What's new

Gem Junior

Hello, it's been a long time since I've posted here on B&B. Over the years I've managed to collect quite a few razors and I've pretty much settled on a US Govt issued Gillette DE from the Korean War era. That said, I still love SE razors and own a Clog Pruf, an Eveready, and another one that I cannot recall the brand of right now. This week I was in a thrift shop and bought this Gem Junior for $10. It's not perfect, but it was cheap. I soaked it in alcohol for a bit and stuck a fresh blade in it and gave it a whirl. It was a really good shave. Is there any way to determine a manufacture date, or date range? I've attached several photos.

Thank you,
Cliff

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Nice razor you got there, I’m going to guess that’s a GEM Jr. made from 1933 to 1938. There was an earlier model from the 1910s called the GEM Jr. but that was a smaller version of their enormous lather catcher razors and is pretty different. This 2nd gen Junior has the same basic design as the other 1912 Pat. marked GEMs but it’s in a gold/brass color. Lots of idiosyncrasies in the GEM line from what I’ve learned especially when you factor in the razors they made with EverReady, Star, and Treet. Have fun!

Here’s a good chart you can reference for GEM, EverReady, and Star razor dates:
IMG_5492.png

Top Bottom