What's new

Mawashi Patented 15 min Boar Busting Method lol.

Hi All,

Having recently gotten a couple of Omega boars and finding the usual breaking in method and time necessary a bit of a pain I thought of trying a different approach.
Part 1
The Italian boar appreciation thread (Omega, Zenith, Mondial, Koh-I-Noor, ABC, etc)

Part 2
Having found some success with palm lathering I thought I'll take it a step further with the omega 13522.
The before and after:
IMG_20190414_152558.jpg
IMG_20190414_160249.jpg

The method... Wet the head of brush, shook off some water, 20 sec loading on a plain old shower soap and finally I just used the brush to lather soap like a bath sponge.
That's it, 30 shaves or more worth of breaking was done in 15 mins.

While lathering and using the brush like a shower sponge I could feel the brush getting softer just a couple of mins in.

Having finished my boar brush shower scrub, I had a shave with this freshly broken in brush.

I didn't expect the shorter 55mm loft / 26mm base to be as pillow soft as my synthetic Bruce, but it was a really nice. Just the right blend of backbone, softness and skirtch which is like a mild exfoliating scrub.
The 49 beats the 104 for overall comfort and for bowl lathering but it's a soap hog and eats soap like nothing.

The 104 is the shorter, tougher brother who makes lather easier, if you want a big brush that whips up lather fast and exfoliates some the 10104 is a great brush.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Nice! If I ever see that on the sales forum though, I’ll know where it’s been ;)

Wouldn't you like to know lol.

But seriously, in about 30 mins I have 2 great broken in brushes that I can swap between depending which I prefer without going through weeks of breaking in.
IMG_20190414_205130.jpg

Happy shaves!

A pretty decent break in method, good job.

I've been eyeing the 10104 as well, and I think your write up might just be what I needed to place the order! :)

A pretty decent break in method, good job.

I've been eyeing the 10104 as well, and I think your write up might just be what I needed to place the order! :)

I hope its helpful, between the 10104 n 10049, the 10104 is a bit tougher and more skirtchy but if exfoliating is what you want your brush to do while lathering it'll surely work great and a shorter 55mm loft the 104 is more precise than the 49.

Good luck!

I hope its helpful, between the 10104 n 10049, the 10104 is a bit tougher and more skirtchy but if exfoliating is what you want your brush to do while lathering it'll surely work great and a shorter 55mm loft the 104 is more precise than the 49.

Good luck!

You're right, the combination of a 26mm & 55mm loft seems like a good combination, and yes I am after something a bit more scrubby and exfoliating. From your description it sounds like it eats a lot less soap than the 49 which seems like another positive.

You're right, the combination of a 26mm & 55mm loft seems like a good combination, and yes I am after something a bit more scrubby and exfoliating. From your description it sounds like it eats a lot less soap than the 49 which seems like another positive.

It's a big brush still and will readily go through soap quite easily lol.

I'm getting the 11126 next as a medium brush is really all I need.

It's a big brush still and will readily go through soap quite easily lol.

I'm getting the 11126 next as a medium brush is really all I need.

I think the Omega brush I have, the 80265 has the same knot as the 11126 (24mm knot/55mm loft banded/unbleached) but with a fancier handle. It's a superb knot, and it's most used brush by quite some distance. Just scrubby enough and holds enough lather for 3 passes without much bother.

Hi All,

The method... Wet the head of brush, shook off some water, 20 sec loading on a plain old shower soap and finally I just used the brush to lather soap like a bath sponge.
That's it, 30 shaves or more worth of breaking was done in 15 mins.

While lathering and using the brush like a shower sponge I could feel the brush getting softer just a couple of mins in.

First, congratulations for finding a new method, however, i can't follow after a certain point. So you load 20 seconds on a normal puck of bath soap. So far so good. The you say "i just used the brush to lather soap like a bath sponge". This is where i lost you.
1) I assume you mean you lathered shaving soap at this point?
2) What do you mean by "lathering like a bath sponge"? You mean you kept the bristles together and rubbed them on the shaving soap for 15 minutes?

