What's new

MARTIN DE CANDRE - UH, IT'S ALRIGHT, BUT....

I got 167 shaves out of a jar. I found it to be the most consistent soap I have in terms of lathering and closeness of shave - the actual shave results. The downside is there's no skin conditioning. I don't have naturally dry skin so that is not as big a deal for me as it is for some of you.

Scent preference is a very subjective thing. I really, really enjoyed the fougere scent. It is one of my favorites overall. MDC did a great job on that sent.

I am currently working on a second jar (regular scent) in my rotation. It is one that my brother sent to me that he had tried and found that he didn't really care for it. As always, your mileage may vary.

I got 167 shaves out of a jar. I found it to be the most consistent soap I have in terms of lathering and closeness of shave - the actual shave results. The downside is there's no skin conditioning. I don't have naturally dry skin so that is not as big a deal for me as it is for some of you.

Scent preference is a very subjective thing. I really, really enjoyed the fougere scent. It is one of my favorites overall. MDC did a great job on that sent.

I am currently working on a second jar (regular scent) in my rotation. It is one that my brother sent to me that he had tried and found that he didn't really care for it. As always, your mileage may vary.

I do not mind paying high prices as long as the quality of the soap warrants the price. I do not like large tubs like MDC as I have so many soaps in my collection that it would take me decades to finish a tub. Also, I relish the post shave conditioning of my better soaps, so I would not pay that kind of money for a soap that lacks that property, only to have to use post shave balms.

My Fougere Le Bol En Bois will be under the Christmas tree, meanwhile it's still Vetiver and Original, and what's left of my Fougere jar. My wife loves me.

Never used MDC never will. That stuff is for fancy guys that have money to burn. My guess is that you are paying more for "premium" essential oils than performance. Your average tallow soap is great, no need to pay 70$.
Don't mind me... just quoting my older self. Well MDC is great after all, I would be happy to pay another 70$ for a jar (around 50 euros in my case) We live and we learn.

People come in this shaving thing to save money, and buying MdC $70 soaps is clearly the way to go once you do the math. Tons of cash saved right there. Especially when you buy 3, that's 3 times the savings at $210 for 3 bars of soap.

I just checked out with three jars of MdC Original on their web site. The total with shipping came to US$176.09 with today’s exchange rate, which is $33.91 less than you claimed in your post from over two years ago.

I’m not telling anyone what soaps not to spend his money on. I’m always puzzled, though, when people like you do just that.

DRH is a great soap, to be sure, but so is MdC. And MdC lasts longer for me. A lot longer…

MDC lathers so easily and lasts FOREVER

It does dry my face a bit

oh, and I love the scents.
MdC leaves your face a bit dry!

I'm not questioning your experience but this is the first time (in my limited experience) I heard about MdC.

I've been intrigued by these soaps and came close to ordering a Vetiver or Rose.

Only soap that leaves my face a bit dry is Arko, but I didn't imagined MdC to do so.

MdC leaves your face a bit dry!

I'm not questioning your experience but this is the first time (in my limited experience) I heard about MdC.

I've been intrigued by these soaps and came close to ordering a Vetiver or Rose.

Only soap that leaves my face a bit dry is Arko, but I didn't imagined MdC to do so.
I can only speak for me. I have read that MdC can be drying. It is not drying for me. Prior to MdC I only used Tallow soaps and my scaled down selection of MWF, Tabac, DR Harris and Cella yielded excellent results. But MdC has become my favorite and gets used for most of my shaves. A huge difference for me is the “clean” feel from this soap. If you like to finish a lot of soaps in a year stay away, this soap lasts. The picture below is of the 130 g size after 100 three pass shaves.
7EB9CCBA-649A-4F95-AA1F-1D2591B9D883.jpeg

I had a really good shave with MdC today. The samples never impressed me much but I bought a small tub always. The Original is a great scent and I wanted a French soap to go with my French razors and brushes.

With the samples I put the whole lot into a lather bowl and lathered on top of the soap. I don’t think that I ever got the best from the soap this way. Today I scraped a few shavings into a lather bowl and loaded up. It didn’t take much soap to make a ton of lather. As per @Steve56 ‘s advise, I kept adding water. This soap can take a ton of water! The extra hydration made a world of difference. I can now see why people rate MdC so highly. When properly hydrated it’s very slick. Apart from quick, abundant lather and the ability to take on lots of water I was struck by how easily and cleanly this soap rinses.

Last edited:
Love MDC the soaps are excellent all have a beautiful fresh scent a bit expensive at first but it last forever got 200 shaves out of my previous jar of fougere allong with Saponificio varesino my favourite soaps

I just can’t spend that kind of money on soap, that’s just nuts. I can afford it but that foolishness.

If it’s “foolish“ to buy MdC, then we definitely need to come up with a more forceful word for Razorock and other soft artisan soaps, which have not been cured like MdC.

Hard to say MdC is better than most other soaps and creams. Stearic acid is stearic acid. It lasts two months for me, not that different from a regular triple-milled soap, the kind that’s hard enough to be called a you-know-what. . .

1682119935286.gif

Top Bottom