What's new

Looking for the best high quality DE safety razor? NEW

I'll make this exceedingly simple. Go to Amazon, look up the Merkur 34C, and buy one for $40 shipped. It could be the only razor you ever own or it could be your jumping off point if you get hooked. Sorting through all the options and listening to the wild suggestions here will make you crazy. The Merkur 34C is the gold standard for a first DE razor. Excellent quality, excellent performance, excellent price. I make $200 razors for a living. Trust me on this one. This is the simplest and best way to go. You won't be disappointed.

I'll make it even simpler. Buy a Blackland Dart. If you don't like it, return it under Shane's generous return policy. :)

I could drive my wife's Mercedes to the mailbox at the end of our lane every day, but it's much more fun to hop on my 1950 Farmall Cub to do it. Unelss it's raining, then it's the Ford Ranger with the manual wind-up windows.

This is a huge aside but there is a lot of truth to this. The truth is these modern high end cars are just so powerful and silent that they are actually pretty boring to drive, unless you are driving a ludicrously illegal speeds and/or ludicrously dangerously (taking corners at 40 etc). In contrast older cars from the ones you describe and those old $300 "get up and go's" we all bought as students and effectively stayed together with judicious/prudent use of duct tape were absolutely crazily exciting to drive at 60 miles an hour, you can feel it, you can hear it, you knew it. They were definitely not boring and represented fun and excitement in that visceral ways that hearken back to youth and living. They wouldn't beat a Mercedes in a drag race but how often is anyone drag racing compared to just driving. (In PA drag racing is regulated ubiquitous pothole deployment strategies )

Regards
Avi

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thiers Issard Historic Le Grelot
Red Boxelder.

proxy.php

Thats a nice razor.

I've been drooling over a few Ed Brice razors for a while, but it would end up in a drawer with my knives because I dont use straights.

I'd like to get on another Suzuki Gamma too, but those days are gone lol.

The sentiments expressed @SilentAssassin resonate with me. As hobbies go, wetshaving is relatively inexpensive. We’re in orbit for a brief period of time. If the OP has the financial means, which he does, and wants to splurge, so be it. As @Blackland Razors suggested, get the Merkur, then order something even nicer. Maybe you won’t have your beard for the rest of your life, but you will the razor.

Sorry but the Tatara has one of, if not, the most sleek, streamlined and nimble top caps ( heads) out there in Double edge razors.
But yeah stainless is heavier
They seem to get a lot of good reviews as well as far as how they shave, though I find the handle on them homely to put it kindly, in fact I'll just say it is(in my opinion only) about the ugliest razor handle I have ever seen.

That said, function over fashion, aesthetics are merely a nice feature to have and quite subjective as everyone has different tastes, performance is really what is important and by all accounts this is a fantastic performing razor(I'll add that the head is really nice looking which makes the handle all the more disappointing for me).

They seem to get a lot of good reviews as well as far as how they shave, though I find the handle on them homely to put it kindly, in fact I'll just say it is(in my opinion only) about the ugliest razor handle I have ever seen.

That said, function over fashion, aesthetics are merely a nice feature to have and quite subjective as everyone has different tastes, performance is really what is important and by all accounts this is a fantastic performing razor(I'll add that the head is really nice looking which makes the handle all the more disappointing for me).

Aesthetics are a pure matter of taste and one man's meat is another man's poison. So it's ok for a design to be loved by some and hated by others - in fact that shows individuality and that the designer was not playing it safe.

Also I believe rhat for me, once I start paying serious money for a product, beautiful design becomes a necessary part of the package and it becomes more than just a functional tool - it is a functional piece of art and so it needs to embody that dual purpose in its looks.

For me personally, I think the Tatara Masamune has the most cohesive and unique design aesthetic of ANY razor on the market. It doesnt look like anything else ans nothing else looks like it. It embodies minimalism and modernity perfectly but despite that its finish and lines are supposed to reflect the pearlescent grain and lines of a traditional Japanese Katana. From.handle to head, the design is consistent throughout and well thought out functionally to increase strength and rigidity- it really is a design for the 21st century. And to my eyes rhe handle and the head are far more beautiful than most of the very expensive razors that peoppe like on these forums - most of which look derivative and boring to my eyes.

Aesthetically, for me it was and still is the mighty PILS 101NE. As and added bonus, it also gives me a very smooth and close shave once I got used to the unusual blade angle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A possible problem for someone new to DE razors is the wild variability of designs. As an example, the Gillette NEW LC and NEW SC. Both are very different razors and both shave differently.

One could also try a very common and popular Merkur 34C and fall in love with it or hate it. The same could be said for a $20 Fatip Piccolo. Both are inexpensive, both are popular and common but both are very different razors.

The best advice I give anyone thats looking for their first DE razor is, buy the one you like. Then, take the time to learn it and get the most from it. If happiness isnt found with it, understand why. The better you understand a razors shortcomings, if any, the shorter the road is to finding your best razor.

For my $0.02, spend the $20 on Fatip Piccolo or ~$30 on a Fatip Grande if you'd like a larger handle and get a good selection of blades from Try A Blade. If, after a month or two, you dont like it you wont be out much. Great razors and shaves dont need to be expensive.
The OP asked for suggestions and advice on a razor for Pete's sake, not life counseling.

