What's new

List all the exes and reason(s) of divorce.

1. Vikings blade chieftain - first razor before I got serious.
2. Timeless .68 - second razor, technique prolly wasn’t there but found the head too bulky and not efficient enough for me.
3. R41 - was great but sold it once I got a charcoal goods lvl 3.
4. RS10 with both plates - too expensive for the results I was getting.
5. Karve all plates - won on a Facebook raffle page. Was ok but didn’t feel the need to keep it.
6. H&S P076 17-4 - blade exposure/gap resulted in efficient shaves but a bit harsh for my daily shave routine.
7. Paradigm diamondback 2020 - enjoyed it but not enough to hang with my top 5.
8. Wolfman WR2 1.15/1.35 sb - didn’t enjoy the shaves, head was a bit bulky and not enough blade exposure for me.
9. Razorock Lupo DLC - was getting some great shaves with it, sold it since my Charcoal goods lvl 2 was giving better results
10. Charcoal goods SS gen 2 lvl 2&3 - much more enjoy the gen 1 brass lvl 2&3
11. Carbon SS .68 - got better results from my Ti setup, same gap

I don’t like to have too much stuff. So I only keep my top 5 at any given time. So far the ones that have made the cut are..
1. Blackbird Ti
2. Carbon .68 Ti
3. Charcoal Goods Gen 1 lvl 2&3 brass
4. Charcoal Goods Gen 2 lvl 2 copper
5. Wolf .72

Just paid invoice for my .80 dc WR1 head so something may end up going
This is very fascinating to me. My Paradigm Diamondback 2020 tops my list.

I really also like my Lupo .72 at which point our Venn diagrams converge. I have the Blackbird stainless version and have been contemplating selling it. I very much like my Timeless Ti .68 SB and .95 SB. I enjoy my Karve. And for my mindless shave, I love my Rockwell 6S. Lots of misses when compared with your list.

Apart from these hits and misses, I am really liking my Razorock Wunderbar Slant. Talk about a close shave!

Last edited:
Pils, Blackbird, Wolfman 1.15 WR2, Fatboy, Schick G--not worth keeping though adequate performers, Schick Adjustable , Personna Adjustable, OneBlade Core, just not effective enough on my head shave to keep around..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Pils, Blackbird, Wolfman 1.15 WR2, Fatboy, Schick G--not worth keeping though adequate performers, Schick Adjustable , Personna Adjustable, OneBlade Core, just not effective enough on my head shave to keep around..

Interesting but I just came back to see Helen on the previous page. I think this is my favorite thread now.

1) Gillette Tech Ball-end (modern UK) - Handle too thin and unbalanced
2) Gillette Tech Thin Handle - Handle too thin
3) Merkur 34c. Too mild compared to prefer razors, couldn't get to certain areas of neck.
4) Merkur 37c. Disliked blade alignment and blade angle a bit annoying to dial-in
5) Muhle R41 Twist. Thread and internals started to RUST and leak rusty water after 6 months. Difficult to load, blade alignment annoying.
6) Gillette Executive (ie Gold fatboy). Couldn't get it to align properly, previous owner had damaged beyond effective repair.
7) Gillette Super Speed Red Tip - superflious, using a Fatboy instead.
8) Gillette Slim Adjustable - superflious, using a Fatboy instead.

Separated by not divorced, on loan.
Rockwell 6s - blade alignment annoying/fiddly.

This is very fascinating to me. My Paradigm Diamondback 2020 tops my list.

I really also like my Lupo .72 at which point our Venn diagrams converge. I have the Blackbird stainless version and have been contemplating selling it. I very much like my Timeless Ti .68 SB and .95 SB. I enjoy my Karve. And for my mindless shave, I love my Rockwell 6S. Lots of misses when compared with your list.

Apart from these hits and misses, I am really liking my Razorock Wunderbar Slant. Talk about a close shave!
My apologies to the Original Poster. I did not follow the original premise. The plain truth is that my razor collection never diminishes as I never seem to divorce from any razor. I keep them but use certain of them less.

As I contemplate my collection, I assume that my Blackbird SS SB, and RR Game Changer will get a lot less use. My Karve and Yates 921-M occupy that middle ground. Somewhat boring.

That said I will never get rid of my Paradigm Diamondback 2020 with its exquisite handle (and ultimate smoothness) or my Paradigm Ti II with another equally beautiful handle.

Nor will I ever divest myself of the most precise Feather AS-D2 or the ultimate industrial clunker/smooth beast, the Rockwell 6S.

For an every day workhorse I like my Timeless Ti .68 SB and .95 SB.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Schick injector, my first razor (now regret letting it go)
Henckels straight (still have it. Just got tired of the extra work a straight requires and needed a quicker shave during my early working years.)
Mid-70s Gillette TTO adjustable with black plastic handle (just never got completely okay with it)
Merkur 23C long handle (just didn't like it...not sure why. It just shaved kind of rough)

Currently using an AS-D2, but this accursed site has me wondering what else I might like better.
Bid the AS-D2 adieu. It is an amazing razor, but it takes work to get BBS. Now my son in law uses it, loving its mildness. I am happy with ATT Windsor. Really happy.

My first DE razor was a MicroTouch One. It was waaaay too mild (that and my technique never got good enough to use it without weepers when chasing the BBS).

Other mild razors/razor heads that I no longer use, include the AOS Muhle-made R89, WCS's closed comb razor head, and the WCS-Charcoal Goods head set's Lithe head.

I've also retired my Lord L6 razor, not because it was too mild, but because the balance was off. The razor head paired well with a WCS stainless or WCS brass razor handles, but other razors provided better shaves.

