What's new

MARTIN DE CANDRE - UH, IT'S ALRIGHT, BUT....

I keep buying "out there" scents that are kind of crazy and the result is I can't use them too many days in a row because their scent is just too much. MdC on the other hand, I can use it every day as the two scents I own (fougere and agrumes) are light and the kind of scents I can't seem to ever not be in the mood to use. I'm going to have to add Rose to my collection one day.

I've been traveling a lot lately and miss having MdC on the road with me. I scooped some out into a plastic tub and pressed it in with my hand. I now have enough MdC in my travel kit to last me months and it barely made a dent in my glass tub.

Trouble with how much soap you use depends On if you have hard or soft water! As that is important, please mention it in posts.

I am a minimalist by nature. I have 3 croaps in my rotation with a PdP just sitting in my cabinet unused. Once the 3 softies are toast I will probably bite the bullet and purchase a full tub of MdC. The cost is all up front and based on the fact that you get a full 200gr of soap and my first soap purchase 110gr puck of DR Harris lasted over 3 years, the MdC should get me at least 5 or more years of shaves. Watching that video sealed the deal, the guy barely grazes the puck and gets a solid 3 pass load.
I am in my mid fifties so it will not take too many purchases to reach the end of my shave cycle. Heck, they may end up chucking in the unused MdC tub into my casket, wouldn't be surprised to get a decade of use as my largest brush is 24mm.
Edit: Of course the performance would have to be on par with the B&M and M&M soaps I am currently using.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Trouble with how much soap you use depends On if you have hard or soft water! As that is important, please mention it in posts.
So true. I just had a softener installed and I can see there is going to be a learning curve.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Anyone bought from the English Shaving Company? Their prices shipped to North America seems unbeatable, $65CDN for MDC shipped.

I don't know about Canada, and it was almost 2 years ago, but my last order from France to NY was for 2 jars and it was $98 including shipping. I assume ordering multiple jars does good things to the shipping cost.

It is cheaper to buy from English Shaving Company than buying in France or at least in Paris. I paid significantly more than I could have paid online at ESC. I was at least able to smell all the MdC scents in Paris, which was nice.

Anyone bought from the English Shaving Company? Their prices shipped to North America seems unbeatable, $65CDN for MDC shipped.
TESC is my one-stop-shop for all things for grooming. They've earned my business fair and square. My MdC Rose came from them.

Ordered 200g Original direct from MdC last month. $61.93 with shipping, arrived in 7 days to Colorado.

4 shaves, now I see what the hype is about. Short load, lather explodes, slick as snot. Scent is minimal. If not the best soap I've used, it is in the top couple.

So, I started this thread over two months ago, and since then, I have used MdC about 90% of the time. While I still find the scent to be just alright, there is no denying the quality of this soap. It loads quicker than anything I have ever used and the lather is always consistently dense and slick. This soap is much better than my first impression.

I ordered a soap recently named "Sampsons" and I am waiting for it to arrive. It is made in America and cost 1/3rd as much as MdC and, yet, has virtually the same ingredients. If I remember correctly, it flip-flops the amounts of two ingredients - i.e. water and coconut oil - but it is almost identical otherwise. I will report back as soon as I have used it at least half a dozen times.

Lesson learned: First impressions are not always lasting ones. :)

Cheers!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Having been 3017ing soaps since late 2012, I have grown to understand that it takes 3-4 weeks for me to get a good understanding of how a soap works for me (i.e. my water and my lathering methods).

I’ve had Fougere for years. Have not made any dent in the jar. Have given some away in the past. There’s no way I’ll use all of this.

Since it’s oblivious to water hardness, I’ve been bringing it with me on work travel. Never fails!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lesson learned: First impressions are not always lasting ones. :)

Cheers!

I would just like to point back to post #42 in this thread - my response to you. :D:D:D

All in good fun of course, as I said, not all soaps work for everyone - but glad to read you somewhat came around on this one. Even better that you came back and mentioned it in the same thread.

Also, if you're still on a hunt for a bit less expensive but also very good (French) soap, give PdP a try. Their "63" scent wasn't the right one for me, but performance is pretty good and it's significantly cheaper than MdC (no idea how long it lasts as I have given mine away to a good friend).

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I recently got a sample of the MDC Vetiver. I think it's a really good soap. To me it's probably a better value than the aritsan soaps as there is very little worry about long rotation times or shelf life as opposed to the artisan stuff. Feel bad for those that bought all the flavors of the artisan stuff and now are worried about spoilage.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Having been 3017ing soaps since late 2012, I have grown to understand that it takes 3-4 weeks for me to get a good understanding of how a soap works for me (i.e. my water and my lathering methods).
I agree with that. The best shaves come from keeping the things the same for a period of time, same razor, blade, brush and soap. Sadly my shaves would be better had I more patience in that regard. Each day is pretty much spin the wheel and shave with what comes up. But when I've disciplined myself for any length of time, improvements certainly came.

I’m tempted to get the Citrus one as my next soap. I had a sample of Fougere a few years ago and while I liked the lather, the scent turned me off, and I had heard then that Original was just a less strong Fougere.

Top Bottom