice to others.
Technique does improve over time, and blade selection, skin prep, etc., all make a difference. But the fact remains that the majority of people who have solid technique, and use the method of increasing aggression (after having experimented with getting the settings just right and the level of increase too) report that it results in closer shaves with less irritation. I'm sorry you haven't found this to be so.
The only time I've had dermititis on my face was when I dabbled with an electric razor in my late teens. I only mentioned it to show that people with sensitive skin are not people with poor technique as you suggested.
No matter how good your technique, shaving traumatises the skin to a degree, there are numerous post shave products to calm it back down.
Our skin is not all the same and what's sauce for the goose is not necessarily sauce for the gander.

The only time I've had dermititis on my face was when I dabbled with an electric razor in my late teens. I only mentioned it to show that people with sensitive skin are not people with poor technique as you suggested.
No matter how good your technique, shaving traumatises the skin to a degree, there are numerous post shave products to calm it back down.
Our skin is not all the same and what's sauce for the goose is not necessarily sauce for the gander.
Some may have sensitive skin. Many have poor technique that only makes it appear so. My uncle had a skin condition. His solution was to grow a beard. Hey, each to his own.

Some may have sensitive skin. Many have poor technique that only makes it appear so.
That's an unfounded conclusion you have jumped to. Just as you concluded that because I was relatively new to B&B I must be new to DE shaving.
Like most evangelists you are deaf to reason.

Last edited:
That's an unfounded conclusion you have jumped to. Just as you concluded that because I was relatively new to B&B I must be new to DE shaving.
Like most evangelists you are deaf to reason.

I've been DE shaving since 1991 (26 yrs) and have that 'solid technique' mentioned. It is YMMV. It always is. Increasing aggression on subsequent passes with great technique is senseless in my opinion.

I also have what's been referred to as "sensitive skin". After about 3 years I've found that, for me, starting with a very sharp blade and a relatively aggressive setting on my adjustable (Fat Boy or Slim on 6-8) gives me the least amount of irritation and weepers with an ATG single pass shave with minor touch up, if needed.

I've tried the standard 3-pass and 2-pass, with several styles of vintage Gillettes (SS, Flare, FB, Slim, SA), as well as progressive and regressive settings on the adjustables. Nothing has worked as well for me as the single pass, one ATG with touch up. YMMV.

I also just ordered one of the Futur clones.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I've been DE shaving since 1991 (26 yrs) and have that 'solid technique' mentioned. It is YMMV. It always is. Increasing aggression on subsequent passes with great technique is senseless in my opinion.
It seems to work for some but I personally wouldn't recommend it to anyone with sensitive skin. Upping the aggression = upping the irritation.
It's definitely a case of YMMV as everyone's skin is different.

I also have what's been referred to as "sensitive skin". After about 3 years I've found that, for me, starting with a very sharp blade and a relatively aggressive setting on my adjustable (Fat Boy or Slim on 6-8) gives me the least amount of irritation and weepers with an ATG single pass shave with minor touch up, if needed.

I've tried the standard 3-pass and 2-pass, with several styles of vintage Gillettes (SS, Flare, FB, Slim, SA), as well as progressive and regressive settings on the adjustables. Nothing has worked as well for me as the single pass, one ATG with touch up. YMMV.

I also just ordered one of the Futur clones.

You're a point in case, all the experts, dermatologists, barbers etc., advise against shaving ATG. Yet, you've found, that one ATG pass suits you best.
I've tried my Ming Shi twice now, very impressed, aggressive but smooth. The bulky top cap isn't as restrictive as I thought it would be. Taking the cap off between passes is a pain in the backside though.

You're a point in case, all the experts, dermatologists, barbers etc., advise against shaving ATG. Yet, you've found, that one ATG pass suits you best.
I've tried my Ming Shi twice now, very impressed, aggressive but smooth. The bulky top cap isn't as restrictive as I thought it would be. Taking the cap off between passes is a pain in the backside though.
I'm bucking the system, one DFS at a time. I'm also excited to try a modern/new razor that cost me about the same price as a tuck of blades.

Why do you take off the cap between passes?

First go with the Ming. WTG, XTG, and ATG at 3, 4, and 5. It is a very smooth shaver. Just shy of BBS. Needed more buffing than I expected. Tomorrow I will try 4, 4.5, and 5. Must say that this razor exceeded my expectations in terms of quality.

I was in a razor store today and looked at the Ming. It was twelve bucks. Quality seemed very high. Still, I resisted. (I like the simplicity of a three piece, and think I can adjust fine via blade selection.)

Top Bottom