What's new

Mawashi's search for the perfect piglet.

TBoner,

A huge thank you for the wonderful PIF.

I took delivery of the 11137 a few hours ago and didn't waste any time to try my MBBM on it.

A 15 min shower while I choked the bottom part of the brush hairs as I just wanted to break in the tips, resulted in this.

View attachment 984830 View attachment 984831 View attachment 984829

Most of the tips have broken in and the brush still has a great backbone.

I did a trial face lather with 11137 and it performed like a champ. Easy, thick lather and a nice mild exfoliation.

You saved me from getting another 24/55mm brush and now I'm very sure of the knot I'll prefer a 24 or 25/48 mm.

Short, stubby, scrubby piggies are what I really like.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Good Lord! You make Omegas look like Semogues! Mawashi's ultrafast method shines again! :001_302:

I'm glad the brush was helpful in your quest. Funny, after all is said and done, that Omega knot might be about perfect for me. Been missing it using my Pros.

Thanks TBoner for the brush, a quick break in and it really feels great but I do prefer shorter lofts still. BigJ thank soo, its a very fun brush and will be with me when I travel.

Looks good. Tips are like fuzzy cotton.

Good Lord! You make Omegas look like Semogues! Mawashi's ultrafast method shines again! :001_302:

It's really soft but retains the backbone because I didn't mash it.

Thx guys and happy shaves,

Mawashi

I'm awaiting the arrival of Rosseforp's 1800 as we exchanged brushes, a 49 for a 1800 recently.

He was lucky to get his first and the broken in 49 is great for him, too big for me but it works great for him and no more lathering woes like with the 1800.

Boars are fun!

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

You might enjoy Omega 10066. It's basically a bigger version of the 13522 with taller loft and bigger knot. It's still on the smaller side but I enjoy it a lot. Also, Semogue 1250 is a lovely small brush that lathers up well. It took a lot to break in but I enjoy it a lot now.

You might enjoy Omega 10066. It's basically a bigger version of the 13522 with taller loft and bigger knot. It's still on the smaller side but I enjoy it a lot. Also, Semogue 1250 is a lovely small brush that lathers up well. It took a lot to break in but I enjoy it a lot now.

Hi Timeclo,

Thanks for the heads up bout the 66 and the 1250. I did check em out and my preferences are towards dense stubbies.
In fact the 11137 TBoner pif to me is better than the 10066 as it has a 24mm instead of a 23mm knot and the same loft.

Here's my dilemma I love boars n have a 11137 a 10104 a yet to arrive 1800 semogue but after my recent Yaqi brushes on sale purchase, I realised a Yaqi 2 band badger is even cheaper than an omega 11126, roughly $16.5 vs $17.5 including shipping.

I might get 2 10051 as they are 24/48 mm and quite reasonable at £10 for both including shipping.

The specs of the 81064 is great 25/54mm is about perfect but at about £14.5 including shipping its more expensive than a Yaqi silvertip (during sales).

Since I've ordered a Piccolo from connaught I might as well put in 2 10051.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

Dense stubbies, eh? You're looking for some rare boar brushes. Personally, I go for dense long handles so I got no recommendations for your type. Some stubbies that I know are Semogue 610, and the Omega 81064 (which I wanted to get).

But my favorite boar is actually Stirling boar brush and it is very affordable ($10). It seems like you are outside of US but if you get a chance, a Stirling boar can be a nice tool for your shave.

Also, Omega 10098 is lovely but it's opposite of what you're looking for, haha.

Dense stubbies, eh? You're looking for some rare boar brushes. Personally, I go for dense long handles so I got no recommendations for your type. Some stubbies that I know are Semogue 610, and the Omega 81064 (which I wanted to get).

But my favorite boar is actually Stirling boar brush and it is very affordable ($10). It seems like you are outside of US but if you get a chance, a Stirling boar can be a nice tool for your shave.

Also, Omega 10098 is lovely but it's opposite of what you're looking for, haha.

Hi Timeclo,

Dense stubbies meaning the knot not the whole brush lol. Although, one of my favourites is a short metal Yaqi silvertip. It's absolutely adorable and I want another but in a 2 band knot.

I do prefer longer handles and will add a long metal 2 band to my collection but for boars it's really hard to find a dense stubby knot cos most people will find it difficult to break in a stubby and it'll put off most newbies to a boar.

However, I can quickly break in a boar so and the feel of super soft tips with a dense backbone is pretty amazing.

A 25/48mm boar with bleached tips or premium grade hairs will be my ultimate boar brush.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

Hi Timeclo,

Dense stubbies meaning the knot not the whole brush lol. Although, one of my favourites is a short metal Yaqi silvertip. It's absolutely adorable and I want another but in a 2 band knot.

I do prefer longer handles and will add a long metal 2 band to my collection but for boars it's really hard to find a dense stubby knot cos most people will find it difficult to break in a stubby and it'll put off most newbies to a boar.

However, I can quickly break in a boar so and the feel of super soft tips with a dense backbone is pretty amazing.

A 25/48mm boar with bleached tips or premium grade hairs will be my ultimate boar brush.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi
Stubbies made me think of the Simpson's Chubbies, haha. I've seen one dense stubby boar on ebay. It was this one Zenith Scrubby Chubby

With the 28mm, it might be too dense but it seems like something that you'd like. Anyways, have fun and hope you find that perfect boar brush.

