What's new

Mawashi's search for the perfect piglet.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for the perfect piglet, a small/medium boar brush.
Having tried my buddy's 13522 I thought it great but a little too small, with a knot that's just 21mm / 46mm.

Now I've gotten great, no... Make that super! advice from many of you like Nav, life2short71 etc etc and I've sort of nailed my choices to a few juicy ones.

A 11126, it has a great handle, the right density 24mm but it's a tad tall at 55mm

The 11574 looks fantastic but isn't available via connaught.

40033 is a very interesting brush that seems to have great reviews too. The fact that guys like Jim and other veterans of the board love it says a lot.

10051 is the one I want to pair with the 11126 as it has the same knot as the 40033 but with an easier to use handle.

Other brushes worth a look are the 81151 n 11047. I did not include semogue brushes as I'm looking for a densely packed brush with a loft around 50mm or slightly more. Basically a larger version of the 13522 :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mawashi

PM me your address. I have a 11137 that is just breaking in. I have never used it for a shave, only palm lathering to break it in. I had one previously for years. It's a dense, scrubby knot that does not feel floppy despite being over 50mm in height. I was planning to sell or PIF it later this week anyway.

I'll send it to you gratis. Gives you another data point if nothing else.

i dont know how all you guys remember the omegas by number. i need pictures for them. i’m lost trying to follow OP but i’m curious cause i started to branch out to more boars than my 100098.

I have a question for the gurus on this post and the OP, what purpose does a smaller knot serve?

I have one each of boar, badger and synth. My boar is the 10098 Pro which is a substantial boar brush and my most favorite.

My badger is a 24mm/53mm pure badger from WCS that is rather large and dense as well. It is my second favorite, very close to the Omega. I am looking for a bigger, denser badger with more backbone but it’s not a necessity.

My synth is a 24mm/50mm from WCS and is small but dense and my least favorite. I only keep it for a back up and it works great with my tubes of CO Bigelow. That is it’s only purpose. It just feels too small.

Thanks and happy shaves.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

I have a question for the gurus on this post and the OP, what purpose does a smaller knot serve?

I have one each of boar, badger and synth. My boar is the 10098 Pro which is a substantial boar brush and my most favorite.

My badger is a 24mm/53mm pure badger from WCS that is rather large and dense as well. It is my second favorite, very close to the Omega. I am looking for a bigger, denser badger with more backbone but it’s not a necessity.

My synth is a 24mm/50mm from WCS and is small but dense and my least favorite. I only keep it for a back up and it works great with my tubes of CO Bigelow. That is it’s only purpose. It just feels too small.

Thanks and happy shaves.

Rather than going into small knots, I'll give my 2¢ in terms of brush knots in general.

The knot size determines the amount of lather it can produce, a larger knot can make more and require more soap. Depending upon the density of the knot, the backbone can vary but generally a large knot will have a stronger backbone.

Loft height affects how floppy a brush can get, too high a loft / knot diameter and the brush will be floppy. Imo anything more than 2.3 will be floppy and anything less than 2 can be very dense and provide plenty of backbone and potentially stitch.

To me a 24mm knot should give me the right amount of lather with a loft around 48-54mm to give me just the right backbone with soft tips.

Look no further. The Zenith 507 Manchurian is your brush, sir.

Thanks naughtilus,

I shall research that right now lol.

It sucks that Zenith isn't available via connaught but I'll check it out for sure, thanks!

Warmest regards,

Mawashi

Hey guys,

I'm looking for the perfect piglet, a small/medium boar brush.
Having tried my buddy's 13522 I thought it great but a little too small, with a knot that's just 21mm / 46mm.

Now I've gotten great, no... Make that super! advice from many of you like Nav, life2short71 etc etc and I've sort of nailed my choices to a few juicy ones.

A 11126, it has a great handle, the right density 24mm but it's a tad tall at 55mm

The 11574 looks fantastic but isn't available via connaught.

40033 is a very interesting brush that seems to have great reviews too. The fact that guys like Jim and other veterans of the board love it says a lot.

10051 is the one I want to pair with the 11126 as it has the same knot as the 40033 but with an easier to use handle.

Other brushes worth a look are the 81151 n 11047. I did not include semogue brushes as I'm looking for a densely packed brush with a loft around 50mm or slightly more. Basically a larger version of the 13522 :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mawashi

Well, I would not comment because I am not into brushes, but the 11047 mixed boar and badger is one I have used many times and continue to consider it to be a very satisfying shave tool. It's kept it's backbone and I can feel the combination bristle and hair now after several months of use.

Well, I would not comment because I am not into brushes, but the 11047 mixed boar and badger is one I have used many times and continue to consider it to be a very satisfying shave tool. It's kept it's backbone and I can feel the combination bristle and hair now after several months of use.

This may be one I have to look into. Thank you.

The knot size determines the amount of lather it can produce, a larger knot can make more and require more soap.
I use all of my soaps as sticks, and personally don't see this correlation between knot size and soap usage. I have tried brushes that were real soap hogs though, SOC.

I use all of my soaps as sticks, and personally don't see this correlation between knot size and soap usage. I have tried brushes that were real soap hogs though, SOC.

A 10098, 10048, 80, 83 or 106 are really lather hogs especially for bowl lathering. Even my 49 eats soaps for breakfast and makes so much lather 3/4 is wasted which is why I rather have a small/medium brush that doesn't waste that much soap.

Buddy, it was one of your posts that made me consider the 11047 :).

Top Bottom