What's new

Looking for the best high quality DE safety razor? NEW

Hello, I recently started to grow my beard out, and i’m looking at getting a safety razor to line up my beard (cheekline, neckline, and such). I always used Gillette Fusion or BIC disposable razors and i always end up with redness/irritation/bumps/ingrow and such so my skin is probably very sensitive. I heard that with those DE safety razors you don’t get that (is that true?)

This will be my first DE safety razor. So i’m looking for the best one out there one that i can pretty much use for years (maybe for live if that’s possible) a high quality one but i have no idea which one to get and what brand/model and such. I have seen the Rockwell 6C/Rockwell 6S or Rex Ambassador been recommend alot as been the best ones which one should i get or maybe other better ones? Also isn’t the Rockwell annoying to always take it apart to put other plates and such compare to the Rex Ambassador?

Well, if I had to recommend a lifetime razor, I would say go with an all stainless model and if you want to spend as little as possible, then I recommend either the Razorock Mamba line (milder razor) or the Game Changer (more aggressive) line of razors. Both lines are released in different models, with varying degrees of aggression and characteristics such as having an open comb vs a straight bar guard design.

If you are made of money, get a Timeless razor.

If you want my personal opinion, get a used Gillette Tech from the 40s or 50s. It's a mild razor with a very thin head design, making it ideal for your application, and having survived many decades, they will likely survive many more. They can be had for as little as $5, but expect to spend $20 for one in mint condition.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. So i should get a Timeless, Gillette or a Tatara instead of a Rockwell or Rex Ambassador?

You could be very happy with a Rockwell or a Rex in my opinion. Just remember that stainless is heav and those heads are WAY bulkier than a Razorock Mamba or Gillette Tech.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There is no 'best razor' otherwise we would all own the same one. Some love the latest $500 stainless 'must have' while others, like myself, consider them bland, sterile, and soulless, and have no interest in a razor which is less than 75 years old. Why not try a vintage tech and a modern DE like a Merkur 34C to see if you even like DE shaving before you spend big? If all you are doing is edging your beard then you certainly don't need an adjustable such as the Rex Ambassador. Many people love adjustables but many, like me again, think they are a pointless waste of time. You have to try a few razors and see what 'you' like, you can spend a little money doing that or a lot, the choice is yours but whatever anyone else recommends may suit you, but you might not like it at all. The price of the razor is, to a large degree, irrelevant, a $5 Tech might give you the shave of your life, and it has already lasted a lifetime so will surely last another. Good luck.

I'll weigh in with the Rex - all-stainless, certainly a lifetime razor, and infinitely adjustable. I love mine, and it can provide anything from a mild to fairly aggressive shave, and you may need both ultimately in your shaving journey. Nothing like it in modern razors, and a gem in design and construction.

Do you have photos or something of the Gillette i should look for? I looked at Gillette on Ebay there are alot of them and looks complicated to pick

Yeah i looked at the Merkur 34C but where i live for 15€ more i can get the Rockwell 6C so idk

Just want one (all in one pretty much) which i don’t have to get other ones and that i keep for a long time. I never owned a DE razor so i don’t know much about them.

Buy a Tech and get great shaves for yours, your son’s and your grandson’s lives. Not glamorous or gimmicky, just the best shaving tool ever. Many out there for $5. To spend the money for some high-end, overpriced razor to trim around your beard would not be prudent. I have 13 razors in my rotation, I shave my entire face everyday and they all perform brilliantly. None of them cost more than $15.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for the replies. So i should get a Timeless, Gillette or a Tatara instead of a Rockwell or Rex Ambassador?

No, you should get a Fatip Open Comb Slant. It's the best DE razor made. Also, it's not expensive. Also it's all brass (all metal, good metal).

5-31-20.FOCS.Vitos.Chubby.640.JPG

Since I began with mine it's all I've used. Efficient and very smooth shaving. Easy to use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
Have a look at the new Tradere made by a fine gentleman @Blackland Razors. I’m waiting for mine in open comb to arrive shortly. It also comes in a solid bar which is milder. Many other fine razors made by Shane.
+1. Have had the privilege of shaving with a safety bar Tradere and have a review posted, if you’re interested in a modern piece of functional art. There will be a bit of a wait though, I’m afraid.

Sorry but the Tatara has one of, if not, the most sleek, streamlined and nimble top caps ( heads) out there in Double edge razors.
But yeah stainless is heavier
No need to to apologize. I wasn't even referring to the Tatara anyways. It does look good in the photo.

The best razor for edging your beard would probably not actually be a DE. It would be a shavette or straight razor.

If you want to use a DE, try to find one that has a compact head. That will make it easier to maneuver and see what you are doing. For a new razor, I'd nominate a Fatip Piccolo, an all-brass razor that costs around $20.

If you want stainless another option to consider would be a Muhle Rocca. Cheaper than a Timeless or Rex Ambassador. About the price of a Rockwell but non-adjustable.
Since it would be your first shaving with a DE (even if only for contouring a beard) maybe an adjustable would be better so that you can have a degree a freedom in your shave and acommodate better.
There are many recommendations. In the end you decide.

You should do quite a bit or research first as opinions may vary a great deal.

For me personally the highest quality, by a good margin, would be Wolfman Razors. I prefer their WR2 straight bar in .95 blade gap. For these you buy them used or get on the wait list and wait a while until your name comes up. Quality and workmanship are as good as it gets.

Timeless and Blackland both make great razors that you can actually purchase without the long wait. There are plenty of other companies out there as well.

I'd recommend you put your name on the Wolfman waiting list and maybe pick up something like a Razorock Game Changer to use while you wait.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like. I'd be happy to ask you a few questions about what you're looking for in a razor and steer you in the right direction.

Yeah i have looked at shavettes/straight razors but i heard that they are hard to use

And safety razor seem to be easier safer to use. I just need one to line up my beard, so something like a Rockwell 6S/6C, Rex Ambassador, Timeless and such would not work for that? I need to look for Gillette ones or something like that? Also do you guys have photos of the Gillettes i should look for i have looked at Ebay but there are alot if them and seems complicated to pick

The best razor for edging your beard would probably not actually be a DE. It would be a shavette or straight razor.

If you want to use a DE, try to find one that has a compact head. That will make it easier to maneuver and see what you are doing. For a new razor, I'd nominate a Fatip Piccolo, an all-brass razor that costs around $20.
+1 on the shavette for lining up. Feather artist club maybe. If it must be a high quality safety razor a Blackland Vector would perform the task well with its long blade and compact head. Same artist club blade system as the feather but easier to handle as a first razor. The stainless steel construction will outlast you. This would be a great little edger that would get in everywhere.

87F6BBA8-2121-4BF3-A513-224BCD8A46A5.jpeg

Welcome to B&B.
Hello, I recently started to grow my beard out, and i’m looking at getting a safety razor to line up my beard (cheekline, neckline, and such). I always used Gillette Fusion or BIC disposable razors and i always end up with redness/irritation/bumps/ingrow and such so my skin is probably very sensitive. I heard that with those DE safety razors you don’t get that (is that true?)

This will be my first DE safety razor.
For the use you had in mind and focusing on beard edging, I would suggest the Fatip Piccolo Special Edition. First positive blade exposure is better for edging and secondly the open comb may be better for the shaved areas. Even better with the Piccolo SE is you get a second base plate to try. This is an all brass razor so it will last a life time. This is the same razor as in post #12 but with a different handle and finish and an extra base plate.
IMG_1107b.JPG

Top Bottom