What's new

Recommend A Brush

Calling all B&B brush experts! 📣

I will be looking to grab a new brush soon and would like your opinions before the purchase.

I have been a face latherer for a number of years but have recently switched to more of a hybrid method. I basically build my lather in the bowl until satisfied, then do a bit of scrub on the face, followed by a couple painting strokes before moving on to the shave.

My long-time daily driver has been the humble RazoRock Plissoft synthetic in 24mm. I measure it's handle at 50mm and the loft at 55mm.

This has been a great option for face lathering but I'm beating my knuckles up using it in the bowl. So, the question is should I grab this same knot type and size just with a longer handle? Or, would a different knot be better for the hybrid method I'm using now?

I would prefer to not exceed $100, below $50 would be ideal. However, if there is some magical option you feel strongly about I'll consider going above that limitation.

As always, thanks very much to all my B&B friends for your advice and support! 🍻

A boar brush, once broken in, can be a thing of beauty. The Omega 48 has a long handle and a tall loft, and easily obtainable in the US. Boar fibers build a great lather. It does not cost much, but performs well above its price. Except for the inexpensive handle, you are not sacrificing anything in performance in my opinion. It was my first brush, and a sentimental favorite. After 2.5 years, it is very soft.

A Proraso professional is a similar brush, also made by Omega. Also, RazoRock "blondie boar bristle" brushes are actually made by Zenith, another excellent boar brush brand. I would highly recommend those as well.

Otherwise, I believe a longer handled synthetic brush from WCS or Yaqi (same thing I suspect) is an inexpensive alternative.

On the synthetic front, the Simpson Trafalgar T2 or T3 is a great option. I really enjoy mine, but others do not like it.

I lather like you, preliminary bowl lather then face with added water drips as needed. I’ve been using the tall slender Simpson Emperors for many years. I also had the Chubbies in the past, the Ch1 was fine.

I am now going all synthetic. The Duke3 in Platinum grade bristle works very well for both bowl and face lathering. This week I should be receiving others, the Classic1, M7, Ch2 all in Platinum, and the inexpensive Trafalgar1 in Sovereign bristle.

Semogue Taj , great handle to lather the way you describe , cloud soft knot on mine and it’s not even broken in yet! Another option would be a Simpson platinum synthetic in one of the longer handles like a Polo , M7 , Fifty series would all do very well!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I enjoy the 26mm synthetic knots lately, they are not lather hogs and feel good to the face and just a joy to use IMO.
If you want a badger brush I like the 2 band 24mm badgers Yaqi offers, they are affordable and pillow like soft tips & are good for scrubbing and painting lather also. Razorock has 2 band badger brushes also but not familiar with them.

Simpson M7 Synthetic for something different.

If you are happy with the RR, why not try a longer handled RR400?
+1,000 based on your descriptions the RR400 is a perfect match. I believe it’s a perfect brush!

Another option in the boar department is from Zenith - the 502 series. Amazing brush.

Guido

I lather like you, preliminary bowl lather then face with added water drips as needed. I’ve been using the tall slender Simpson Emperors for many years. I also had the Chubbies in the past, the Ch1 was fine.

I am now going all synthetic. The Duke3 in Platinum grade bristle works very well for both bowl and face lathering. This week I should be receiving others, the Classic1, M7, Ch2 all in Platinum, and the inexpensive Trafalgar1 in Sovereign bristle.

Good suggestions! I suggest you also consider Simpsons fifty series which are great brushes IMO!

RR_400.jpg

I thought I'd update this thread with a pic of the brush I settled on.

A couple of you suggested this one and tbh it does seem to fit the brief rather well. Can't wait to give it a spin tonight.

For all the other folks who helped out with different suggestions, don't worry...I'll probably buy those too. 😝

Special shout to @Quasimodo, I did end up switching out to a bowl with a different profile. Working great, thanks again!

View attachment 1645915

I thought I'd update this thread with a pic of the brush I settled on.

A couple of you suggested this one and tbh it does seem to fit the brief rather well. Can't wait to give it a spin tonight.

For all the other folks who helped out with different suggestions, don't worry...I'll probably buy those too. 😝

Special shout to @Quasimodo, I did end up switching out to a bowl with a different profile. Working great, thanks again!
This brush is known as the "Lather King"
It sees soap and automatically builds lather!

Many many years ago, I had a boar bristle with a long wood handle, and I liked it. It worked well with the Old Spice puck in the bowl. It was strictly face lather.
Thinking about it, I always end up with soap on the handle, and a longer handle would be a nice addition, even on a synth

@know1special - how did the brush work out? Did the aluminum handle clank much in your bowl?

I'm contemplating the lesser expensive plastic handled version vs. the aluminum handle. I'll be using a plastic shave bowl, so the metal wouldn't be a problem, but plastic on plastic is maybe less annoying.

Top Bottom