What's new

Looking for the best high quality DE safety razor? NEW

I just saw this razor King C. Gillette DE and it’s apparently for edging beards and such. Anyone has this is this any good or should i get an Vintage one that i posted above?
The King C Gillette will shave similarly to the Merkur 34C or EJ DE89 and is at a good price at the moment. I note you mentioned Euros so I assume you are EU based in which case there are not as many Gillettes available to you. I think the King C Gillette could be a good choice although the UK online site is now saying the item is sold out. Which region are you in?
For edging I still say the Fatip {Piccolo or Grande} is your best bet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So i should get one of those Fatip Grande, Fatip Piccolo, Merkur 34C HD, Gillette Tech, Razarock Gamechanger? Which one would be the overall best choice of those then?

There is no best for everyone. There will be a best for you though. The road to finding it can be long and exceedingly expensive because its all about the design and geometry of the razor and how well it suits you. This is why I suggested you buy the one you like. Then like @jmudrick said, take the time to learn it and get the most from it you can. If then you find it has shortcomings and doesnt give you the shave you want or like, understand whats lacking and why.

My personal razor progression was, first, to more rigid designs, then to designs with less blade gap. My reasons are my own and may not fit anyone elses reasoning. I have fairly sensitive skin and fairly dense, coarse and difficult to cut stubble. I need an extremely rigid blade to shave with because if the blade lacks support it will flex and I'll bleed.

I dont like blade gap because of my sensitive skin. Allowing my skin to travel through any blade gap a design may offer makes my skin irritated. As blade gap grows larger, my irritation accumulates quicker.

After understanding those two aspects, I wanted higher efficiency and I wanted the option of shaving directly ATG first pass at 48 hours growth and it turns out, far longer than that, easily and comfortably.

Also doesn’t everybody have atleast one razor that everybody owns and loves a must have/own?

My #1 DE, by far, is the Fatip Grande OC. Its an extremely rigid design that has very little blade gap and generous blade exposure. Used at the proper angle, which also varies for each of us, I can have a 12 hour BBS shave with a single ATG buffing pass. It will give me that shave with two blades, Polsilver and Gillette Yellow. I've done that shave at 78 hours growth without any issues at all, but, it took me several months to learn how.

I only own one razor that will better it, the GEM MMOC. What my Grande does easily and comfortably at 78 hours growth, my MMOC will do at 100 and quite likely at 200 hours growth. However, it took me seven months to learn how to do that easily and comfortably.

The road to the perfect shave can be long but I've been enjoying the best shaves of my entire life, I'll be 54 this month, for the last year and a half. All of the answers I needed to get me where I am have been in the pages and members of this forum.

As I've said many times before, a truly fantastic shave doesnt need to be expensive but theres nothing wrong with buying what you like. I dont think of myself as being in the "cheapskate club" and despite its low cost, Fatips are anything but "cheap". I still think of the $20 Piccolo the best deal in the entire DE world. The Grande for ~$35, well... One picture is worth 1000 words and I could, and have, typed a hell of a lot more than 1000 words extolling its virtues.

IMG_2056.jpg

It still looks the same three years later.

I was thinking along the line of the Lo Storto might just displace your MMOC lol.

The Fatip slant is going to pluck my MMOC, is that what you're saying Rave? lol

I found two vintage Gillette tech ball end razors that look to be in good condition for 30€ each on Etsy. One is a gold tech ball end with no Gillette logo on cap and one is a silver tech ball end with Gillette logo on cap don’t know the dates. Anything different in the years, colors gold/silver, with or without logo?

Can i post links?

You can post links for items selling at a fixed price. You aren't supposed to post links to items being auctioned.

Ok the prices are fixed

The gold one

The silver one

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I found two vintage Gillette tech ball end razors that look to be in good condition for 30€ each on Etsy. One is a gold tech ball end with no Gillette logo on cap and one is a silver tech ball end with Gillette logo on cap don’t know the dates. Anything different in the years, colors gold/silver, with or without logo?

Can i post links?

The main difference between Techs are the pre and post war versions. Those differences are in the baseplates.

Post war left, pre war right.

Tech-4a.JPG

The difference is much the same as the difference between a Gillette NEW SC and a Gillette NEW LC.

NEW SC left, NEW LC right.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

The post war Tech and NEW SC both offer more blade support from the baseplate than the pre war Tech and the NEW LC. That added support for the blade leads to a more rigid and stable blade that can flex less.

Both Tech's you've posted look like postwar versions. Post war Techs are very common, easy to find and inexpensive. They are also excellent razors with a design thats much and, increasingly, copied.

As to the differences in baseplate design, many have a preference for one over the other so the only way to know which works better for you is to try both types. I personally much prefer the NEW SC over the NEW LC. I need that added rigidity, but what I need may not be what you need.

Take your time, use the search to read and learn and dont forget the B/S/T. You may not be able to post there yet, you need to have 45 posts to make a post there, but you can still send a PM if you find something you like.

Of course there are many to choose from that are high quality. I would like to suggest the Above The Tie stainless steel razors. At $185. I find that reasonable.
While I have and like a few ATT razors, changes are afoot. From their site announcing the new Windsor Pro line: Just like the Apple IPhone and other popular products, the Windsor Pro line of razors are designed and assembled in the US, and manufactured in China."

While I have and like a few ATT razors, changes are afoot. From their site announcing the new Windsor Pro line: Just like the Apple IPhone and other popular products, the Windsor Pro line of razors are designed and assembled in the US, and manufactured in China."

That's news to me. Are you sure about that? I did not research it.

The Rockwell 6S/6C are the my personal favourites, versatile well built and they give me fantastic shaves no matter if I have one day or multiple days of growth the benefit of an adjustable/interchangeable a top notch razor all together, another option could be the Model T but its bulkier and more expensive also a beautiful razor though

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think it's already been mentioned, but you'll find a lot of information on a razor fairly new to the market and already highly regarded by me and others here.

It's very smooth, easy to use, all metal in its construction, efficient, and inexpensive. It's put dust on all my other razors (and I have a bunch of 'em).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom