What's new

Simple soaps vs complex soaps- which do you prefer and why?

I think that the coarseness of one's beard and skin sensitivity is the deciding factor.

I have copper wire growing out of my face, so I have always chased the thick protective products. The new oil formulations are a bonus for the most part, but some get gross and gooey.
Exactly, I could get away with shaving with shampoo or hand soap when I was 16. Not the case anymore.

I think that all development of products is good for the experience and the competition. But it's always nice to go back in time and bring back nostalgic memories. That's why I make sure I buy enough of the cheap soaps that one day will develop a new formula.

It's bit like if I compare the "commodore 64" (if anyone remember the computer) with Playstation 5. I would probably choose the PS5 in most cases, but it's so fun to bring out the good old games every now and then

Last edited:
I think that all development of products is good for the experience and the competition. But it's always nice to go back in time and bring back nostalgic memories. That's why I make sure I buy enough of the cheap soaps that one day will develop a new formula.

It's bit like if I compare the "commodore 64" (if anyone remember the computer) with Playstation 5. I would probably choose the PS5 in most cases, but it's so fun to bring out the good old games every now and then
I know what you mean... The first car I ever drove was a piece of **** 1988 Honda. It was a very special feeling that'll I'll never forget just because it was my first and will always, for reasons of nostalgia and having had so many adventures in it, appreciate that year and model.

Now, would I recommend a normal person, with no such sentiment, go out and buy an 88 Honda? No.

The starting point in understanding why soaps have more than 8 ingredients is to understand what every ingredient does, how it contributes to the final product and what are the general requirements for a soap. Hint, don't limit those requirements only to what you want/need from a soap, but include also what others need as well. Then, soaps have more than 8 ingredients suddenly starts to make sense.

Some will argue that complex soaps are not necessary. They do have a point, from a certain perspective. But then we can say the same about riding a bicycle versus driving a car. There is a simplicity in riding the bicycle, but they do not do things equally.
I'd take a cue from nutritionists. If you can't pronounce the ingredient, it's probably man made, and you'd need to see a good case as to why it's in there in the first place.
If you have 8 botanicals that add scent then you're already over the limit, but you probably can pronounce them.

The Comodore 64 did have one thing that it took other companies years to deal with. The sound generator chip was much better.

Top Bottom