What's new

Looking for the best high quality DE safety razor? NEW

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The best high quality DE razor. It probably will not surprise you to find that the best high quality anything is usually pricey. To give you a definitive answer I'd have to purchase all the available razors in this category and evaluate them. That would be quite an investment.

Further complicating your choice would be the fact that my evaluation would be using my face/beard/technique and not yours. So I couldn't guarantee you'd get the same results.

But what the heck: get a Wolfman. Works for me.

ATT might be a good choice as Stan traditionally had a generous return/exchange policy.

To answer the O.P. question
...Also doesn’t everybody have atleast one razor that everybody owns and loves a must have/own?

Having owned hundreds of different DE and SE razors and using them all I've experienced every type of shave these designs are capable of and the short answer is no. There has never been a single razor that is so unique and different from a performance standpoint that is irreplacable by no other razor. I've also always kept my hobby money seperate from my household money and bought and sold strategically and purchased some as investments. Same goes with the build and that is even less important with 3D printed razors since unless the printed material is total garbage you can print enough for a lifetime including replacements for cheaper than any high priced razor.

My only advice is finding what works for you that is not some price dependent factor, you can either take a fool and his money are soon seperated, throw good money after bad, honey badger don't give a damn approach or take a more practical go from less to more invasive, low vs high risk reward decision making.

If you chase aestethics only then you'll wind up down the road of the former and if performance aka what works best for you than the later. If you want to go the later I can suggest a short like of representative razors that cover the whole spectrum and from their you can dial it in once you find what works.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Compete with, likely. Equal, well thats a different story. When they start selling gold ones, we'll find out.
I was thinking along the line of the Lo Storto might just displace your MMOC lol.
giphy.gif

I think i’ll try to look for a Gillette one
But there are some many models, year, colors and such which model/year/... should i look for?

I found someone on etsy who sells 32 Gillette razors i don’t if i can post the link?

But there are some many models, year, colors and such which model/year/... should i look for?

I found someone on etsy who sells 32 Gillette razors i don’t if i can post the link?

Name is DAPPERSTUDIOCC

I just saw this razor King C. Gillette DE and it’s apparently for edging beards and such. Anyone has this is this any good or should i get an Vintage one that i posted above?

So the King C Gillette DE is not good?
But which vintage one should i get?

There are some many models, year, colors and such which model/year/... should i look for?

I found someone on etsy who sells 32 Gillette razors i don’t if i can post the link, name is DAPPERSTUDIOCC

So the King C Gillette DE is not good?
But which vintage one should i get?

There are some many models, year, colors and such which model/year/... should i look for?

I found someone on etsy who sells 32 Gillette razors i don’t if i can post the link, name is DAPPERSTUDIOCC
That King Gillette is OK, if you are in the US you can get $10off coupon in Walgreens.
How long are you planning in growing a beard?
Check beardbrand in YT for tips on how to grow and what NOT to do....

Nobody here can tell you what's best for you. Man up and pick something that looks good and learn to shave with it.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

That King Gillette is OK, if you are in the US you can get $10off coupon in Walgreens.
How long are you planning in growing a beard?
Check beardbrand in YT for tips on how to grow and what NOT to do....

I don’t know yet my beard is around 3months old, i like Dan Bilzerian beard (don’t know how that style is called) or viking style beard so probably gonna try to go for that style

No but Proraso or C/O Bigelow is a good starting point because unlike Aristan soaps you are guaranteed to get a soap that won't burn your face because they know how to mix batches to a specific pH. Any large scale operation will. Frankly you can shave with bar soap in a pinch if you want to but it doesn't lather like shave cream. Same with washing your hair with bar soap instead of shampoo which is something I've done for over 15+ years now.

From my experience the soaps that tend to light up my face did so because of the fragrances used and not the pH of the soap being off. Some soaps that use fragrance oils containing citrus, almond, or cinnamon can be an irritant to some people's skin. Essential oils seem less likely to cause discomfort than some of the cheaper fragrance oils. To the point that one lime scent might feel completely fine while another I can't get off of my face fast enough. Cella is a mass produced in a factory soap, and it gives me a good deal of discomfort to use it. There are other as well that give me irritation, like the old Valobra made Art of Shaving Sandlewood as well as the newly made version.

With the hundreds of soaps I've experienced I can't say that I agree with the statement that traditional soaps are guaranteed not to burn your face. From my personal experience, I'd say the odds of getting a burning sensation from a traditional soap and an Artisan soap are about even, especially when you consider the number of almond and citrus scented traditional soaps.

We are all different and experience things differently. Something that burns the hell out of one person's face someone else can use with no ill effects. In addition, our bodies are always changing, so you never know. A soap we've comfortably used for years can give you a burning sensation out of no where.

Not trying to be confrontational, so I hope this doesn't come off that way. Just some free information from personal experience that's probably worth what you paid for it.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
As you know by now shaving is very opinionated I have found, it would be nice to own a razor that has no blade overhang (it's not big problem for most) but being a Newbie to Traditional wet shaving it is nice feature in any razor IMO. The sky is the limit what is out there now and quality is good mostly from what razors that have been mentioned above from the different posts. I have some Razorock razors like GC .84 and was thinking I would like the Lupo which is based off the W1 Wolfman razor concept.
Have some great shaves!

Gillette Gold Tech Ball End 1940 USA is this one good? No logo on cap

Kinda looks like this one

This is like asking a crowd of 100 people what you should have for dinner. Everyone is going to respond with their personal favorite.
...Pizza!​
...Fish!​
...Peruvian chicken with fried yuca and cabbage salad!​
...Duo of Grass-Fed Kobe beef ribs and Wagyu Tenderloin, served with hand-harvested truffles and morels, delicately balanced on a bed of organic quinoa pilaf, with a reduction of Japanese tamari and manuka honey, spinach and onion compote, and locally grown pomme frite!​
Now I’m hungry!

Top Bottom