What's new

Love of Modern GEM razors

I don't think they are scoffed at, I just think there are more of a demand for DE razors. I had given up on GEM razors and then got pulled back into them.

I disagree there. There is definitely less belief in the concept of modern GEMs compared with DEs. The Sabre sells very well, but every thread on modern GEMs is met with several comments like above showing how cheap and good vintage razors are. You don’t see these comments on a thread about modern DEs. It’s interesting.

I think it’s funny how expensive, well-made DEs are accepted, but expensive, well-made GEMs are scoffed at.
I don't see myself paying high dollar for DEs either. As I said, VDH TTO was my most expensive razor purchase. If I were to spend a lot of money on a razor, it would probably be an SE.

I disagree there. There is definitely less belief in the concept of modern GEMs compared with DEs. The Sabre sells very well, but every thread on modern GEMs is met with several comments like above showing how cheap and good vintage razors are. You don’t see these comments on a thread about modern DEs. It’s interesting.

I see similar statements about DE razors such as a Gillette NEW being as good as any new one.
DE shaving is definitely the more popular format. (I made a survey about it not long ago.) While it is true that a vintage razor can shave just a good as a new high price one, the newer one is usually built better, looks better, more attractive material, and can take more abuse.

Nice idea for a thread!

I have a Blackland Sabre level 2, and it’s a fantastic razor. I’ve had it now for a little over a year, and it was the second three piece machined stainless steel razor I bought. I enjoy the solid feeling of that type of razor, so it’s nice to have that option in the GEM format. I think it’s cool and futuristic looking. I guess it’s very expensive in comparison to buying a vintage razor, but obviously I felt the price point was fair (I am not someone who makes a lot of money btw, I work at an art museum).
My Sabre also arrived just over a year ago, and I too think it's a fantastic razor. I own eight other GEM razors, seven of which are vintage, and some of which are great, but I have much joy and zero regrets about purchasing the Sabre.

I think it’s funny how expensive, well-made DEs are accepted, but expensive, well-made GEMs are scoffed at.
Digression Alert
I agree with you Shane - so much so that I'd like to go you one better: However much expensive, well-made GEMs are scoffed at pales in comparison to how much an expensive, well-made Schick is scoffed at. I was pleased to hear you say in your live chat this week that a Schick format razor is in the pipeline. For me, the injector feature is a bit worse than worthless. Something along the lines of the Vector would be perfect - narrow, nimble, taking a thick, rigid, sharp blade, but shorter than the AC format from side to side.

An outsider like me can never hope to know what makes good business sense for you, or if the razor that I envision will be the one you envision, but we can all dream.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My expectations that none of the three modern versions I tried would beat out the MMOC were right. Just not interested in throwing any more $ at a fix for something ASR got so right in 1930.

I think the MMOC is hard to beat, period. I say that with lust in my heart for a Blackland Sabre too lol. I love the Sabres looks and I'd like the weight but in the end, would it shave me as well as my MMOC? I dont know. $300+CAD is a lot to spend on a razor to me.

I start fresh PTFE blades in my Bullet Tip and use it for 4 shaves, then the blade goes in my MMOC for the next six. That combination works so well for me it beggars belief. My DE's are getting dusty...

I have to agree here with Shane, I think it’s odd how much people seem to resent contemporary GEM razors. Here we have someone who wanted to start a discussion about their “Love of Modern GEM razors,” and then there are all of these misplaced comments. I think razors are highly personal things, and it’s disheartening to see that some people don’t want to give a particular type of razor any space.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm not sure I see any resentment towards modern GEM type razors. I think many scoff at GEM type razors in general. They look unusual and they're very different in use to a DE. They also far outperform any DE I've used.

After my first shave using my Bullet Tip, with a carbon blade, I really didnt like it and went back to DE's. After my first use of my MMOC I really didnt like it either and went back to DE's for several months. I kept reading and hearing of a few members speaking so highly of them that I decided to try my MMOC again. I still didnt like it. It was too much of a good thing, but I stuck with it determined to learn it. That took some time and blood was shed in the process but the pay off far exceeded my expectations.

Once I finally grasped how they're meant to be used and developed the proper technique in using them, they are in my opinion, the best razor designs on the planet. You dont need to hunt for the right angle, its built into them. All you need to do is find the right amount of pressure and let the razor do what its designed too do.

Even after all the months I've been using my MMOC it can still be too much of a good thing with a fresh PTFE blade. However, the Bullet Tip and a fresh blade is a wonderful thing, much to my surprise.

I still think the Bullet Tip and MMOC should have been sold in 'Father & Son' or 'Mild & Aggressive' sets they compliment each other so well.

I have to agree here with Shane, I think it’s odd how much people seem to resent contemporary GEM razors. Here we have someone who wanted to start a discussion about their “Love of Modern GEM razors,” and then there are all of these misplaced comments. I think razors are highly personal things, and it’s disheartening to see that some people don’t want to give a particular type of razor any space.

Yes this thread is suppose to be about "Modern GEM razors". It's okay to bring up the vintage ones but this is not the thread to put your detail comments on how you use your vintage one.
Vintage are nice and do shave nice but I prefer my new ATT G1 GEM in every way over the vintage I have owned.

I'm not sure I see any resentment towards modern GEM type razors. I think many scoff at GEM type razors in general. They look unusual and they're very different in use to a DE. They also far outperform any DE I've used.
After my first shave using my Bullet Tip, with a carbon blade, I really didnt like it and went back to DE's. After my first use of my MMOC I really didnt like it either and went back to DE's for several months. I kept reading and hearing of a few members speaking so highly of them that I decided to try my MMOC again. I still didnt like it. It was too much of a good thing, but I stuck with it determined to learn it. That took some time and blood was shed in the process but the pay off far exceeded my expectations.
Once I finally grasped how they're meant to be used and developed the proper technique in using them, they are in my opinion, the best razor designs on the planet. You dont need to hunt for the right angle, its built into them. All you need to do is find the right amount of pressure and let the razor do what its designed too do.
Even after all the months I've been using my MMOC it can still be too much of a good thing with a fresh PTFE blade. However, the Bullet Tip and a fresh blade is a wonderful thing, much to my surprise.
I still think the Bullet Tip and MMOC should have been sold in 'Father & Son' or 'Mild & Aggressive' sets they compliment each other so well.

Where is your love for the new GEMs?

I've made such comments and been ridiculed because of it.

That's sort of my point. Modern DEs are more accepted so it's become something of a faux pas to comment about how vintage is better in those threads. That hasn't extended over to modern GEMs.

To the point of this thread, there are only four modern GEM razors. The Sabre, ATT G1, PAA Starling, and Rocnel SE-G (out of production, I believe). The limited options is a large part of why modern GEMs aren't discussed very often.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I dont understand the lack of draw towards GEM razors, new or vintage, but I agree they dont get the attention they deserve.

The DE crowd is more vocal. I think maybe its the first stepping stone into the world of 'real' razors for most. Speaking for myself, I had to be pushed into SE's and driven to learn them. Many bypass SE completely and dive into the very deep end of straight razors.

The SE forum is a quiet place compared to the DE forum. That is changing, slowly.

To the point of this thread, there are only four modern GEM razors.

That likely has a lot to do with it.

I'm one who stands by that argument, that weight and fancy materials modern razor makers use are simply less important to shave qualify in a single edge razor's frame where because blade rigidity is inherent geometry is king. And I know if no improvements there since 1930, (unlike the DE world where I think real improvements in head design can and are happening, still love my Dart thank you). One has to appreciate and be willing to pay for a perceived better "shave experience" which goes beyond simply achieving a close/smooth balance in the shave. I would add maneuverability to the calculus and note the Vector is a really smart design in that regard over some modern competitors who I think miss the point by mass loading for no apparent reason. Says the guy loving his lightweight Enders Speed...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm one who stands by that argument, that weight and fancy materials modern razor makers use are simply less important to shave qualify in a single edge razor's frame where because blade rigidity is inherent geometry is king. And I know if no improvements there since 1930, (unlike the DE world where I think real improvements in head design can and are happening, still love my Dart thank you). One has to appreciate and be willing to pay for a perceived better "shave experience" which goes beyond simply achieving a close/smooth balance in the shave. I would add maneuverability to the calculus and note the Vector is a really smart design in that regard over some modern competitors who I think miss the point by mass loading for no apparent reason. Says the guy loving his lightweight Enders Speed...
using Tapatalk

The new razors are better for many reasons such as built quality and sturdy materials. Even if the vintage razors were in new condition they would not be as good since the solid feel of the new ones are welcome by many guys. Almost every vintage razor I bought were loose fitting and the mechanism just barely works.
The new ones are superior and worth the extra money to me.
But all this is beside the point of this thread. This thread is not to compare the vintage razors against the new ones. This thread is about guys who love their modern GEM style razors.

Last edited:
The new razors are better for many reasons such as built quality and sturdy materials. Even if the vintage razors were in new condition they would not be as good since the solid feel of the new ones are welcome by many guys. Almost every vintage razor I bought are loose fitting and the mechanism just barely works.
The new ones are superior and worth the extra money to me.
But all this is beside the point of this thread. This thread is not to compare the vintage razors against the new ones. This thread is about guys who love their modern GEM style razors.

Comment was a response to Shane but duly noted.

Comment was a response to Shane but duly noted.

I understand the reason for your comment and I meant nothing bad against you. I had vintage razors I enjoyed very much, such as my Ever-Ready 1914 but I have OCD pretty bad and I like things to be near perfect or I can't enjoy them.

I would love to see an affordable modern GEM-style razor on the market, something along the lines of the RazoRock Hawk. My first G-Bar was amazing, but when it gave up the ghost, I never found another vintage GEM that was its equal. I also didn't know about any modern SE razors other than injectors and AC style razors, both of which are excellent shavers but don't float my boat the same way the GEMs do.

Top Bottom