What's new

Dr. Stamler's Soap and lather expectations?

I received a Christmas gift of Dr. Stamler's shaving soap. It's an unscented vegan shaving soap made by a retired physician who gives the profits to charity. Most of the line is focused on sensitive skin care, so there's things to like about this line of products.

I was going to post more of a detailed review of the soap, but this product has highlighted a question for me that's often on my mind, which is why do we care so much about certain qualities in a shaving product?

The soap itself is pretty rich, and gives a nice, protective glide. In that sense it works well. Rinsing it leaves my skin fairly dry, but not out of the ordinary compared to other well-liked products on the market.

I think where this soap violates my expectations is in the lather: it lathers almost more like a lotion, with a little bit of foam but not much. There's no olive oil in it, but it lathers almost like how I imagine a superfatted olive oil soap might. Loading a brush with a bit more water than I would think helps, and you can get a lather, but it's denser than I would expect and takes a bit of work.

I think the drying effect of the rinsed soap is not quite for me, but more broadly I've often wrestled with why we often have this expectation that a lather be super foamy? I'm not suggesting someone should or shouldn't expect a foamy lather, but I like it myself, even though I admit what really improves my shave has nothing to do with the bubbles. I like the cleaning element of a lathering soap or cream, so that's why I prefer those to a latherless gel or cream, but functionally I've gotten good shaves from lathering and latherless products. So when I'm faced with a product that provides good protection and glide, and is a soap, why do I still want bubbles?

For what it's worth, I've used this soap a couple of more times and it's grown on me more. It seems like it's lathered more as the puck has absorbed more water, almost like it needs to soften a bit over time. Not the water you use with the brush, but the soap puck itself.

I'm still not sure that I like it as much as my favorite creams but it does provide a nice glide and protection and has been lathering more.

This soap has grown on me more and more — the more it's been used the more the puck lathers into a nice creamy lather. Also, I'm not sure if it's related to the change in lather, but at the same time the soap seems less drying. I'm not sure why any of this is but I'm not sure I've used a soap before that has required this kind of "breaking in" period.

I would definitely buy this again, although I have a few other soaps and creams to get through so I wince a bit inside when thinking in terms of "buying more soaps and creams".

Most shaving soaps contain a significant amount of added stearic acid. This soap does not, though there is some stearic acid in the other oils, fats, waxes, etc. That makes this shaving soap behave more like a standard hand soap.

To get more lathering action, you could use one of your shaving creams as a pre-shave, then lather the Stamler soap over top of it.

Most shaving soaps contain a significant amount of added stearic acid. This soap does not, though there is some stearic acid in the other oils, fats, waxes, etc. That makes this shaving soap behave more like a standard hand soap.

To get more lathering action, you could use one of your shaving creams as a pre-shave, then lather the Stamler soap over top of it.

It seems pretty good now to me? It must have just needed to soften up a bit or something.

Top Bottom