Stubbies made me think of the Simpson's Chubbies, haha. I've seen one dense stubby boar on ebay. It was this one Zenith Scrubby Chubby

With the 28mm, it might be too dense but it seems like something that you'd like. Anyways, have fun and hope you find that perfect boar brush.

Simpsons have been mentioned many times but they're outta my price range. Besides I get a real kick out of a getting a real bang for my buck.

Density isn't the issue but 28 mm would be huge lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Simpsons have been mentioned many times but they're outta my price range. Besides I get a real kick out of a getting a real bang for my buck.

Density isn't the issue but 28 mm would be huge lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
Same. When I get that great deal for a quality product, it feels amazing. Buying stuff is an addiction but getting good deals is another addiction added on.

Same. When I get that great deal for a quality product, it feels amazing. Buying stuff is an addiction but getting good deals is another addiction added on.

Hey Timeclo,

There buying and there's getting a real steal of a deal. The Yaqi sale is a steal.

A silvertip for $16.4 in a solid metal or resin handle including delivery is a steal.
Even a silvertip knot for $15 is a super deal.

But they don't have it all their own way, the Yaqi boars were pulled cos of serious issues.

If I want a good boar Omegas and Semogues are the go to brands for me.

I do see a few more boars expecially the after Christmas sales period in the UK or black Friday sales :)

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Hey Timeclo,

There buying and there's getting a real steal of a deal. The Yaqi sale is a steal.

A silvertip for $16.4 in a solid metal or resin handle including delivery is a steal.
Even a silvertip knot for $15 is a super deal.

But they don't have it all their own way, the Yaqi boars were pulled cos of serious issues.

If I want a good boar Omegas and Semogues are the go to brands for me.

I do see a few more boars expecially the after Christmas sales period in the UK or black Friday sales :)

Happy shaves,

Mawashi
Agreed. Yaqi brushes are a steal and I've been loving every single on of them. Here's a picture of an earlier Yaqi mail call. Amazing brushes for great prices.

As for boars, Omega's and Semogue's are the best. I am pretty satisfied with my 5 boar collection but I wouldn't mind a couple more... I'm interested in the SOC and Zenith brushes. They tend to be on the pricier side so I'll be waiting for the best deal.

Attachments

• Yaqi Mail Call 2.jpg
    Yaqi Mail Call 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
Agreed. Yaqi brushes are a steal and I've been loving every single on of them. Here's a picture of an earlier Yaqi mail call. Amazing brushes for great prices.

As for boars, Omega's and Semogue's are the best. I am pretty satisfied with my 5 boar collection but I wouldn't mind a couple more... I'm interested in the SOC and Zenith brushes. They tend to be on the pricier side so I'll be waiting for the best deal.

Hey Timeclo,

Very nice set of badgers n sys, tuxs, 2bands, silver tips and the black handle looks rad.

I should have looked harder as I would have chosen the black over the purple handle lol.

You should check out this brush here. This one seems to be very close to your ideal boar, except 1mm off the knot.

Omega Model 10290 Orange Handle Boar Shaving Brush | Maggard Razors Traditional Wet Shaving Products

Yes I did:
OMEGA Shaving Brushes

However, the 10051 is going to be a trial run as the the 290 is £0.50 more. Sure its just pennies more but I don't need a better handle as I'll likely extract the knot into a DIY shot glass handle.

I'm narrowing down my choices but a 25/48 banded knot might be the ONE that rules all the boars for me lol.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

This used to be my regular brush. Plenty of back bone. Loads quickly and effectively. Still in the rotation but it's taken a back seat to the 011842, it's a little softer and a little less backbone, but loving it for face lathering.

Thanks BrianP,

That's a huge brush 27/52mm knot.
Having tried the 49, I found a 26mm knot huge.

The 10104 is a very decent brush if too big still.

For what's it's worth, I tried the Yaqi short metal handle Silvertip with green proraso and it gave a super lather. Despite being just 24/52, it has a great combination of backbone and soft tips that I am getting more Yaqi badgers.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

I'm glad the brush was helpful in your quest. Funny, after all is said and done, that Omega knot might be about perfect for me. Been missing it using my Pros.

TBoner many thanks again for the 11137 it's become my fav boar. The 24/55 is about perfect.

My experience is that a boar brush works better if I use a light touch.

I love the feeling of a light exfoliating scrub so a medium touch is better for me.

My favourite boars are the 10810 and 10018/9.

I've also got the chunky chubb but the handle is too short.

I'm really enjoying the 810 n 51 both are funny brushes. Stubbies compared to the rest of my other brushes.

I just took deliver of the 1800 (thanks Rosseforp)!

I can now officially state that I much prefer the knots of Omega or similar to a Semogue.

That thing is a mop and by the time I get any backbone I'm halfway into the brush which means I'm lathering my eyes n ears too lol.

No wonder it takes so much longer to break one in, it's like trying to apply pressure at the tips of a wet noodle.

I had to do a MMBBM instead, Modified Mawashi Boar Break-in Method rofl.
IMG-20190708-WA0023.jpeg

And got some nicely broken in tips.
IMG-20190708-WA0021.jpeg

I lathered with it this morning and got a decent albeit messy lather application.

Nav and BF buddies I agree it splays and feel badger like but, it's too mop like for me. I'm an uncultured dense, bulb knot user lol.

Thanks Rosseforp at least now I know and I'm hoping u are enjoying the huge 49 too.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom