What's new

Goldilocks & The 3 Boars (Omega 10108)

Ah, Omega boars! I love ‘em. If you are a wet shaver of a certain vintage (i.e. before the introduction of synthetics that actually work) then there’s a pretty good chance that your first “proper” brush was an Omega.

Me, I started with Omegas and went all around the houses in terms of brush choices. These days, I am back to where I started. Yes, I have a few brushes in rotation, but Omegas probably get more face time than anything else. Turns out, the things that make them attractive for beginners are still attractive to me today:
  • They're Cheap (I can get a basic model for less than 5 Imperial Credits)
  • They're Cheerful (Look at those jaunty colours!)
  • Once broken in, they’re a joy to use and perform like champions.
Yes, other makers offer fancier handles, or more carefully graded knots, but for me a good Omega really hits the spot. I am a face latherer. I like a bit of gentle, exfoliating scrub and an easy splay that doesn’t stray into floppy territory. Omega’s lightly bleached knots, with a range of “tops” throughout the loft, seem to provide just what I look for. Sure, sometimes you get a rogue, spiky bristle that needs to be taken out with pair of nail scissors, but I’m a big boy and I can cope with that. The fact that they are not as uniform as other brushes is part of the charm.

But which model to choose? There are some well known models that get a lot of love. Take for example, the 10065 – let’s call it the “Baby Boar”. The knot size makes the 10065 a great choice for face lathering…but that handle has always bothered me a little. For someone with tendon issues in their hands, its shape isn’t the most comfortable thing in the world. I like my 10065 and wouldn’t be without one (I have spares, just in case) but something that’s more substantial and comfortable for my hands is welcome.

How about the 10049 Pro? This model is the standard “Big Boar” of the Omega line up. It’s true that I like big boars (and I cannot lie). There are no problems with handle comfort here. Nevertheless, I must admit that sometimes - just sometimes - the 49 can feel a bit like overkill as a face lathering brush. If you don’t mind getting lather all over the bathroom it’s great fun, but unless you regularly perform a 6 pass shave, it’s probably bigger than you truly need.

If only there was a happy medium between the two. Well, the other night I reached into the back of a drawer and pulled out an Omega box containing a brush I had purchased some time ago and then, for whatever reason, left untouched. I have been breaking it in for a couple of days and guys, I think this might be “the one” for face lathering.

It’s not too small, it’s not too big. In fact, it’s “just right”. I think that the goldilocks Omega boar for face lathering is the Omega 10108!

It's a model I rarely see people using or talking about, but that big, comfy handle combined with a short (55mm) yet wide knot provides all the characteristics I look for. In use, the overall dimensions remind me a lot of the Zenith B03-A26, a much-loved brush, but whereas that brush has almost too much backbone and knot density for a masher like me, the Omega knot splays easily and gently, with just enough resistance to provide that pleasant level of scrub. Furthermore, because of its shorter loft compared to the 49, with the 10108 you can hit the sweet-spot of splay / scrub without having bristles spread out so wide that you are in danger of swamping your face and lathering the inside of your ears or nose by mistake!

So, gentlemen, my recommendation is that if you are boar fan and you like to face lather, then the next time you are looking for something cheap to bump up an order and qualify for free shipping, throw an Omega 10108 in your cart and give it a try. I think you will be glad that you did! Me, I am going to acquire another one and stash it away…just in case.

20230706_115900.jpg

(I apologise for the crappy, backlit photo. It's either that or block the light by standing in front of it).

Wow, I expected to get responses with people telling me of course, they love the 10108! It looks like it really is as slept on as I thought it was (or possibly not interesting to brush aficionados).

Are you sure the 49 is bigger than the 108?

The knot is definitely bigger on the 49. I agree that in the picture you can see the handle on the 108 is a little larger than the 49, although the blown out exposure around the knots kind of hides the full story there.

Omega knot dimensions are not exact, but grabbing a ruler I would say that on those two examples, the 108 handle is circa 2mm or 3mm taller than the 49, but the loft on the 49 is 7mm or 8mm taller than the 108. That loft difference is actually pretty much what it should be, if you go by the dimensions on Connaughts (which is where both of these came from). They have 62mm on the 49 and 55mm on the 108. Of course, there are other Omega brushes with 55mm lofts, but the 108 also gives you the 27mm diameter at the base, whereas most of the non-Pro series 55mm Omegas have a smaller diameter.

