What's new

May 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

And I'm out. I received an offer to purchase an item I had thought to be unavailable.

I feel bad about not making it through the GRUME with less than ten days remaining, but I couldn't let this one get away again
:cool:

It really has been a lot of fun. Good luck to you all...
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Tell us... what's the mysterious item?

Don’t feel bad. That is a nice catch @bjm! What will be its contents? MFW puck?

Cheers,

Guido
MWF? Eventually... and A&E, Arko, B&M, DRH, Haslinger, M&M, Stirling, Tabac, Williams, and whatever else comes along :cool:

I typically remove about 50 grams of soap from its container at a time and press it into a loading bowl; refill pucks are grated. I'm still working my way through a brick of Cella with about 250 grams remaining; the Cella will be the first occupant.

-Still In-
SOTD #19
BBS

Nice and easy Sunday morning BBS. I haven’t been chasing this level of shave; things are just dialed in.

Can’t wait to change things up for next SOTM [/S]

• No Pre-Shave
  • B&M PV (SOTM)
  • Simpson Duke 3 - Best
  • Mühle R89
  • Gillette Rubie (2)
  • Thayer’s Astringent
  • Capt’s Choice Sandalwood splash
  • No Post-Shave balm

Nice combo there. I need (die I do 😬😁😅) get me that Heritage too! Shaves similar to the KCG head I assume?
Main difference between the Gillette Heritage and KCG is the baseplate.

The cap diff is negligible, if any. Gillette (KCG) vs Mühle (Heritage)

Last edited:
And I'm out. I received an offer to purchase an item I had thought to be unavailable.

I feel bad about not making it through the GRUME with less than ten days remaining, but I couldn't let this one get away again
:cool:

It really has been a lot of fun. Good luck to you all...
It looks like you got a really cool item. I hadn't seen that before!

As usual, I encourage you to stay the course for the rest of the month to go 30/31. Feel free to keep posting here if you're so inclined (especially with pics of the Locker in use) and we'll hope to see you in June!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTM
2) @Guido75
3) @Doti B
4) @bubo_strix
5) @iver
6) @Heavy_Metal_Hound
7) @ChriWilson - SOTM
8) @Kyle89
9) Balin - GRUYERE - out (5/13: Tallowhale)
10) @Chef455
11) @mattps1 - GRUYERE - out (5/19: Simpson brush)
12) @Multum in parvo
13) @JKar
14) @cryhavoc
15) @kjbarth - GRUYERE
16) @hopper_64
17) @wes1953
18) @sandorfi - SOTM
19) @BobbyB
20) @Roedeer
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @SharpieB
23) @elmo_koffman - GRUYERE
24) JAHE - out (5/15: Wolfman)
25) bjm - out (5/22: Soap Locker)
26) @linty1
27) @La Malice
28) @Contact_vs_Feedback
29) @Frinstance
30) @johnottavio
31) @Dodger59
32) @FL shaver
33) @Timeclo
34) @lomfs24

23.05.22 - day 23/31 in GRUME for May (74.19% completed and still in).

All in all great performance by the Dorco. Very comfortable shave.

Prep:
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Razor:
King C Gillette
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (3)
Brush:
Omega Black Badger
Cream:
Proraso Green
Bowl:
Proraso
Passes:
WTG - CB Slide and Gillette Slide (NE-SW and E-W horizontal on the neck)
W/XTG - Gillette Slide (NW-SE and S-N on the neck)
X/ATG - Slightly slanted (SW-NE)
ATG - Slightly slanted (S-N and W-E horizontal on the neck).
Aftershave:
Proraso Green
Balm:
Proraso Green
Rating:
8.5/10 DFS with BBS-

Extended notes to today’s shave can be found here: A newbies journey into DE shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11778828

Make today amazing everyone!

Guido

Since we are encouraged to trade, I’ll post the following:

Looking for a Schick Krona (preferably) or a Gillette Super Speed.

Willing to trade:
Supply SE used 6 times + 15 blades
RR SLOC used twice
1959 Gillette Tech in great condition.

Let me know if interested
Can you please be more specific? Do you have an example of what you're looking for? While the Schick Krona is fairly obvious if you exclude the pre-Krona, there are several versions of the Gillette Super Speed.

Or I could be totally off-base. Yesterday my granddaughter told me I make things more difficult than they need to be. She's pretty smart for an eight-year-old so I'm inclined to believe her :cool:

Last edited:
-Still In-
SOTD #20
BBS

What started off as a calm Monday AM shave turned rather quickly into interruption after interruption. Still managed a solid 4-pass BBS, albeit longer than anticipated also requiring an additional load. Still within the confines of a 30min Meditative Session, it was a rather testing experience.
  • No Pre-Shave
  • B&M PV (SOTM)
  • Semogue Torga C3 Mistura
  • Feather AS-D2
  • Kai (3)
  • Thayer’s Astringent
  • A&E Asian Pear splash
  • No Post-Shave balm
AEE88DB6-891F-43F8-95F9-9F085F9D7E54.jpeg

* Eating a heaping bowl of Tom Yum as I type this

Last edited:
@bjm

"Can you please be more specific? Do you have an example of what you're looking for? While the Schick Krona is fairly obvious if you exclude the pre-Krona, there are several versions of the Gillette Super Speed.

Or I could be totally off-base. Yesterday my granddaughter told me I make things more difficult than they need to be. She's pretty smart for an eight-year-old so I'm inclined to believe her"

Appreciate the follow up and request for clarification:

First point, I am searching for a mild-to-average TTO that I will ostensibly use regularly. This is not about a vintage collector for me. I don't hear many good things about currently-produced TTO's being all that good. I could be wrong. I have a Feather Popular, and while I have learned how to use it fairly well, I just want something a bit more substantial.

Also, I do not know much about the history of SS's and don't need to go down another rabbit hole of study. Perhaps I need to so that I can better articulate what I need. (It has been suggested that an adjustable Slim may make more sense). I think I have heard that there was a change in head/dome design at some point and the head became smaller. I think I would prefer that.

Does that help enough?

BTW, I continue to learn from my grandchildren too. My 3 1/2 YO grandson was watching his first baseball game and remarked that "they should call this wait-ball". :D

Top Bottom