What's new

Mawashi's search for the perfect piglet.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
F999EDF0-B2A9-4D4E-A3F4-74EB78D9C96A.jpeg

Hey guys,

I'm looking for the perfect piglet, a small/medium boar brush.
Having tried my buddy's 13522 I thought it great but a little too small, with a knot that's just 21mm / 46mm.

Now I've gotten great, no... Make that super! advice from many of you like Nav, life2short71 etc etc and I've sort of nailed my choices to a few juicy ones.

A 11126, it has a great handle, the right density 24mm but it's a tad tall at 55mm

The 11574 looks fantastic but isn't available via connaught.

40033 is a very interesting brush that seems to have great reviews too. The fact that guys like Jim and other veterans of the board love it says a lot.

10051 is the one I want to pair with the 11126 as it has the same knot as the 40033 but with an easier to use handle.

Other brushes worth a look are the 81151 n 11047. I did not include semogue brushes as I'm looking for a densely packed brush with a loft around 50mm or slightly more. Basically a larger version of the 13522 :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mawashi
I made this photo in response to another thread but this is the fourth thread I’m posting it to. It is a comparison of two 10048s. The red has over 3,000 shaves on it and the black is only a few weeks old.

I love my 49 n 10104 but they are big brushes too big for me.

After my MBBM method the hairs have split very nicely and lather easily. But really I'm looking for something smaller and have shortlisted the 1800 and perhaps the 1470.

View attachment 979730

I made this photo in response to another thread but this is the fourth thread I’m posting it to. It is a comparison of two 10048s. The red has over 3,000 shaves on it and the black is only a few weeks old.

steveclarkus,

Many thanks for the pics and the info. Don't get me wrong I love how nicely my 49.sbd 10104 lathers but I rather have something smaller.

A best grade board in a 23 or 24 knot with a 50-52mm loft might be perfect.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
steveclarkus,

Many thanks for the pics and the info. Don't get me wrong I love how nicely my 49.sbd 10104 lathers but I rather have something smaller.

A best grade board in a 23 or 24 knot with a 50-52mm loft might be perfect.
It does eat soap. I’ll give you that. My most frequent soap is Arko so that doesn’t really matter.

It does eat soap. I’ll give you that. My most frequent soap is Arko so that doesn’t really matter.

Hahaha so true cos its so cheap but once you start using soft soaps like TFS n proraso it goes away crazy fast.

That said, the feeling of a big brush is fantastic.

Btw what do you think of the 1800 n 1470 please?

Cheers n happy shaves,

Mawashi

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hahaha so true cos its so cheap but once you start using soft soaps like TFS n proraso it goes away crazy fast.

Cheers n happy shaves,

Mawashi
I haven’t tried them. The 48 was the first brush I bought when I joined the board and got stuck on it. Before that, I just used those little boar brushes you get when you buy soaps. I’m not really into brushes or soaps but I do have two synthetics and an inexpensive boar but don’t care for them. As far as soaps go, I grated a puck of Williams and a stick of Arko and stuffed the mixture into a rice bowl today. I got a large puck of soap that lathers very well and is very slick for $2. It also has a pleasant soap smell - both are citron but Wms is milder. I’ve done it before and it proved to be an excellent soap up there with Tabac and MWF. Arko, MWF, and Schafmilch are the four soaps I use and I don’t care about different scents, just performance. The slickness of the Williams really does push Arko, already a worthy soap, up a notch. I didn’t mean to get off the brush subject there but I tend to digress often. But regarding brushes, I much prefer large boars as evidenced by the fact I have two 48s and a 49. I try to put my money into straight razors. I view brushes and soaps strictly as utilities and razors as an unfortunate obsession.

Last edited:
I haven’t tried them. The 48 was the first brush I bought when I joined the board and got stuck on it. Before that, I just used those little boar brushes you get when you buy soaps. I’m not really into brushes or soaps but I do have two synthetics and an inexpensive boar but don’t care for them. As far as soaps go, I grated a puck of Williams and a stick of Arko and stuffed the mixture into a rice bowl today. I got a large puck of soap that lathers very well and is very slick for $2. It also has a pleasant soap smell - both are citron but Wms is milder. I’ve done it before and it proved to be an excellent soap up there with Tabac and MWF. Arko, MWF, and Schafmilch are the four soaps I use and I don’t care about different scents, just performance. The slickness of the Williams really does push Arko, already a worthy soap, up a notch. I didn’t mean to get off the brush subject there but I tend to digress often. But regarding brushes, I much prefer large boars as evidenced by the fact I have two 48s and a 49. I try to put my money into straight razors. I view brushes and soaps strictly as utilities and razors as an unfortunate obsession.

A high five for the same obsession lol.
Soaps and brushes are just utility pieces so expensive brushes or soaps don't rock my boat as they have a limited lifespan anyway.

Omega, semogue, Tony zhang and yaqi are what I'll brands I consider to give the best bang for the buck and for soaps arko, wms, TFS would be stuff worth getting.

Back to brushes, as I'm starting to face lather, I rather have a medium, soft tip / medium backbone, short loft brush that doesn't waste a lot of soap yet feels like a mild exfoliating scrub.

To that end, that seem to suit that purpose are the 11126, 1800 and 1470.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
BTW I’ve named the Arko/Williams mix “Wilko”. So you may see it pop up on the “What soap did you use today” thread.

Rofl that a funny if appropriate name.

My Arko/Nivea cream combo doesn't yet have a name... Arvea or Niko lol.

When it comes to omega, I don't see the 24/55mm ratio a problem because they bloom much less than semogue boar brushes. I consider it the perfect ratio in fact.

Cheers n happy shaves,

Mawashi

What about the 620! I stumbled upon this video that is a bit odd in a funny way. Maybe you could contact him and teach him your patented break in method and he could make a second video!

Imagine the same scene, with the famous shower scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho", while trying to illustrate your break in technique and as soundtrack, the original soundtrack blended with screams from boars and the brush going up and down with force against his body! :lol1: :lol1:

"Mawashi's boar break in tutorial video".

Arvea by Niko, Extra Supermarket Purissima

The moto being cheap but good lol.

When it comes to omega, I don't see the 24/55mm ratio a problem because they bloom much less than semogue boar brushes. I consider it the perfect ratio in fact.

The difference is bulb vs a fan knot. But yes a 24/50-55 is a great knot especially with the bleached hairs.

What about the 620! I stumbled upon this video that is a bit odd in a funny way. Maybe you could contact him and teach him your patented break in method and he could make a second video!

Imagine the same scene, with the famous shower scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho", while trying to illustrate your break in technique and as soundtrack, the original soundtrack blended with screams from boars and the brush going up and down with force against his body! :lol1: :lol1:

"Mawashi's boar break in tutorial video".

Shudders lol!

TBoner,

A huge thank you for the wonderful PIF.

I took delivery of the 11137 a few hours ago and didn't waste any time to try my MBBM on it.

A 15 min shower while I choked the bottom part of the brush hairs as I just wanted to break in the tips, resulted in this.

IMG_20190528_195449.jpg IMG_20190528_195435.jpg IMG_20190528_195457.jpg

Most of the tips have broken in and the brush still has a great backbone.

I did a trial face lather with 11137 and it performed like a champ. Easy, thick lather and a nice mild exfoliation.

You saved me from getting another 24/55mm brush and now I'm very sure of the knot I'll prefer a 24 or 25/48 mm.

Short, stubby, scrubby piggies are what I really like.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

TBoner,

A huge thank you for the wonderful PIF.

I took delivery of the 11137 a few hours ago and didn't waste any time to try my MBBM on it.

A 15 min shower while I choked the bottom part of the brush hairs as I just wanted to break in the tips, resulted in this.

View attachment 984830 View attachment 984831 View attachment 984829

Most of the tips have broken in and the brush still has a great backbone.

I did a trial face lather with 11137 and it performed like a champ. Easy, thick lather and a nice mild exfoliation.

You saved me from getting another 24/55mm brush and now I'm very sure of the knot I'll prefer a 24 or 25/48 mm.

Short, stubby, scrubby piggies are what I really like.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Nice!! :a14::a14:

I'm glad the brush was helpful in your quest. Funny, after all is said and done, that Omega knot might be about perfect for me. Been missing it using my Pros.

Top Bottom