What's new

List all the exes and reason(s) of divorce.

1 ) Muhle R41 :
Got tired of paying so much attention while shaving.
Never been able to do
ATG pass with it ,due to excessive blade chattering.
Zamak razor .

2 ) Wilkinson Sword Classic :
Gave it to a homeless person.

3 ) Muhle R89 :
Very mild.Made from Zamak.

4 ) Muhle R96 ROCCA v3 : Excessive blade chattering at ATG pass.Dragging .

5 ) Tatara Masamune Open Comb :
Too mild.Bit of drag.
Short handle and
After Market handle limitations.

6 ) Karve brass E oc ,
D sb & G :
Very thick guards.Drag.
Not so efficient for the given gap & exposure .

7 ) Fatip Retro ( OC ):
Severe blade alignment issues.Odd threading /
AM handle limitations.

8 ) Timeless Scalloped / SS 0.95 : Too heavy,too bulky .Felt like holding
a small hammer.

9) Gillette Fat Handle Tech ( England ): Too lightweight ,too mild ,very short “angle of attack” range.

Well, there was the first wife, who . . . Oh. Wait.

The only razor I've given up was the first one, the Merkur 23C. I passed it on to my lady friend to use when I got my Slim. And for some reason the '53 Gillette Super Speed does not get much use, because I guess the handle is just too small. But all the other razors I've bought are still with me.

1. Vikings blade chieftain - first razor before I got serious.
2. Timeless .68 - second razor, technique prolly wasn’t there but found the head too bulky and not efficient enough for me.
3. R41 - was great but sold it once I got a charcoal goods lvl 3.
4. RS10 with both plates - too expensive for the results I was getting.
5. Karve all plates - won on a Facebook raffle page. Was ok but didn’t feel the need to keep it.
6. H&S P076 17-4 - blade exposure/gap resulted in efficient shaves but a bit harsh for my daily shave routine.
7. Paradigm diamondback 2020 - enjoyed it but not enough to hang with my top 5.
8. Wolfman WR2 1.15/1.35 sb - didn’t enjoy the shaves, head was a bit bulky and not enough blade exposure for me.
9. Razorock Lupo DLC - was getting some great shaves with it, sold it since my Charcoal goods lvl 2 was giving better results
10. Charcoal goods SS gen 2 lvl 2&3 - much more enjoy the gen 1 brass lvl 2&3
11. Carbon SS .68 - got better results from my Ti setup, same gap

I don’t like to have too much stuff. So I only keep my top 5 at any given time. So far the ones that have made the cut are..
1. Blackbird Ti
2. Carbon .68 Ti
3. Charcoal Goods Gen 1 lvl 2&3 brass
4. Charcoal Goods Gen 2 lvl 2 copper
5. Lupo .72

Just paid invoice for my .80 dc WR1 head so something may end up going

Wow—I see some of my favorites have been tossed aside here, the Rocca and the Karve most notably.

For me, once you enter my razor harem, you are there to stay. You might be unattractive, overly aggressive, tediously dull, spiteful, decrepit, pockmarked, or just plain mean. But you have found a home and I will let you caress my face, even if it’s only on very rare occasions. Sometimes it’s just to remind myself why I keep you locked in the cellar.

(I should say that’s only my double edged harem. I have straights that are entirely unfit for human companionship, though some may eventually be reformed.)

Last edited:
40s SuperSpeed - too mild
iKon X3 - too mild
several Techs - too mild
Rockwell 6C - too bulky
Fatboy - a shave brother could love her more, far more
Gem Pushbutton - unattractive, also too mild
Feather Popular - marriage never consummated
Merkur 36 - I was dumped
Merkur 37C - handle too heavy (her sister the 39C is on short notice)

