What's new

Smoothest/best clamped gem/AC razor?

I mostly use des. I've tried ac format razors before. I remember them really not being as smooth. I tried the vector and the att x1 and they seemed to be tuggier than my high end des. Is the black land sabre a good candidate? Or any other ac or gem razor?

The Atelier Durdan La Faulx is the smoothest, most comfortable razor I have. It works well with all AC blades but IMHO is smoothest with the Kai Proguard MG. The only downside is it is a bit expensive, and the cost of shipping from France.

I had a Vector and an Asylum Rx-V2 but sold them. I also have the V3 Razorock Hawk and Hawk-A. And I have an Alpha Claymore Evolution but I'm thinking of letting it go because it is very much like the La Faulx but not quite as smooth and efficient. Of course, it also costs much less.

For DE comparison IMHO the smoothest, most comfortable are my Timeless .95 and .68, my Lambda Athena, and my Karve stainless steel Overlander. I've been through about 50 other DE's but the only other one in my collection worth mentioning is the Blackland Blackbird and Blackbird Lite. They are efficient but not as smooth and comfortable as the ones I mentioned.

Again, this is all IMHO, and as always YMMV.

The Atelier Durdan La Faulx is the smoothest, most comfortable razor I have. It works well with all AC blades but IMHO is smoothest with the Kai Proguard MG. The only downside is it is a bit expensive, and the cost of shipping from France.

I had a Vector and an Asylum Rx-V2 but sold them. I also have the V3 Razorock Hawk and Hawk-A. And I have an Alpha Claymore Evolution but I'm thinking of letting it go because it is very much like the La Faulx but not quite as smooth and efficient. Of course, it also costs much less.

For DE comparison IMHO the smoothest, most comfortable are my Timeless .95 and .68, my Lambda Athena, and my Karve stainless steel Overlander. I've been through about 50 other DE's but the only other one in my collection worth mentioning is the Blackland Blackbird and Blackbird Lite. They are efficient but not as smooth and comfortable as the ones I mentioned.

I was eyeing those! I was contemplating buying the ac version and the gem. But having mostly used des I have no frame of reference for which baseplate to purchase for them. I have the overlander and the Timeless. Both smooth shavers but my slants edge them out. I guess I just wanna see if I'm missing anything with ses.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

Our experiences are close... though I have never tried a Vector or Blackbird. I use my Claymore Evo around my nose for every shave because it gets closer than any other razor I own....It was also my first razor so it has a special place for me. I used it exclusively for my first 5+ months of wet shaving...... That said, the La Faulx might just be the best razor I've ever owned or used. I also prefer the Kai Protouch MG blades.

The Overlander didn't work for me, but I suspect or should say, I'm convinced, this is because I was forcing it to conform to my own idea of the proper shave angle and tried to shave too steep. From all accounts, it is a lovely razor. I would say, my two Athenas are at the very top of my DE razors... but I have a few others that match them: the Blutt BR-1 1.20, the Timeless Ti 0.68OC and a few others. I do love my ATT S1, but it's just a tad less efficient for me that the aforementioned razors.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Most SE razor blades are so thick that one does not need to worry about clamping. GEM, AC, Injector, they are rigid themselves, it isn't like a DE. So then you just need to find what gap/exposure and other specs you prefer.

Me? I like injectors and GEMs more. ACs are just too wide for me, I just face shave.
It was strange for me since I started with an AC razor, to try DE razors. I'd been using an AC razor for over 5 months when I tried my first DE razor since I was a teen. I only face shave too. I'm sure it's to what we become accustomed.

I need to try the GEM you sent me. I'm almost afraid to... because I might like it. <eg> You know what happens to me when I like something... I spend a fortune. ;)

Some people mentioned a lot La Faux as their best Ac razor here. But there are so many combinations inz that model : open or closed comb, 3 level of aggressivness (classic, + and ++) ?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Some people mentioned a lot La Faux as their best Ac razor here. But there are so many combinations inz that model : open or closed comb, 3 level of aggressivness (classic, + and ++) ?
I'm guessing you are already reading the La Faulx threads... There isn't an "official" one yet, but this one works:

Quite a few of us are listing our current razors other than the La Faulx and you should be able to figure out with less risk, which base plate would work for you. I have the Classic solid base plate myself and just love it. I have a complete razor in premium bronze finish and a stainless steel head with which I use a Timeless Ti Crown handle.... I brought it along with me on this 3 week Bali trip... for getting my final teeth for my total upper and lower implants I started in 2022. I could have finished them up last year in early November, but decided to avoid travel during the holidays.

The final bottom teeth have been repaired a bit and the impressions were done for the final top teeth yesterday. I should get the permanent top teeth appliance on Friday or Saturday.... Today is the Hindu Christmas, if you will, holiday, so lots of places are closed, including the dental clinic.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I mostly use des. I've tried ac format razors before. I remember them really not being as smooth. I tried the vector and the att x1 and they seemed to be tuggier than my high end des. Is the black land sabre a good candidate? Or any other ac or gem razor?
I would blame the tuginess on the blade not the razor. Have you tried Kai Mild? I was about to give up on AC format until I tried those. I thought the Feather Pro/Pro Super and Schick Prolines were mostly terrible.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I would blame the tuginess on the blade not the razor. Have you tried Kai Mild? I was about to give up on AC format until I tried those. I thought the Feather Pro/Pro Super and Schick Prolines were mostly terrible.
I just did a test of all the AC blades currently available while we were away for 3 weeks... other than the Feather ProSuper. I forgot that one somehow.

I did this test early with my first razor... the Claymore Evolution... and at that time, I preferred the Kai MG Protouch guarded blades but the Feather ProGuards were right there too.

Fast forward 2 years... and I now prefer the Kai unguarded Milds as well.... So smooth and comfortable.

This….blades make all the difference in AC razors. I tried all I can get my hands on and found the Kia Mild and Proline to be my favorites in my razors. Guarded blades are smooth but less efficient. Feathers don’t work well for me in everything except my La Faulx.

All good answers, but yes, the Sabre is that good.😎

I started my shave journey with Valet & Gem and branched out from there. The MMOC is good, but the Sabre with the + plate is extremely mild in blade feel but incredibly efficient. I like ACs, but if you want the Gem profile, you can't beat the Sabre.

My 'go to' GEM/ASR razor is the GEM Heavy Flat-Top (a.k.a. G-bar) with Personna GEM PTFE-coated stainless steel blades. Inexpensive, built like a tank, and easy to find. I picked mine up for $15 shipped. I get close comfortable shaves with that razor.

Top Bottom