What's new

MARTIN DE CANDRE - UH, IT'S ALRIGHT, BUT....

A4A0B24F-2AD8-48DE-A67E-443829F0FDCB.jpeg
64F1D222-B181-4A85-A167-24D18735F6C1.jpeg
Did this up with a sample of the Fougère @Earcutter was kind enough to send me.

On the one hand this lathered up like nothing I’ve touched before. The amount you need to get a 3 pass is staggering to me. Saw @McNutt’s post earlier this morning and decided I’d just load for 5-10 seconds and see what happened.

I’m a face latherer, but the sample came in a sample tub, and homie EC sent along a note telling me to flatten the whole thing into a bowl and try it like that, so I did.

This was 10 seconds max of loading, and I went back once for a few more swirls before 3rd pass and that was it.

Lathered fantastically, scent improved dramatically to me after lathering, and slickness was there. Not as much as some of my other newer soaps (B&M’s Excelsior is a favorite in this regard with my water and razor/blade favorites) but it was enough for me.

I kind of wanted to see how good of a shave I could get using as little of this as possible.

I’d go 8.5/10 on this stuff.

I have a tub of the Rose coming in tomorrow I think, and I’ll load that up like I hate it and add water as I go.

Score might go up just based on the Rose scent and how it behaves when loaded/watered like I normally would a soap.

Up above are pics of what I started with and ended with in a bowl, after a 3 pass shave, no touch ups.

View attachment 1000047 View attachment 1000049 Did this up with a sample of the Fougère @Earcutter was kind enough to send me.

On the one hand this lathered up like nothing I’ve touched before. The amount you need to get a 3 pass is staggering to me. Saw @McNutt’s post earlier this morning and decided I’d just load for 5-10 seconds and see what happened.

I’m a face latherer, but the sample came in a sample tub, and homie EC sent along a note telling me to flatten the whole thing into a bowl and try it like that, so I did.

This was 10 seconds max of loading, and I went back once for a few more swirls before 3rd pass and that was it.

Lathered fantastically, scent improved dramatically to me after lathering, and slickness was there. Not as much as some of my other newer soaps (B&M’s Excelsior is a favorite in this regard with my water and razor/blade favorites) but it was enough for me.

I kind of wanted to see how good of a shave I could get using as little of this as possible.

I’d go 8.5/10 on this stuff.

I have a tub of the Rose coming in tomorrow I think, and I’ll load that up like I hate it and add water as I go.

Score might go up just based on the Rose scent and how it behaves when loaded/watered like I normally would a soap.

Up above are pics of what I started with and ended with in a bowl, after a 3 pass shave, no touch ups.
I’m glad you enjoyed the scent more as you lathered. I really love the scent. I love the rose too, but I just find the Fougere more inviting somehow. More complex somehow.

Enjoy the journey!

You guys, I'm sort of amazed here.

I had a new brush show up today, got some badger funk. Shampooed it, then saw that bowl sitting there and figured 'why not'.

I did SIX huge lather/rinses before I gave up and just cleaned the bowl. Pic up above in my previous post where I stopped earlier. I mean, what I rinsed out of the brush each time was enough for a 5 pass shave, easy.

This is what was left after all that:

proxy.php

This is where I stopped, I couldn't load any more onto the brush.

proxy.php

proxy.php

What in the....

Love the update.

I'm bummed that I'm in an airport and won't be back home until Sunday night. I'm dying to give my MdC another go, but I didnt want to bring it in my luggage. So it's Prorasso for the next few days.

I like the handle on that brush. What is it?

Love the update.

I'm bummed that I'm in an airport and won't be back home until Sunday night. I'm dying to give my MdC another go, but I didnt want to bring it in my luggage. So it's Prorasso for the next few days.

I like the handle on that brush. What is it?

That blows. You’re going to have to live vicariously thru me!

Brush is a Spiffo. Damn good 2 band badger knot at 24mm. He does synthetics too, check him out, great stuff and reasonably priced.

proxy.php

Did it up. The Rose is nice....I'm more a fan of the weird B&M smells, but my wife is going to LOVE this and that always makes me want to use it.

Did the 50g tub, mostly because there's almost no way I'm going to 3017 ANYTHING the rate I've been going. I have enough soap for the next 12-15 years if I stop right now, and I probably won't. This will get used occasionally when the wish for something less weird (non weird at all?) than I normally use arises.

