What's new

Love of Modern GEM razors

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The problem with GEM razors is the blades. They are no where near as sharp as a good DE blade or any Artist Club style blade. That's a fact almost everyone agrees with.

Well, I'm not sure I agree. The GEM PTFE shaves me better than any DE blade has. Whether thats down to sharpness or thickness, rigidity of the blade, I'm not sure but they shave me smoother and closer.

If I move from GEM style razors, which I am contemplating, it will be to the AC format just so I can try those blades but I'm completely happy with GEM razors and the GEM PTFE blade.

Well, I'm not sure I agree. The GEM PTFE shaves me better than any DE blade has. Whether thats down to sharpness or thickness, rigidity of the blade, I'm not sure but they shave me smoother and closer.
If I move from GEM style razors, which I am contemplating, it will be to the AC format just so I can try those blades but I'm completely happy with GEM razors and the GEM PTFE blade.

Now I'm getting off topic but I find the A/C format the sharpest blades by far. With GEM blades, if I don't hand strop them first, even the PTFE blades, they are very rough to me.

Another vote for the Sabre L2. I like the solid feel of a modern stainless razor. I have some vintage GEMs, including the MMOC. No doubt they get the job done well, but to me they are lighter and less refined as compared with the L2.

Interesting that some consider GEM blades to be less sharp than DE blades. It usually takes two to three shaves for PTFE coated blades to mellow out (they are harsher for sure on the first shave). I thought this was because they are too sharp and need a few shaves to mellow and become more comfortable. That’s my experience at least.

Another vote for the Sabre L2. I like the solid feel of a modern stainless razor. I have some vintage GEMs, including the MMOC. No doubt they get the job done well, but to me they are lighter and less refined as compared with the L2.

Interesting that some consider GEM blades to be less sharp than DE blades. It usually takes two to three shaves for PTFE coated blades to mellow out (they are harsher for sure on the first shave). I thought this was because they are too sharp and need a few shaves to mellow and become more comfortable.

I agree with this reasoning. The new GEM razors are more refined and have a nice solid feel.

The blades are not too sharp and mellow out, it is they do not have smooth sharp edges. They are not ground to a precise refined edge as the DE and A/C blades are. With use they smooth out a bit.

Maybe this is why modern GEMs haven’t caught on. Having said that, after the fourth shave, these razors rock like no others.

Try stropping the blade on your hand 4 times on each side of the blade. I do that and they are smooth from the first stroke. Makes a big difference even with the Teflon coated blades.

GEM razors can be very smooth right from the first shave if you strop the blade first.
Did I say already I love my new GEM razor?

ATT G1_LaToja.JPG

IMHO, the Starling V2 is a pretty good razor. I have not encountered “sharp” edges at all and find the ergonomics similar to vintage SE razors. I’ve experienced smooth close shaves from the V2. As we always say, YMMV.

IMHO, the Starling V2 is a pretty good razor. I have not encountered “sharp” edges at all and find the ergonomics similar to vintage SE razors. I’ve experienced smooth close shaves from the V2. As we always say, YMMV.

I wish they would make it again, I would like to give it a try.

I palm strop before the first use, as well, but a few more times. Somewhere between 10 and 15.

I agree that it smoothes out the first shave considerably.

I really love this razor. Too bad the only place I can buy stainless steel blades locally is at Walgreens. Anyone know of another place.

ATT G1_Fine.JPG

Why buy locally? Conaught’s has PTFE’s at very reasonable prices, even after taking shipping into account.

That's true. I can also get S.S. blades at Amazon for a good price. I don't use the PTFE blades because I don't see any difference. Once I strop the blade they are both the same to me.

That's true. I can also get S.S. blades at Amazon for a good price. I don't use the PTFE blades because I don't see any difference. Once I strop the blade they are both the same to me.

Less than $35 from Connaught's for 200 blades shipped to your door, and speedy. No one else comes close in price.

The problem with GEM razors is the blades. They are no where near as sharp as a good DE blade or any Artist Club style blade. That's a fact almost everyone agrees with.
Now back on topic, I love my new GEM razor.
I think you’d find that most SE users would put the sharpness of a GEM PTFE SS blade up there with the very sharpest of DE blades such as Feathers. Few things shave me better than a fresh GEM blade.

So, back to topic. Which is the top performer in modern razors? I’ve got a small hankering to acquire one before SEptember.

I think you’d find that most SE users would put the sharpness of a GEM PTFE SS blade up there with the very sharpest of DE blades such as Feathers. Few things shave me better than a fresh GEM blade.

So, back to topic. Which is the top performer in modern razors? I’ve got a small hankering to acquire one before SEptember.
The Sabre Level 2 is a great razor.

This thread is about GEM razors and the only modern GEM I have used is the ATT G1 which of course I love.
Performance will be different for different people. It will depend if you like an aggressive razor or a milder one. My personal two favorites are the General for a mild shave and the ATT SE1 for slightly more aggression.

I disagree there. There is definitely less belief in the concept of modern GEMs compared with DEs. The Sabre sells very well, but every thread on modern GEMs is met with several comments like above showing how cheap and good vintage razors are. You don’t see these comments on a thread about modern DEs. It’s interesting.

To be fair, when the market was getting exposed to more expensive DE razors they did compare the prices between new(expensive) and old(cheap) you could even go on Wolfmans website whenever and buy a Wolfman without having them sold out in seconds because people weren’t used to the price point. These higher price modern GEMs are a new thing and you’re breaking into a market for many many years have been paying less than $20 for a GEM style razor, it’s going to take time for people to lay off this price talk, even now people make comments about how their old Gillette shaves as good or better than the expensive DE razors. GEM or SE razors are a niche market inside a niche market.

To be fair, when the market was getting exposed to more expensive DE razors they did compare the prices between new(expensive) and old(cheap) you could even go on Wolfmans website whenever and buy a Wolfman without having them sold out in seconds because people weren’t used to the price point. These higher price modern GEMs are a new thing and you’re breaking into a market for many many years have been paying less than $20 for a GEM style razor, it’s going to take time for people to lay off this price talk, even now people make comments about how their old Gillette shaves as good or better than the expensive DE razors. GEM or SE razors are a niche market inside a niche market.
Agree completely.
Except for the Streamline guys. They're crazy.

Top Bottom