What's new

Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

You sure wore the new off em.

Rofl!
Mind you I didn't go to town with them, I just used them like I would a shower brush. Not vigorous, just regular shower scrubbing.
I suppose I could really mash and scrub the heads but this is more than sufficient to break em in well :).

The 49 has become a giant mushmellow and the loft width is so large it nearly covers the mouth of a Proraso tub.
I'm now somewhat hesitate to lather with it knowing just how much soap this thing will eat up lol.

The 104 has soften up considerably too. It felt like nylon fishing string initially but now its on par with the 49 after it's 2nd session

It has a great backbone and with its shorter loft its a much more precise a brush compared to the 49 and surely a 48.

I'm going to keep the 104 for when I need the lather for my straights. I'll likely break it in more as its still a little too skirtchy to me but a just £5.75 it's an absolute steal!

In my understanding, I find the recent boar brushes from omega much softer than a couple of years ago. Could this be a reason for the fast break in, I don't know, but I guess...

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Split hairs are the result of many wet/dry cycles. That's when they really break in and feel soft.

I'm just seeing a mashed and widened loft, are the bristles actually splitting? Doing it with patience will be rewarded with a truly fine lather and shave.

Final update:

After the 3rd and perhaps final scrub they now look like fuzzy mushrooms lol!
Loft width for the 10049 is 82.5mm and 72.5mm for the 10104.

They look large enough to be car wash brushes!
View attachment 972855 View attachment 972851 View attachment 972852 View attachment 972853

For now I'll bid my beautiful Italian ladies a fond farewell.
Addio le mie belle signore Italiane.

I am amazed! I 've never seen a new Omega in such a state so quickly. Bristles flying out at 90 degrees out of an Omega knot?! That's rare even with a Semogue! Myself i enjoy the break-in process, i find it's part of the boar charm. But, if i ever get a very stubborn brush, i may try your method, although i won't go as far as you did. I prefer my brushes to keep their original shape, at least as much as this is reasonable...

In my understanding, I find the recent boar brushes from omega much softer than a couple of years ago. Could this be a reason for the fast break in, I don't know, but I guess...

These are my only omegas so I can comment about older brushes but it could be the case.

Split hairs are the result of many wet/dry cycles. That's when they really break in and feel soft.

I'm just seeing a mashed and widened loft, are the bristles actually splitting? Doing it with patience will be rewarded with a truly fine lather and shave.

Forgive the bad photography but most except the hardest bristles have split if you enlarged the first photo you can see that the tips have broken into 3s.
The last series of pics might not show the splits clearly as the brushes were still somewhat damp.
This is slightly better a pic of the tips.
IMG_20190417_075712.jpg

Both feel very nice and lather beautifully.

I am amazed! I 've never seen a new Omega in such a state so quickly. Bristles flying out at 90 degrees out of an Omega knot?! That's rare even with a Semogue! Myself i enjoy the break-in process, i find it's part of the boar charm. But, if i ever get a very stubborn brush, i may try your method, although i won't go as far as you did. I prefer my brushes to keep their original shape, at least as much as this is reasonable...

I completely get your point. Boar hair is amazing the 3rd update showed the hairs in full bloom and slightly damp, once its dried it looks like this.
IMG_20190417_080309.jpg

I was skeptical that it would work, in fact I'm surprised it worked so well but it has.

Hi All,

Having recently gotten a couple of Omega boars and finding the usual breaking in method and time necessary a bit of a pain I thought of trying a different approach.
Part 1
The Italian boar appreciation thread (Omega, Zenith, Mondial, Koh-I-Noor, ABC, etc)

Part 2
Having found some success with palm lathering I thought I'll take it a step further with the omega 13522.
The before and after:View attachment 972266 View attachment 972267

The method... Wet the head of brush, shook off some water, 20 sec loading on a plain old shower soap and finally I just used the brush to lather soap like a bath sponge.
That's it, 30 shaves or more worth of breaking was done in 15 mins.

While lathering and using the brush like a shower sponge I could feel the brush getting softer just a couple of mins in.

Having finished my boar brush shower scrub, I had a shave with this freshly broken in brush.

I didn't expect the shorter 55mm loft / 26mm base to be as pillow soft as my synthetic Bruce, but it was a really nice. Just the right blend of backbone, softness and skirtch which is like a mild exfoliating scrub.
The 49 beats the 104 for overall comfort and for bowl lathering but it's a soap hog and eats soap like nothing.

The 104 is the shorter, tougher brother who makes lather easier, if you want a big brush that whips up lather fast and exfoliates some the 10104 is a great brush.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Would be believe I’ve never had the need to break in a brush? I figure it’s my water

I tried @mawashi 's technique today in the shower with my new SOC and I could definitely feel it soften up a bit. I'll see how she looks after she dries for a day. Was definitely an interesting experiment. I did avoid lathering certain unsightly areas lol.

I tried @mawashi 's technique today in the shower with my new SOC and I could definitely feel it soften up a bit. I'll see how she looks after she dries for a day. Was definitely an interesting experiment. I did avoid lathering certain unsightly areas lol.

Have to let it soften up a bit more before tackling those areas. ;)

@mawashi revolutionized wetshaving as we knew it. And also bathing. :a29:

Mawashi, you must find a name for this technique, so that it passes rightfully in the history of wetshaving. "Boarbathing", maybe?

I have a vintage brush that is being really stubborn about breaking in. I will have to give this a go.

As a bonus, I will be eating up SWMBO’s “milk soap” so that we can get back to my Stirling bath soap!

:a51:

I humbly bow to all of you for your efforts in testing my experimental method and it shall hence forth be just called MBBM (Mawashi's Boar Busting Method) lol! Said method won't work on horse hair though... Boy those buggers are tough lol!

And FYI my boars never went below the belt or around certain less slightly areas too lol.

I humbly bow to all of you for your efforts in testing my experimental method and it shall hence forth be just called MBBM (Mawashi's Boar Busting Method) lol! Said method won't work on horse hair though... Boy those buggers are tough lol!

And FYI my boars never went below the belt or around certain less slightly areas too lol.

Just out by popular demand, Mawashi's Privates Lathering Technique. It's sure to please. :)

Just out by popular demand, Mawashi's Privates Lathering Technique. It's sure to please. :)

Chin-chin to you buddy!

Cheers to the Brotherhood of Brush Busters (BBB) lol!

Disclaimer:
Said method should only be used for boars, an encounter with a stubborn horse left me with red patches on my chest n arms and tangled up the hairs... Sigh.

Also those with more sensitive skin should use their palms or feet for those less ticklish rofl!

Happy shaves!

Mawashi

Perhaps they changed something.

I started using boars last year. The first two were bad. All the negative traits in boar brushes could be found in those two.

The subsequent three I bought were usable out of the box. No need for breaking in.

Perhaps they changed something.

I started using boars last year. The first two were bad. All the negative traits in boar brushes could be found in those two.

The subsequent three I bought were usable out of the box. No need for breaking in.

What were those issues and which brushes did you get?

Top Bottom