This got me thinking...

Isn't the 108 the same knot as the Proraso brush? It sure does seem so as it is 27/55...

Ohhh...maybe it is! I never thought of that but it would certainly seem very, very probable. That's the one Pro 49 style brush I don't have, as whenever I look for it I can only find it in stock with overpriced amazon sellers.

Now I feel like I need to get one anyway to do a comparison. That said, I still find the 108 handle probably even better than the 49 style in terms of comfort, but that's definitely going to be a YMMV thing depending on hand size. For what it's worth, a Mechanix in M fits my hand like a second skin - I believe that is a popular glove brand in the USA, so hopefully that's a useful reference point.

Ohhh...maybe it is! I never thought of that but it would certainly seem very, very probable. That's the one Pro 49 style brush I don't have, as whenever I look for it I can only find it in stock with overpriced amazon sellers.

Now I feel like I need to get one anyway to do a comparison. That said, I still find the 108 handle probably even better than the 49 style in terms of comfort, but that's definitely going to be a YMMV thing depending on hand size. For what it's worth, a Mechanix in M fits my hand like a second skin - I believe that is a popular glove brand in the USA, so hopefully that's a useful reference point.
I say get one and try to do a comparison, it will sure be interesting!

There's quite a few threads discussing the knot on the Proraso, maybe, just maybe, this could be it.

Science is calling you! :c1:

Cheap and cheerful, that's Omega!

As a jar lover, I have four 10065s (colors!) and a 10066. The bigger handles are just a bit too much for me. Besides the great knots, Omega's diversity of handles is world leading.

Ah, Omega boars! I love ‘em. If you are a wet shaver of a certain vintage (i.e. before the introduction of synthetics that actually work) then there’s a pretty good chance that your first “proper” brush was an Omega.

Me, I started with Omegas and went all around the houses in terms of brush choices. These days, I am back to where I started. Yes, I have a few brushes in rotation, but Omegas probably get more face time than anything else. Turns out, the things that make them attractive for beginners are still attractive to me today:
  • They're Cheap (I can get a basic model for less than 5 Imperial Credits)
  • They're Cheerful (Look at those jaunty colours!)
  • Once broken in, they’re a joy to use and perform like champions.
Yes, other makers offer fancier handles, or more carefully graded knots, but for me a good Omega really hits the spot. I am a face latherer. I like a bit of gentle, exfoliating scrub and an easy splay that doesn’t stray into floppy territory. Omega’s lightly bleached knots, with a range of “tops” throughout the loft, seem to provide just what I look for. Sure, sometimes you get a rogue, spiky bristle that needs to be taken out with pair of nail scissors, but I’m a big boy and I can cope with that. The fact that they are not as uniform as other brushes is part of the charm.

But which model to choose? There are some well known models that get a lot of love. Take for example, the 10065 – let’s call it the “Baby Boar”. The knot size makes the 10065 a great choice for face lathering…but that handle has always bothered me a little. For someone with tendon issues in their hands, its shape isn’t the most comfortable thing in the world. I like my 10065 and wouldn’t be without one (I have spares, just in case) but something that’s more substantial and comfortable for my hands is welcome.

How about the 10049 Pro? This model is the standard “Big Boar” of the Omega line up. It’s true that I like big boars (and I cannot lie). There are no problems with handle comfort here. Nevertheless, I must admit that sometimes - just sometimes - the 49 can feel a bit like overkill as a face lathering brush. If you don’t mind getting lather all over the bathroom it’s great fun, but unless you regularly perform a 6 pass shave, it’s probably bigger than you truly need.

If only there was a happy medium between the two. Well, the other night I reached into the back of a drawer and pulled out an Omega box containing a brush I had purchased some time ago and then, for whatever reason, left untouched. I have been breaking it in for a couple of days and guys, I think this might be “the one” for face lathering.

It’s not too small, it’s not too big. In fact, it’s “just right”. I think that the goldilocks Omega boar for face lathering is the Omega 10108!