I liked the WCS-CG Toothsome razor head. It worked well with various WCS razor handles. I got some really great shaves with it. It also helped me dial in my shave angle.

That said, I get better shaves with my current razor: Fendrihan Kingston razor head on a WCS 79BR handle. I've gotten some truly excellent shaves with this combination. It's become my daily driver. While others like having a rotation of razors, I'm more monogamous when it comes to razors. When I find one I love, I stick with it.

On a side note, I also have a Lord L5 that arguably gave me my best shaves. It's perfectly balanced for me and I was able to shave without adding any pressure. It's also super light, so I put it into my travel kit. It's pretty ideal for that. I guess that means my Lord L5 is my side chick whom I see when I'm away from home. 😁

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
1) Q Shave Butterfly 4" long handle - Not a bad butterfly razor...actually was a bit too aggressive for me at that time. Graduated to three piece razors.

2) EJ Chatsworth - Decent shaver, but ultimately was set aside for a real high end razor. Expensive zamak razors like this one are fine, but they're really just posers.

3) RazoRock Mamba 70 - A very nice razor, but, in the end, too mild.

4) Karve Brass OC and SB Plate B - These razors were great for a time and provided many good shaves, but I found them to be too mild and not quite efficient enough to provide a consistent BBS.

I still have three razors that are in the stable that are seldom used, but I'm reluctant to part with them at this time. They include a SS Timeless .68 with scalloped head and base, a SS Charcoal Goods Gen2 LvL2 and a Karve Brass SB Plate C.

- Muhle R41: Hard no, friends don't let friends use this razor
- Weishi (any version): Why bother putting a blade in it, won't make any difference, I love mild razors but come on, this is crazy

Divorced then re-married a Merkur Futur. I bought a brand new one to use and couldn't even look at it without drawing blood. Sold it. Bought an older (not sure how old) model, and it shaves wonderfully.

Wow. You have divorced from some of the best and most heralded razors ever made. Pils (one of my favorites ever), Blackbird (I also let this one go, but a favorite of many), Wolfman WR-2 (on more "favorite razor ever" lists than almost any razor), Fatboy (on my personal list of razors that I will never sell), and Schick G (again, another widely heralded, efficient and simple razor).

I guess if you are Brad Pitt you can afford to let some very good looking women go.......

- Divorced my first razor an EJ 89 because I was not able to get consistent good shaves.
But recently married 2 of her relatives a Muhle R89 & King C. Gillette & are now getting great shaves.
I'm positive I was the problem not the EJ.

- Baili BD176, This was a nice looking inexpensive razor but it was too mild & had no plans to keep using it.

- Currently separated but still living under the same roof with a RR aluminum Lupo. No longer find it smooth & my shaves are now ALWAYS on the rough side. No plans to go to counselling. But might considered a swap.

Divorce is much too strong a word to describe my gentle breakups. Plus, we are mostly still in touch and are on amicable terms. There was never any bitterness or hard feelings.

Merkur 34C - my first. Bequeathed to my son to replace his starter Van Der Hagen. Still in the family, and I can visit whenever I want. (Razor with benefits?)

Merkur 25C (open comb) - I thought the open comb would provide more aggressive shaving than the 34C. I was very wrong. Negative blade exposure makes the 25C very very mild.

RazoRock MJ-90 - I received as part of an extremely generous PIF. After using it I had to check to see if there was a blade in it. There was, but it did not feel like it. I have PIFed it, and hope it is able to make someone happy.

Muhle R41 - Not a divorce at all. My pretty rose gold R41 had a terrible accident, fell to the floor, and her head popped off at the screw post. Thankfully Maggard's sells the replacement head, and all has been restored and forgiven.

Gillette Slim - Also received as part of that extremely generous PIF. I already had my birth year Slim. A few weeks ago I told my brother "This is the way." I supplied him with the Slim along with brush/soaps/blades. He loves the Slim (who wouldn't! :)).

Snmirn (the "Baby Futur" knockoff) - This was a one night stand this week. I have been intrigued by the Futur, but cannot pull the trigger on purchasing one due to price. This week I saw the Snimirn is only $10 on Amazon, and it was delivered next day. What a smooth shave! I really like the magnetic top. My boys are trying it out now. It is a great shave for $10, but not stunning enough to replace our regular gear. I will PIF this one to my brother, or here if he is not interested.

Last edited:
The Wilkinson sword classic (the plastic one) - my first safety razor, cut me to high hell, I absolutely hated it.
Then I bought the metal Wilkinson sword TTO - I threw it in the trash because it was defective, the guard bar was not straight, the blade reveal was off, it didn't close properly.
Then I bought the King C., it's a great razor, I love it, but it's just too mild for my facial hair. I still have it but it's in a drawer, I bought a R41 that I use exclusively now.

It was mostly amicable, but I am divorced from the Merkur Polished Chrome Futur. The head is too big and the handle is too slippery. She is on her way to a new suitor.

Currently separated and finalizing paperwork on a few others, again, amicably:
Ikon Tek - love the efficiency, don't like the feel and material
Blackbird Ti - just takes too much work and ends in irritation from too many passes for me. I can appreciate this razor though. Was not an easy decision.
EJ DE89 (actually saving this one for my son - this analogy is getting weird) too mild

Currently sleeping in separate bedrooms:
Muhle R41 GS - just didn't do me right this morning

Got to the point where shaving was not a hobby, simply part of the routine. Decided to keep 5 from my stable and let the rest go. Gang divorced a Black Beauty, Fat Boy, Krona, Merkur 1904 and a 33c, New style open comb (also kept one of these), a Khaki and a few others.

Top Bottom