Ludicrously small amount of soap needed to a 3 pass shave...still loaded it like I hated it, got the water ratio right about the end of the 1st pass, smooth sailing from there. I could have shaved 3 more times with what I had left on the brush.

3 pass BBS, nothing but awesome.

I see why you guys love it. Thanks for letting me play.

I bought two other great soaps at the same time I got my two MdC soaps. Every time I think I'm going to reach for one of the others, I end up grabbing one of the MdCs. Five days straight of MdC now, and this is from someone who likes to change up his soap routine.

MdC is great. Really slick lather that blows up quickly with fantastic scents. The Fougere has a great masculine scent that is not overbearing at all and Agrumes has a light summer scent that I really dig. I'm going to have to get the rose soon. There's no use resisting.

\
I bought two other great soaps at the same time I got my two MdC soaps. Every time I think I'm going to reach for one of the others, I end up grabbing one of the MdCs. Five days straight of MdC now, and this is from someone who likes to change up his soap routine.

MdC is great. Really slick lather that blows up quickly with fantastic scents. The Fougere has a great masculine scent that is not overbearing at all and Agrumes has a light summer scent that I really dig. I'm going to have to get the rose soon. There's no use resisting.
I have both the Fougere and Agrumes and could not agree more. They are excellent once you dial in the right water/soap ratio. I have a tub of Grooming Department Chai Rose which I love, but once that is gone (and no longer available), I too will likely jump on the MdC Rose.

.....Five days straight of MdC now, and this is from someone who likes to change up his soap routine.....

This has been the case with me as well for several months now. I reach for MDC a lot more frequently than others (and I don't keep many soaps around, anything that doesn't make top 10 gets given away fairly quickly).

The kind of lather and protection I get from MDC is "just right" for me.

Glad you ended up liking it. :thumbsup:

1445119A-6F8C-47CF-BEC4-2A65A979A520.jpeg

Did it up again, exceptional lather and shave. I can’t imagine going thru a big tub of this; I’m about 5 shaves in on this one and it still looks brand new, I haven’t even dented it. I load soap like I hate it and this is resisting me. I sort of hate that!

Disclaimer: I do not enjoy tallow soaps.

MdC's simple formulation is a benefit in my book: it rinses cleanly and does not gunk up my skin. I gently load for 30 seconds or more with a fairly dry synthetic brush, dipping the dips a couple times while face lathering. This gives me an as-close-to-perfect amount of lather for three luxurious passes and post-shave comfort lather.

MdC Original was my favorite soap until I tried the Rose, which was my favorite soap until I got the Vetyver, which was my favorite soap until I got the Fougere, which was my favorite soap until I went back to... and on and on. My current favorite is Vetyver (I shaved with it this morning and finished up with MdC's Vetyver EdT), which alternates with Rose and Fougere given the weather. Original is the only scent not vastly superior to MdC's primary competitor in my den--Saponificio Varesino--although this is more a testament to SV than it is a knock against Original.

Having struggled with complexion issues at various points in my life, I consider MdC worth every penny.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’m 100% with @mumB_L_E All my current rotation are non-tallow and I don’t miss the goop a bit. Brushes, razors, my face, they all stay clean with MdC. MdC is a mainstay, along with the Italians, I Coloniali soap and cream, AdP, ABC, XPEC. Pre de Provence is an excellent, slick, non-tallow quad milled soap too.

@McNutt problem solved, make a shave stick from MdC. I have about 50g of fougere in an old D. R. Harris tube in the travel kit. It needs to dry and firm up for a couple of days but it works very well as a stick. MdC is also a great travel soap as coconut oil soaps will lather well in any water.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
8 months of using this jar of MdC.
I have not used any other soap or cream.
FBCF913F-51B7-4ED2-8E47-F4E0F9D983D3.jpeg

For me it’s worth every penny

I'd agree with this if it applied to products where objective performance is in plain sight. Everything here in shaving is subjective experience, anecdotes, groupthink, personal tastes...

Unless we talk Arko.
With Arko it's all goooood.
Group Think +1

8 months of using this jar of MdC.
I have not used any other soap or cream.
View attachment 1003337
For me it’s worth every penny

Marty, you need to load more!

Seriously, I can’t say enough about MdC, either. I keep about six soaps on my counter and, if one’s a MdC, I’ll be going to that soap most of the time. I never keep more than one on the counter, as I suspect I wouldn’t use anything else. I’ve got all five scented versions of MdC, and enjoy them all. I might be out of Fougere, my oldest (four years?) and favorite, about the time you finish your jar...

Top Bottom