It's a model I rarely see people using or talking about, but that big, comfy handle combined with a short (55mm) yet wide knot provides all the characteristics I look for. In use, the overall dimensions remind me a lot of the Zenith B03-A26, a much-loved brush, but whereas that brush has almost too much backbone and knot density for a masher like me, the Omega knot splays easily and gently, with just enough resistance to provide that pleasant level of scrub. Furthermore, because of its shorter loft compared to the 49, with the 10108 you can hit the sweet-spot of splay / scrub without having bristles spread out so wide that you are in danger of swamping your face and lathering the inside of your ears or nose by mistake!

So, gentlemen, my recommendation is that if you are boar fan and you like to face lather, then the next time you are looking for something cheap to bump up an order and qualify for free shipping, throw an Omega 10108 in your cart and give it a try. I think you will be glad that you did! Me, I am going to acquire another one and stash it away…just in case.

View attachment 1682096

(I apologise for the crappy, backlit photo. It's either that or block the light by standing in front of it).
I tend to agree with your finding concerning the 10108, I happened to buy this brush over a year ago and did not expect it to be as good as it is, it definitely hits the sweet spot for me when it comes to face lathering. It's my go to brush along with the Proraso/Omega. These two brushes have replaced my other omega, zenith and Semogue Brushes except for the SOC which i use when i travel.

From Omega I have a Pro 49, a 108, a Jade and a Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog (made by Omega and similar/the same as the Proraso Pro but with a different colour handle).

- The Pro 49 is definitely a bigger knot with a higher loft and too floppy for me. It's s no longer in my rotation.
- The Wild Hog is a shorter loft but also too floppy, not very dense and is no longer in my rotation.
- The 108 is an excellent brush, not as tall as the 49 and denser than the Wild Hog. It's regularly in my rotation
- The Jade is near the top of the boar tree, fantastic knot and now available in faux ivory as well (got one delivered today).

I found the knot from the 108 will swap neatly into the 49 handle. The handle of the 49 is slightly shorter. Since the handle is hollow, you can easily add some weight to it (I used some nickel coins). After this little modification, complaints about the handle feeling cheap fall away. My 49 feels about the same weight as the solid handle Jade in hand. It originally cost $9! A 49 and a 108 together cost less than a Jade!

I put the old 49 knot into the original 108 handle to make a spare brush.

I found the knot from the 108 will swap neatly into the 49 handle. The handle of the 49 is slightly shorter. Since the handle is hollow, you can easily add some weight to it (I used some nickel coins). After this little modification, complaints about the handle feeling cheap fall away. My 49 feels about the same weight as the solid handle Jade in hand. It originally cost $9! A 49 and a 108 together cost less than a Jade!

I put the old 49 knot into the original 108 handle to make a spare brush.

Alright, calm down, Macgyver! :wink2:

On a serious note, how do you get the knots out without cracking the handles? When I have seen photos of folks "harvesting" Omega knots for custom handles, usually the original handle ends up as toast.

On a serious note, how do you get the knots out without cracking the handles? When I have seen photos of folks "harvesting" Omega knots for custom handles, usually the original handle ends up as toast.

I don't want anyone to damage their brush, but Omega knots are easier to remove than most.

The boar knots are usually mounted in a plastic cup that fits into the handle with a friction fit. You can start by grasping the bristles firmly in one hand while holding the handle with the other hand. You must overcome the friction holding the plastic socket in place, most easily by twisting the knot in the handle while pulling out with steady force. This may be easier if the handle is slightly warm.

I did this originally to add weight to my $9 Omega 49 handle. That worked well, so I added some weight to the 108, too. Then comparing the knots, I saw that 108 knot with its shorter loft would fit in the 49 handle. I liked that combo so kept it.

The boar knots are usually mounted in a plastic cup that fits into the handle with a friction fit. You can start by grasping the bristles firmly in one hand while holding the handle with the other hand. You must overcome the friction holding the plastic socket in place, most easily by twisting the knot in the handle while pulling out with steady force.

I had no idea you could simply twist them out. That opens up a world of possibilities for sticking Omega knots into nicer handles!

I had no idea you could simply twist them out. That opens up a world of possibilities for sticking Omega knots into nicer handles!

You may be able to twist them out if the brush cooperates! If the brush proves stubborn, it should be possible to gently pry the plastic socket holding the knot to loosen it from the handle. Then, once you have it released part way, you can twist it out.

Top Bottom