First, congratulations for finding a new method, however, i can't follow after a certain point. So you load 20 seconds on a normal puck of bath soap. So far so good. The you say "i just used the brush to lather soap like a bath sponge". This is where i lost you.
1) I assume you mean you lathered shaving soap at this point?
2) What do you mean by "lathering like a bath sponge"? You mean you kept the bristles together and rubbed them on the shaving soap for 15 minutes?

Sorry for not being clearer.

I used the brush like it was a shower sponge.. I loaded plain shower soap for 20s or so then scrubbed all over while showering. I'll reload more soap if needed. No shaving soap just shower soap or gel is fine.

Within a few mins I can feel it getting softer as I'm lathering my arms and chest. The trick is to scrub not paint. Apply enough force and draw circles while lathering. It took perhaps 3 loads and 12 mins before I got it to feel they way I'll like it.

The trick is not to think of it as a shaving brush but a shower brush. Use the brush like a shower sponge/brush and u'll break it in super fast and cos its against natural skin the breaking in is really good.

Last edited:
I think the Omega brush I have, the 80265 has the same knot as the 11126 (24mm knot/55mm loft banded/unbleached) but with a fancier handle. It's a superb knot, and it's most used brush by quite some distance. Just scrubby enough and holds enough lather for 3 passes without much bother.

Ah very nice info thx zoidberg!

Only issue is that connaughtshaving doesn't have it and I am really happy with the shipping of connaught, £3 for shipping from the UK is fantastic. The other brushes are the 81 and 80280, 80230 false aluminium handles.
OMEGA Shaving Brushes

For about $11.80 the 11126 is really appealing. I think I'll wait till the boxing day sales kick in to get more stuff from the UK like the piccolo the 11125, 13522 and some soap lol.

The other brush is the 10104.

It has the same knot as the 49 but has a shorter loft. It's still a big brush and if you don't need a full face/neck lather the 48/49/104 are a bit too large for most.

Imo these pro series brushes are for people with a full growth of hair like beards. If you don't have a beard and or are just getting rid of stubble a small to medium brush will suffice.

Cheers

2nd update.

After another shower scrubbing session the brushes have really blossomed.
IMG_20190415_215818.jpg

The 104 is as soft n comfy as the 49 after it's 1st session while the 49 has gotten even more pillowy soft than before.

The loft now measures 7cm wide for the 104 and about 8cm for the 49.

Between the 2 I prefer the 104... Surprise surprise lol.
The 49 is wonderfully pillowy and can pretty much lather like a cloud but, it's just too much for me, as a matter of fact both are more brush than I'll ever need.

I'll shower/scrub these brushes a final time to see how much more I can break em in but I'll most likely be returning to my old faithful Vie Long (Horsey) lol.

Sorry for not being clearer.

I used the brush like it was a shower sponge.. I loaded plain shower soap for 20s or so then scrubbed all over while showering. I'll reload more soap if needed. No shaving soap just shower soap or gel is fine.

Within a few mins I can feel it getting softer as I'm lathering my arms and chest. The trick is to scrub not paint. Apply enough force and draw circles while lathering. It took perhaps 3 loads and 12 mins before I got it to feel they way I'll like it.

The trick is not to think of it as a shaving brush but a shower brush. Use the brush like a shower sponge/brush and u'll break it in super fast and cos its against natural skin the breaking in is really good.

Oh! Now i understood! I would have never imagined this method! But it looks like it works! Good to know! Thank you!

Final update:

After the 3rd and perhaps final scrub they now look like fuzzy mushrooms lol!
Loft width for the 10049 is 82.5mm and 72.5mm for the 10104.

They look large enough to be car wash brushes!
IMG_20190416_214044.jpg
IMG_20190416_213707.jpg
IMG_20190416_213727.jpg
IMG_20190416_213851.jpg

For now I'll bid my beautiful Italian ladies a fond farewell.
Addio le mie belle signore Italiane.

Attachments

• IMG_20190416_213859.jpg
    IMG_20190416_213859.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Top Bottom