• Merkur Progress - I'm not really sure why I sold it, and I'm seriously considering buying another.
  • Merkur Futur - If they made one with a grippy handle, I would buy another. I tried all of the solutions for covering or coating the handle but did not like any of them.
  • Merkur 37C - I didn't feel that this slant was any more efficient than my Edwin Jagger DE89, and the DE89 was smoother.
  • Edwin Jagger DE89 - I sold it because it was too mild, but later I bought another one.
  • Gillette Black Beauty - This was actually my father-in-law's razor (he lived with my wife and me), but due to Parkinson's disease he had to resort to an electric shaver. When my father-in-law died, I offered the razor to my wife's brother, since it had belonged to his father, and he now has it.
  • RazoRock Old Type - I enjoyed this razor for quite a while, but ultimately I found other razors that I felt were just as efficient but smoother.
  • RazoRock Game Changer (all but Jaws) - My favorite of this group was the .84 open comb, but it still lost out to my Rocca V4.
  • Rockwell 6C - The large head, due to the reversible base plates, was a bit ungainly.
  • Fatip Piccolo Mk I - This razor was too aggressive for me. After a day or two of using it, I inevitably wound up with some irritation on my neck. I do have a Mk II and a FOCS.
  • RazoRock Hawk V3 - I had both the safety bar and open comb versions (and still have the aluminum V2). I prefer the Classic Shaving Enoch, so I sold my stainless steel Hawks.
  • Gillette Tech - This razor was very mild, but also very inefficient (for me). My normal two pass shave left too much stubble behind.
I'm probably forgetting one or two.

I've sold quite a few of my razors and some of them were decent, but I didn't want to own too many razors especially when I didn't use them that often, but I also sold a few razors that weren't my favorite at all or i've found something better. The list doesn't contain all the razors that i've sold, but only those which I really wanted to get rid off.

R41 head - The reason why I sold mine is almost the same as yours. I was able to get nice shaves with mine, but I didn't like it's roughness and blade chatter. I've decided to keep it for one pass shaves, but then I bought a MMOC, which can do pretty much the same, but it's way more comfortable and enjoyable.

Yaqi Katana head - Too much blade chatter and the design imho is terrible.

Yaqi Mellon head - Too mild and inefficient.

A couple of Gillette Techs - Too mild and inefficient.

Ming Shi 2000S - A terrible shaver, especially on the higher settings and the blade chatter was off the charts (kek). I have no idea what others see in that razor and why some people like it soo much or perhaps mine was defective.

Rockwell 6S - Even on the setting 6 it was way too mild and efficient even with a Feather blade. I've spend a few months trying all kinds of blade combinations and techniques and then I gave up and sold it. The funny thing was that I cut my bottom lip once when I was trying to buff a small area and it was totally my mistake, but no other DE/SR/SE/cartridge or whatever razor, have ever cut me that bad before. I also have no idea what others see in that razor and why they love it soo much.

Last edited:
While not divorced, my beautiful third generation Gillette UK Aristocrat and I are more or less separated. I have only used it twice and the damage it caused has made me loathe to repeat the experience. It will most likely end up in BST one day.

Parker A1R travel set. Some may like it but for me it was harsh. Gone but then you never forget your first bad relationship right?

Too many list list, but all for the same reason - they either weren't as good as my Tech or they weren't any better then my Tech and cost way more than it did.
I've probably owned over 30 models of DE and there are only two left - my Tech and a Merkur 15C.

I am a tolerant shaver. I try my best to find a way to use them for all my collections, but two razors are unbearable.

1. Putali slant razor: garbage. Rough build quality and worst blade alignment.

2. Yaqi slant razor: a garbage again. There is no clamping blade at all, the worst blade tremor and shaving angle, unimaginable bad design, if you have a basic understanding of razor building, this thing should not appear in this world.

My first razor with whom I spent almost a decade getting atrocious results, not realising that shaving can be a pleasant experience.

Pearl SS - 09 : It's a nutty razor, I never seem to get consistent shaves with it, I tried various blades but it's too inefficient for me.

Gillette Plastic 7 O'clock Black razor : It always gives me irritation, and not because I applied too much pressure on a featherweight razor, but something in the material just irritates my skin.

I actually got a severe reaction on my face both times, and it is a scary situation.

This is an interesting thread!

1. Merkur 34 C.
My first DE razor was the obligatory Merkur 34C. Great as little beginner razor that I exclusively used for 5-6 years. I then passed it on to my youngest son, who wanted to try DE shaving.

2. Viking Chieftain
I picked up this razor on Amazon in a quest to find a butterfly razor. I had been wet shaving for several years but no idea lots of people did this and there were lots of resources to find gear. What I really wanted was a Fat Boy. When I got the Fat Boy, the Chieftain went bye bye. It was a very inconsistent razor with suspect build quality.

3. Merkur Futur
Phenomenal shaver but an absolute beast of a razor. Shave results were top notch but I just didn’t enjoy using that huge ungainly slippery thing. It is the second (though likely not the last) razor I’ve given to my youngest son. He absolutely loves it!

4. