What's new

Which to choose? High-End DE razor

Hello!

I am new here and as you probably have already guessed from the title of this post in the market for a "high-end" DE razor, problem is I feel spoiled for choice and as soon as I feel like "This one" I see someone likes "That one over this one" and the cycle continues.

I've always struggled with shaving due to sensitive skin but never worried for the past 12 years because once I got married who cares. However my wife left, so naturally at my age of 34 I took an interest again in "looking good".

I've been using a Merkur 41C OC for about 4 months with no issues, first time in my life I can shave without irritation, I do a stubble beard look, 1mm trimmer around face, clean up around the cheek bone area and neck with DE to look "neat".

Both areas have different issues, the neck is very sensitive and the hair grows in every which direction in the upper half but it's not too "tough". The cheek area is far less sensitive, still suffers from random directions of growth but the hair is tough as steel, it's really really hard to get a smooth shave or even passable shave without a very sharp blade and if I can't do it in 3 or under passes I'll definitely get irritation.

The Merkur has served me pretty well, it definitely could be a little more aggressive for my beard type but with a feather or other sharp blade I can get a passable result in 3 passes, mild blades have not been a friend in this razor, so much irritation! However, I broke her, I dropped her twice, she survived but was weakened, then I over tightened and it was all over.

I've had people recommend all sorts of things about using mild blades, get a more mild razor etc, never had any luck with that and I now ignore such recommendations I know what works for me and thats a sharp blade, do it in 2 passes is the goal and I'll get an irritation free shave (3 seems OK with some blades but not others hence I think a 2 pass rule will save my skin.)

Naturally I am attracted to the more aggressive DE razor, I like the OC I can't explain why but it makes sense to me and it brings me great joy to not have the razor clog up every 2 seconds like a cartridge would and that I can plow through 3 days growth and, it also has that old school feel. I like some blade feel but I also like to daily shave the cheeks, every second day I do the neck however as I say for my skin less passes with the sharpest blade possible seems to be the best for me.

I've been tossing up between these (but absolutely open to other recommendations)

1. Yates Custom OC (Ti head, SS baseplate and Ti handle)
2. Blackbird OC in SS
3.Tatara Masamune OC
4. RR Superslant OC L2++

Other razors start getting way out of my price range the Yates is my limit at $210 USD.

I recommend the Blackbird, given your preferences. It’s an extremely high end product. Excellent. I love mine. I have a SS one. Smooth. Efficient. A pleasure to use. I have the Tatara but haven’t tried the others. Other, more experienced members will chime in with their recommendations. Good luck.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Out of the four you list, I only have experience with the Blackbird and mine is a matte finish stainless steel open comb. It really is an excellent shaving implement. However, I would suggest getting something quality, but less expensive...a RazoRock Lupo. I own Wolfman, Blackland, Muhle R41 Grande and a few other razors and I can tell you, that the Lupo gets its share of shaves in a fairly high end stable. My favorite Lupo is the .72 OC.

Best of luck with your choice.

Happy Shaves!

Compared to the Merkur, the Blackbird OC may be too much of a gap in terms of blade feel / aggressiveness. Is there an OC lite base plate?

Out of the four you list, I only have experience with the Blackbird and mine is a matte finish stainless steel open comb. It really is an excellent shaving implement. However, I would suggest getting something quality, but less expensive...a RazoRock Lupo. I own Wolfman, Blackland, Muhle R41 Grande and a few other razors and I can tell you, that the Lupo gets its share of shaves in a fairly high end stable. My favorite Lupo is the .72 OC.

Best of luck with your choice.

Happy Shaves!
Oh I am definitely considering some of the RR range I.e. Superslant or Lupo .72/0.95 OC but kind of want to get one "super special" razor as like a family heirloom thing, the prized dads razor that my daughter might keep or even give to her son etc etc. Can always get a RR or two later 😉 but then I'd stop buying unless it was antique or something.
I recommend the Blackbird, given your preferences. It’s an extremely high end product. Excellent. I love mine. I have a SS one. Smooth. Efficient. A pleasure to use. I have the Tatara but haven’t tried the others. Other, more experienced members will chime in with their recommendations. Good luck.
It's tempting, seems slightly scary but I almost consider that a pro 😅 they're all probably great in there own ways.

Compared to the Merkur, the Blackbird OC may be too much of a gap in terms of blade feel / aggressiveness. Is there an OC lite base plate?
I'm not too concerned but a little bit concerned about aggressiveness. The Merker is actually surprisingly nice for a cheap razor but never had that feel I really want, needs to be a bit more intimidating 🤣

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Oh I am definitely considering some of the RR range I.e. Superslant or Lupo .72/0.95 OC but kind of want to get one "super special" razor as like a family heirloom thing, the prized dads razor that my daughter might keep or even give to her son etc etc. Can always get a RR or two later 😉 but then I'd stop buying unless it was antique or something.

It's tempting, seems slightly scary but I almost consider that a pro 😅 they're all probably great in there own ways.

Have you considered the Muhle R41 Grande SS? Stainless Steel model will run around $150 American. It's my closest shaving razor...beats my Blackbird and my Wolfman WR1. 80 OC and both of those razors are capable of giving a very close shave.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Hi and welcome to B&B. I would definitely check out the R41 well within your price range, and it's more efficient/aggressive than your previous razor. May I also suggest the Fatip range of razors. Made from solid brass with range of finishes. They also have different styles of handles with different materials at different lengths. There are some here that say they punch well above their price range. Just trying to give you another choice you may not know of.

Good luck in your quest my friend.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You should correct your posting. Which one of the four you should buy first is probably more accurate if you continue reading badger & blade. 😁

On a more serious note, if you are not much into selling/reselling razors, testing the waters some more with cheaper zamac and vintage razors might also be a possible approach.

If you pick the Blackbird, I liked the SB way more. The OC shaves indeed a bit closer but it's a bit too pointy for me when not holding the wanted more shallow angle.

Razorock is a great start for the journey, too.

Instead of a slant I would go with the Game Changer .84P or the Lupo.95 OC.

My favorite is the Superslant L3 OC++, nur I don't know you or your preferences. And to be blunt, at this point you probably don't know them either.

So maybe try two rather different designs and keep some money in reserve.

The Blackbird SB and the Game Changer.84P are very safe bets you won't regret and make for a great start, IMO.

Before investing in a high price razor, you should do the rounds with lower cost razors first to help you determine what you like.

do you like razors that are:

-light or heavy?
-long handle or short?
-open comb or closed comb?
-flat headed (like a 3-piece) or dome headed(like TTO)?
-standard head or slant head?
-fixed or adjustable?
-polished finish or mat?
-which blade gap?
-which blade exposure?

There are plenty of places like IB that sell handles and heads separately to indulge your curiosity and help you decide what YOUR preferences are.

The 41C is relatively mild and what you are looking at are many steps more aggressive. As others have said, before you seek your aggressive grail razor, you might want to try a medium-aggressive to test the waters and help you make a more informed choice. A GameChanger 84p or OC if you like less bladefeel, or one of the Lupo line if you like more would be a great experiment. That might point you in the right direction for that next step. Happy shaves!

Top Bottom