What's new

May 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Date27.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE147/365 (100%)
147/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
Gillette Black (18)Omega Super Badger
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Still out, but no Treewhaling either. Spectacular shave! Three passes to BBS or DFS+++. The Blade is still performing and will be on 19 tomorrow.

Had way too much lather after the Omega was done with the soap, but it was slick and smooth just as I like it.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

Still in!

20230527_141005-01.jpeg

It's the Pentecist weekend. We are on a short trip to the south-western part of Germany, close to the French boarder.

I decided to take my Lupo .95 SB with me, which I have neglected as of lately for no other reason than a slightly oversized rotation ☺️ I'll stick to the combo pictured until Monday. 🤩

Today's shave was a brilliant one. The nimbleness and maneuverability of the super slim Lupo head is awesome (very Wolfman WR1 like), it's a very efficient yet smooth head, she offers a good dose of "responsive" bladefeel.
Effotless BBS. 🤩

In the upcoming days my spending focus will be limited to wine 😉
No shaving related temptations in sight.

Schöne Pfingsttage!
Gelukkig Pinksteren!
Happy weekend and Memorial Day!

and last but not least:
Happy weekend and Oak Apple Day 😉

Enjoy your (prolonged) weekend, everyone!

Cheers!
Guido

Last edited:
Still in.

I've reduced the number of shaves to once per week citing the scorching Summer heat here.

I'd rather have comfortable, enjoyable shaves, although it pains me not to use my outstanding, curated, and too expensive stuff more regularly.

The MOAR Boar (Zenith 33 mm boar brush) is the cream of the crop kind of brush, it has developed split ends like crazy in 3rd use (1st time used in a shave), and I can only speculate how beautiful it'll become after a year of usage.

IMG_20230519_115754768~2.jpg

I've been out of touch with the community, especially about the soaps and today I learner about the reformulation of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap.

Welp! Another one bites the (tallow) dust.

Thankfully I have full 1 1/2 soap of MWF in my storage, and absolutely no plans for any purchase (I mean hoarding) of any kind.

Given the usage, my Tallow Tabac is going to be used by future generation as well, lol.

Lesson learned: no FOMO shopping for me, I'm bad at maths in this regard.

Still in.

I've reduced the number of shaves to once per week citing the scorching Summer heat here.

I've been out of touch with the community, especially about the soaps and today I learner about the reformulation of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap.

Thankfully I have full 1 1/2 soap of MWF in my storage, and absolutely no plans for any purchase (I mean hoarding) of any kind.

Given the usage, my Tallow Tabac is going to be used by future generation as well, lol.

Lesson learned: no FOMO shopping for me
You might restock on a heavily mentholated soap on June 1st instead 😉

MWF is a good soap, but Tallow Tabac wipes the floor with it with ease in terms of performance, so personally I'd say "good call" on your end to hoard TTT and to stick with what you already have.

My biggest grief with MWF is that one has to use it regularly as otherwise it will crack like desert ground in the summer... that's what happened to my soaps twice when I didn't use it for a couple of weeks. Thus no restock here as well.

Hope to see you more often here again! 😀🍻

Still in.

I'd rather have comfortable, enjoyable shaves, although it pains me not to use my outstanding, curated, and too expensive stuff more regularly.

The MOAR Boar (Zenith 33 mm boar brush) is the cream of the crop kind of brush, it has developed split ends like crazy in 3rd use (1st time used in a shave), and I can only speculate how beautiful it'll become after a year of usage.

View attachment 1661105

Lesson learned: no FOMO shopping for me, I'm bad at maths in this regard.
When did MWF get reformulated and with no tallow 😳👎👎👎👎

May 27 - Still in

Fellas I’ve flown to Corfu …

Caught the sun a little and had many 🍺 drinks

Onto the shave

Muhle r41
Gillette Platinum
Omega Jade 🐗 brush
Stirling Island Man Shaving Soap
Osma Block
Stirling Island Man A/s
Stirling Island Man EDT

Very close shave too many passes - struggling to focus and didn’t cut myself … so doing well … alive n kicking

Lost count what I’ve drunk

Struggled shaving being over careful in misty mirror

Catch up soon

SOTD MAY 27th
May 2023 GRUME
Modern May 2023

Hello friends,

Saturday is the day I care the most about shaving. It's usually when I test new combinations. Today's was amazing: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper, with Floïd Suave and EDT Terre d'Hermès. Sublime!

I resorted to my usual Saturday razor, Green Cult 2.0 plate IV with my favorite blade, Gillette Nacet (5) and the best-spent $10 of my life: Omega 48 Pro.

Frank was with us, of course.

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

2E97BBDD-FDA6-46CA-9B65-124CEC57CF20.jpeg
IMG_8810.jpeg

I nominate @Guido75 to buy up all the tallow MWF he can find and sell it back to us when we are out of restraint!! 🤣

The FOMO is real for me. :eek2: I picked up a puck of MWF back in December but have not got around to using it yet. So here I am looking at Canadian online retailers who still have old tallow and I may not even like the soap that I have not even tried yet....

Reason is winning over FOMO for now 💪

The FOMO is real for me.

Tallow is nothing magical. If MdC and SV can go without it, then it is clearly not an essential ingredient in a top tier soap.

I tried MWF (tallow) a while back, and it performs well enough, but no better than the aforementioned, although the ceramic bowl is nice.

Nostalgia for tallow, and other discontinued objects, is a key cultural plank of lots of communities like these. The scarcity provides us with a challenge, and there is status associated with the accumulation of "rare" soaps, razors, blades etc. But they all do the same job and in ten or twenty years time there will be another class of "things" that are deemed desirable, or grails, or whatever. They're just things, and their accessible counterparts are just as good at removing whiskers.

Tallow is nothing magical. If MdC and SV can go without it, then it is clearly not an essential ingredient in a top tier soap.

I tried MWF (tallow) a while back, and it performs well enough, but no better than the aforementioned, although the ceramic bowl is nice.

Nostalgia for tallow, and other discontinued objects, is a key cultural plank of lots of communities like these. The scarcity provides us with a challenge, and there is status associated with the accumulation of "rare" soaps, razors, blades etc. But they all do the same job and in ten or twenty years time there will be another class of "things" that are deemed desirable, or grails, or whatever. They're just things, and their accessible counterparts are just as good at removing whiskers.
Thanks man!! You are definitely helping reason prevail!!

Top Bottom