What's new

May 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD
  • Parker A1C
  • Gillette Nacet* (21)
  • B&M Cheshire - SOTMC
  • Fuller boar
  • WH w/menthol
  • LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Bay Rum AS
The A1C is a standard four-piece Parker travel razor, like the A1R but with an OC baseplate...so, maybe not "standard" after all. Finding information on this razor is very difficult, so maybe it's actually a frankenrazor, but I have seen reference to this model before.

Anyway, there's some blade chatter and it's not the most efficient, but it's fun to use - as long as I pay attention - when I've got a few days' worth to mow down. Today was about 2.5 days' and as usual, the A1C did a fine job. Unlike usual with this razor, I had no nicks or irritation, so that's nice.

I'm still working through the Cheshire for the Soap of the Month Club. It's just hanging on around the edges and will probably make it to the end of the month, but then I'll scoop the bits and add them to a Mug of Gross. I'll be sorry to see it go. Next up is something that travels, since I'm taking my wife, son and mother to Italy for 10 days - maybe with all the recent talk, tallow MWF in a reused plastic tub? Ooh - maybe I'll squish the MWF into the outer ring of Cheshire to hold it in place in that tub? Dunno, but whatever I choose will be something that I can use for the month to stay in SOTMC!

And, yeah, I'll be in Italy, where temptations abound. Danger, danger! I'll try to hold strong and keep my streak alive...

Onward!

[Edit: I found the reference. Maybe this just isn't made anymore, and the intelligence services have scrubbed most traces from the interwebz...]

Last edited:
May 27 - Still in

Fellas I’ve flown to Corfu …

Caught the sun a little and had many 🍺 drinks

Onto the shave

Muhle r41
Gillette Platinum
Omega Jade 🐗 brush
Stirling Island Man Shaving Soap
Osma Block
Stirling Island Man A/s
Stirling Island Man EDT

Very close shave too many passes - struggling to focus and didn’t cut myself … so doing well … alive n kicking

Lost count what I’ve drunk

Struggled shaving being over careful in misty mirror

Catch up soon

May 28 still in

Late sorry

Muhle r41
Gillette Platinum #2
Omega Jade 🐗
STirling Margaritas in the Arctic soap
Alum block

Issey Miyake EDT/Cologne

Great shave result 9.5/10 -

did Knick myself … but still using a misty mirror in hotel.

Shave #20
- Still In -

• B&M Reserve Fern - SOTM
  • PAA Peregrino
  • DSC / Dorco Cart
  • Adam Grooming’s Kolonya Astringent
  • Pinaud’s Clubman Splash
All in all, a pretty dang good shave this morning. Enjoy your weekend !

Looking forward to a Cubs game tomorrow and Haircut Appt at Truefitt & Hill on Tuesday (haircut only?)…
full

full
Go Cubs !!!

I signed up for June. Last June was my first GRUME, and I only planned to participate a month or two to eliminate the regular monthly expenditures which my CFO was seeing on the credit card bill. But once I started, why stop? My issue has always been razors. But then I found myself looking a pretty brushes. Must. Stop! Since GRUME I acquired one razor by trade, and another September 2022 when I was out because I bought a honing device. This year I purchased a razor under the GRUYERE exception rule. This is still acquiring, but GRUME has helped immensely to slow it way down! Without it my razor purchases would probably have been at least one a month, or at least until my CFO glanced at me with her evil eye.

I too was buying too much stuff on a whim. Now trying to understand out of what I have, what do I actually use and what can be discarded.
My Achilles heel was wanting full sets of everything (soap/splash/balm) and fragrances. Have slowed down a heck of a lot last year thanks to participating in GRUME

I signed up for June. Last June was my first GRUME, and I only planned to participate a month or two to eliminate the regular monthly expenditures which my CFO was seeing on the credit card bill. But once I started, why stop? My issue has always been razors. But then I found myself looking a pretty brushes. Must. Stop! Since GRUME I acquired one razor by trade, and another September 2022 when I was out because I bought a honing device. This year I purchased a razor under the GRUYERE exception rule. This is still acquiring, but GRUME has helped immensely to slow it way down! Without it my razor purchases would probably have been at least one a month, or at least until my CFO glanced at me with her evil eye.
Glad you found your groove, after all this is what it boils down to. Looking at my shaving progress, I could have stopped with my second razor and first set of GSB blade that came in pretty quickly, but then there is always what about that one could it be better.

SOTD MAY 29th
May 2023 GRUME
Modern May 2023

Hello friends

We started the week with a chill of 19°C. Yes, this temperature around here is called chilly. I thought it was a good time for a rose scent. I combined Mike’s Rose, Patchouli, Cedarwood, with Acqua Velva Musk and finished with Guerlain’s fantastic Habit Rouge EDT.

To accompany, Merkur Progress (5/4/3), Gillette Nacet (1) and Semogue SOC Boar.

We started the week well, right?

On this fantastic journey, Tony Bennett and Bill Evan, on a magical album.

Rating: 10

Have a nice week and great shaves.
❤️🪒

82894166-A3A1-4207-8E04-1AC96DFAB41E.jpeg
IMG_8845.jpeg

Enjoy your stay in Italy Brandon @FoolishMortal - there are enough cultural and food temptations available to distract you from shaving utilities.
As someone who has been visiting Italy every year for 25 years I concur with what @Guido75 says. Enjoy
Thanks, gents. It's not quite as easy (or inexpensive) for me to get to Italy, but I do love it. I would go more often if I could. I have heritage, and in my early teens, I lived in Germany for 3.5 years, and my parents made it a point for us to use the opportunity to see a fair bit of Europe. I'll be forever grateful for that and I'm trying to pass it on to my son.

My mom and I have been to Rome and Venice a few times, and I was last in Venice in 2015 with my (now) wife. It doesn't feel like it's been eight years, but there you go! She hasn't been to Rome (or Vatican City), though, and my son hasn't been out of the US - COVID put the kibosh on our previous plans - so this will be great for both of them. And then my son does his first (fall) semester of uni as study-abroad in London; he's going to be a world-traveler in short order!

Thanks, gents. It's not quite as easy (or inexpensive) for me to get to Italy, but I do love it. I would go more often if I could. I have heritage, and in my early teens, I lived in Germany for 3.5 years, and my parents made it a point for us to use the opportunity to see a fair bit of Europe. I'll be forever grateful for that and I'm trying to pass it on to my son.

My mom and I have been to Rome and Venice a few times, and I was last in Venice in 2015 with my (now) wife. It doesn't feel like it's been eight years, but there you go! She hasn't been to Rome (or Vatican City), though, and my son hasn't been out of the US - COVID put the kibosh on our previous plans - so this will be great for both of them. And then my son does his first (fall) semester of uni as study-abroad in London; he's going to be a world-traveler in short order!
Sounds like a great trip!!

I too was buying too much stuff on a whim. Now trying to understand out of what I have, what do I actually use and what can be discarded.
My Achilles heel was wanting full sets of everything (soap/splash/balm) and fragrances. Have slowed down a heck of a lot last year thanks to participating in GRUME
It took me a few months in GRUME to actually shave with some of the razors I bought! What a concept, use what I was accumulating? 🤷‍♂️ I obviously needed help!

Top Bottom