A razor is just a tool as far as I'm concerned. That's why I suggested the Fatip Piccolo. It's all-brass so it should last, it shaves very well, is compact, easy to handle and it cost $20.

A Merkur HD would be fine, whatever, $35.

That is not supposed to be an insult to anyone's status.

I agree with @Esox and @Atlantic59 - Get a Fatip Grande or Piccolo, a nice blade sampler (or a couple of tucks of SilverStars if you don't go the assortment route) and stick to one razor/blade combination for a month.

Then, and only then, research any razor/blade changes you think you need to make.

Just my opinion.

I didn’t think it would be that complicated to pick a safety razor

So i should get one of those Fatip Grande, Fatip Piccolo, Merkur 34C HD, Gillette Tech, Razarock Gamechanger? Which one would be the overall best choice of those then?
Also what kind of razors are those open comb/closed comb/slant, mild/medium/aggressive?
I think that those aren’t adjustable wouldn’t an adjustable one like a Rockwell 6C/6S for example be a better choice since you can adjust it and such?

Also doesn’t everybody have atleast one razor that everybody owns and loves a must have/own?

The rockwell 6s isnt actually adjustable though...it is a system of plates u mix and match with and you have to disassemble the razor to change plates - not really adjustable enough on the fly in my book ...if it's your first perhaps I may suggest you stick to the mild razors and to stay away fron slant razors for now...

If you want an adjustable razor that isnt a bad idea at all and perhaps the best rated adjustable razor currently that is both smooth and efficient seems to be the russian made Taiga from homelike that is currently awaiting the completion of the second batch or generation in a couple of months time...I understand that the finishing of the second batch is said to be aiming to be an improvement over the first batch that was already said to be good...

I didn’t think it would be that complicated to pick a safety razor

So i should get one of those Fatip Grande, Fatip Piccolo, Merkur 34C HD, Gillette Tech, Razarock Gamechanger? Which one would be the overall best choice of those then?
Also what kind of razors are those open comb/closed comb/slant, mild/medium/aggressive?
I think that those aren’t adjustable wouldn’t an adjustable one like a Rockwell 6C/6S for example be a better choice since you can adjust it and such?

Also doesn’t everybody have atleast one razor that everybody owns and loves a must have/own?

On the fatip, I am happy with my fatip piccolo SE which is a very nice looking razor that is also working well and comes with both OC and closed comb plates however I have read on the forums that fatip is known to have irregular QC and so sometimes some customers have complained at getting irregular aligning heads and as a result the razors dont cut evenly...

So to avoid possible disappointment on your first razor you may want to choose a different brand unless u r ok with that risk...

I'm not going to recommend anything specific, but you could always buy a vintage Gillette off EBay. You may not even end up liking a DE. With a vintage Gillette, if you don't like it you can always sell it for what you paid for it. Or you could sell it and buy something "nicer" if you like.

I can see the next thread and reply coming already.
OP: “As my first ever soap or cream I’m considering either the SMN, ADP or similar. Money is no object and I want the best.”
Various replies: “You don’t need to spend that kind of money, just get a Proraso soap. That’s all you’ll ever need.”

I didn’t think it would be that complicated to pick a safety razor...
...Also doesn’t everybody have atleast one razor that everybody owns and loves a must have/own?
This is like asking a crowd of 100 people what you should have for dinner. Everyone is going to respond with their personal favorite.
...Pizza!​
...Fish!​
...Peruvian chicken with fried yuca and cabbage salad!​
...Duo of Grass-Fed Kobe beef ribs and Wagyu Tenderloin, served with hand-harvested truffles and morels, delicately balanced on a bed of organic quinoa pilaf, with a reduction of Japanese tamari and manuka honey, spinach and onion compote, and locally grown pomme frite!​

Well, if I had to recommend a lifetime razor, I would say go with an all stainless model and if you want to spend as little as possible, then I recommend either the Razorock Mamba line (milder razor) or the Game Changer (more aggressive) line of razors. Both lines are released in different models, with varying degrees of aggression and characteristics such as having an open comb vs a straight bar guard design.

If you are made of money, get a Timeless razor.

If you want my personal opinion, get a used Gillette Tech from the 40s or 50s. It's a mild razor with a very thin head design, making it ideal for your application, and having survived many decades, they will likely survive many more. They can be had for as little as $5, but expect to spend $20 for one in mint condition.

Good luck!
This. Every word.

The Tech would be my highest recommendation.

I can see the next thread and reply coming already.
OP: “As my first ever soap or cream I’m considering either the SMN, ADP or similar. Money is no object and I want the best.”
Various replies: “You don’t need to spend that kind of money, just get a Proraso soap. That’s all you’ll ever need.”

No but Proraso or C/O Bigelow is a good starting point because unlike Aristan soaps you are guaranteed to get a soap that won't burn your face because they know how to mix batches to a specific pH. Any large scale operation will. Frankly you can shave with bar soap in a pinch if you want to but it doesn't lather like shave cream. Same with washing your hair with bar soap instead of shampoo which is something I've done for over 15+ years now.

Top Bottom