What's new

Goldilocks & The 3 Boars (Omega 10108)

How come I only noticed this thread now?
But which model to choose? There are some well known models that get a lot of love. Take for example, the 10065 – let’s call it the “Baby Boar”. The knot size makes the 10065 a great choice for face lathering
but that handle has always bothered me a little. For someone with tendon issues in their hands, its shape isn’t the most comfortable thing in the world. I like my 10065 and wouldn’t be without one (I have spares, just in case) but something that’s more substantial and comfortable for my hands is welcome.

View attachment 1682096

(I apologise for the crappy, backlit photo. It's either that or block the light by standing in front of it).
You got the Omega size division wrong from the start. You take the Pro brushes as a base, and then everything smaller is a "baby" for you.
10065 is middle range - 55/24. Roughly the division is as follows. Small ones - up to 50-51 mm loft - usually 22-23mm diameter (with 1-2 exceptions). Medium - 55/24 - lots of models, and 2 55/24 models. Then we go to professional sizes - 27mm diameter and loft ranging from 57 (Proraso Pro) to 70 - the real brooms (e.g. 10048).
BTW, for me those handles (10065 an 20 more models with with the same handle) are one of the most comfortable. It's all about your hand size. I have small hands

This got me thinking...

Isn't the 108 the same knot as the Proraso brush? It sure does seem so as it is 27/55...
No it isn't. They are very different brushes. Although dimensions are roughly the same, Proraso has strong backbone. 10108 is floppy especially when well broken in. It is just the same brush as its older brother - the discontinued 10104. They discontinued it because the handle develops cracks in the upper half after 30-40 shaves.

Last edited:
The 10108 Omega is my favorite brush. Like you said it is just right. After reading this thread I feel like I should buy a backup just in case they discontinue it.

The 10108 Omega is my favorite brush. Like you said it is just right. After reading this thread I feel like I should buy a backup just in case they discontinue it.

:thumbsup: I already did exactly that. I have a drawer with a backup 10108, 49 and 10065 sitting in it...In a world where (real) MWF has gone the way of the dodo, you can't be too careful.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Some years back after becoming disenchanted with badgers and having tried a synthetic "lather mop" I picked up a 10005 at the drugstore for $10 or so. I see they've ballooned astronomically in price and are now $15.

Smallish beechwood handle, not a large knot. Thought, "Yeah, it isn't much but cheap enough I'll give it a go." Five or six years later it's still the brush I use. Every. Single. Shave.

I also have a Wilkinson Sword boar of similar quality from another store. It's not quite as nice but is my backup. There's a nearly-unused Cherry SOC in the cave. Not a bad brush but with two other boars (and only using one) it's just waiting for its moment in the lather. At this rate I may never use it, but my son may.

O.H.

I doubt they will discontinue it any time soon. It is a relatively new model. Came to replace the discontinued 10104. Exactly the same knot, but the handle develops multiple cracks in a couple of months. 10108 is the cheapest professional model. It is even cheaper than 10049.

I was stupid enough to buy 3 pcs of 10108 at 4.90 EUR a couple of years ago. One found its way to the bin after 2 months. The other I sold to a colleague of mine. #3 is in one of my drawers still.

Exactly the same knot, but the handle develops multiple cracks in a couple of months. 10108 is the cheapest professional model. It is even cheaper than 10049.

So you think we can expect our 10108 handles to crack, Ivan?

That sucks. I really like this handle!

So you think we can expect our 10108 handles to crack, Ivan?

That sucks. I really like this handle!
No. I think the handle on the 10108 has been developed exactly because of the problems with the 10104. No cracking is expected on 10108.

The new handle is too ornamental to my taste. Not a big fan of the 10049/10048 etc. handle, but it is a bit better for me. BTW, I hate the mirror finish on 10048, 10083 and such.

:thumbsup: I already did exactly that. I have a drawer with a backup 10108, 49 and 10065 sitting in it...In a world where (real) MWF has gone the way of the dodo, you can't be too careful.
I did the same. For under $10 + shipping it’s cheap insurance.

Ah, Omega boars! I love ‘em. If you are a wet shaver of a certain vintage (i.e. before the introduction of synthetics that actually work) then there’s a pretty good chance that your first “proper” brush was an Omega.

Me, I started with Omegas and went all around the houses in terms of brush choices. These days, I am back to where I started. Yes, I have a few brushes in rotation, but Omegas probably get more face time than anything else. Turns out, the things that make them attractive for beginners are still attractive to me today:
  • They're Cheap (I can get a basic model for less than 5 Imperial Credits)
  • They're Cheerful (Look at those jaunty colours!)
  • Once broken in, they’re a joy to use and perform like champions.
Yes, other makers offer fancier handles, or more carefully graded knots, but for me a good Omega really hits the spot. I am a face latherer. I like a bit of gentle, exfoliating scrub and an easy splay that doesn’t stray into floppy territory. Omega’s lightly bleached knots, with a range of “tops” throughout the loft, seem to provide just what I look for. Sure, sometimes you get a rogue, spiky bristle that needs to be taken out with pair of nail scissors, but I’m a big boy and I can cope with that. The fact that they are not as uniform as other brushes is part of the charm.

But which model to choose? There are some well known models that get a lot of love. Take for example, the 10065 – let’s call it the “Baby Boar”. The knot size makes the 10065 a great choice for face lathering
but that handle has always bothered me a little. For someone with tendon issues in their hands, its shape isn’t the most comfortable thing in the world. I like my 10065 and wouldn’t be without one (I have spares, just in case) but something that’s more substantial and comfortable for my hands is welcome.

How about the 10049 Pro? This model is the standard “Big Boar” of the Omega line up. It’s true that I like big boars (and I cannot lie). There are no problems with handle comfort here. Nevertheless, I must admit that sometimes - just sometimes - the 49 can feel a bit like overkill as a face lathering brush. If you don’t mind getting lather all over the bathroom it’s great fun, but unless you regularly perform a 6 pass shave, it’s probably bigger than you truly need.

If only there was a happy medium between the two. Well, the other night I reached into the back of a drawer and pulled out an Omega box containing a brush I had purchased some time ago and then, for whatever reason, left untouched. I have been breaking it in for a couple of days and guys, I think this might be “the one” for face lathering.

It’s not too small, it’s not too big. In fact, it’s “just right”. I think that the goldilocks Omega boar for face lathering is the Omega 10108!

It's a model I rarely see people using or talking about, but that big, comfy handle combined with a short (55mm) yet wide knot provides all the characteristics I look for. In use, the overall dimensions remind me a lot of the Zenith B03-A26, a much-loved brush, but whereas that brush has almost too much backbone and knot density for a masher like me, the Omega knot splays easily and gently, with just enough resistance to provide that pleasant level of scrub. Furthermore, because of its shorter loft compared to the 49, with the 10108 you can hit the sweet-spot of splay / scrub without having bristles spread out so wide that you are in danger of swamping your face and lathering the inside of your ears or nose by mistake!

So, gentlemen, my recommendation is that if you are boar fan and you like to face lather, then the next time you are looking for something cheap to bump up an order and qualify for free shipping, throw an Omega 10108 in your cart and give it a try. I think you will be glad that you did! Me, I am going to acquire another one and stash it away
just in case.

View attachment 1682096

(I apologise for the crappy, backlit photo. It's either that or block the light by standing in front of it).
Excellent post. Thank you

Top Bottom