What's new

May 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Shave # 291 on the Feather, I begin the countdown to 300!
🥂 to your success!

Another quick, efficient shave. I don’t know why it took nearly two and half years to learn this. 9.5/10.

It took me a few months in GRUME to actually shave with some of the razors I bought!

I have been wet shaving about as long as you LJ. I still think I am a newbie in a lot of ways...especially the basics!:letterk1:

MdC/Muhle Mondays

PXL_20230529_174806831.jpg

Still In GRUME & GRUYERE

Those individuals that have not discovered wet shaving don't know what they are missing.
The shave today was superb- comfort:10 efficiency:9.4

Please take care of yourself and each other.

May 29Still in…

Oh oh couple knicks with R41

evening shave, had an error mixing up the normal routine - shaving without shower first and in hurry - mainly to see in the mirror.

Muhle r41
Gillette Platinum #3
Omega Jade 🐗
Stirling Triumph Soap
Osma Block - few cuts !
Stirling Triumph A/s

7/10 score due 3 cuts

Last edited:
Today is Micromatic Monday and a test to see if my SE blade still has any good shaved left, so I used my best SE shaver, my GEM Junior 1912 series. I paid close attention to technique and got a 9.4 / 10 shave. It could have been better if I had remembered @thombrogan‘s “chipmunk bite” strokes sooner. (There’s always next week.) Shave 13 on my GEM/Persona PTFE.

Date30.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE150/365 (100%)
150/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
30/29 (94%)
30/31 (100%)
Modern May25/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95SCL
Gillette Black (21)Razorock 400
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave
4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Hang in there gents! Only one more day!! Still doing ok while out. No stocking up on MWF after reading those messages.

Today’s shave was amazing. The Ti95 is my most favourite razor. The Athena is a very close second at the moment. The Razorock 400. What can I say. Bliss.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in & back in the home den!

20230530_095930.jpeg
Blackland's Dart likely was my final partner in crime in this GRUME event. I'm not sure if I'm going to have another shave tomorrow.

Today's Tallow Tabac Tuesday shave was a brilliant one, I started off with a fresh puck. Some might decline that there's any freshness in context of Tabac (🤣), but you know what I mean... 😉

Two passes today with Blackland's Dart, some minor touchups, and two days worth of growth were gone. True BBS.

June already is in sight 😎.
If you haven't already joined in now it's the time to support the June GRUME event (aka the best thread on B&B 😎).

Cheers
Guido

Still in 2 days of growth

May GRUME : 16
2023 GRUYERE : 83

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Zaza (2)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Gillette Lime Shaving Cream
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: Osma alum bloc, Sterling Margaritas in the Arctic balm

Rinse and repeat from Sunday, same result, no complaints. Now if only I had not busted my ankle that would be a great week or almost

- Still In -
No shave today

May 29Still in…

Oh oh couple knicks with R41

evening shave, had an error mixing up the normal routine - shaving without shower first and in hurry - mainly to see in the mirror.

Muhle r41
Gillette Platinum #3
Omega Jade 🐗
Stirling Triumph Soap
Osma Block - few cuts !
Stirling Triumph A/s

7/10 score due 3 cuts
My technique always suffers if I’m rushed or if my environment is less than calm. For me, Super Iridium’s or Nacets are king in the R41. I’ve yet to load a Feather as @JAHE recommended to me a bit ago

I think I’ve abandoned the SAS, CCS, DFS, BBS rating system. I know it has been explained over and over, but it seems to me SAS covers a lot of ground. And I am never sure if my CCS might be better called a good SAS or a poor DFS. In fact, I hardly ever even use the term CCS, I am not sure I understand it. I hesitate to use BBS if I have less than a perfect shave, absolutely no rough spots. Then there’s the plus or minuses I use to try and communicate this. I know that a 1-10 scale with increments (e.g. 9.4) is also subjective, but it makes a lot more sense than me continuing to claim I have a DFS+ or a CCS-, etc. I think I understand what a 9.4 shave is, whether my entire face is a 9.4, or a 10 in some spots and a 9.1 in others. That said, if I ever get (what I think is) a true BBS, you all will be the second to hear about it 😎.

Edit: I might get a BBS if I ever try a new blade again.

Last edited:
Tallow Tabac Tuesday!
My, my, my, I, yi, woo!
M-m-m-my Sharona...Bologna, er uh Krona

PXL_20230530_164535922.jpg

Fellow Tabaconist know the extraordinary merit of Tallow Tabac so todays attraction is the humble Sharona, Bologna, I mean Krona razor. With a new Astra SS blade and great lather applied with a large soft brush what else can I say. I'm giving the shave a 10.

Still In GRUME & GRUYERE
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom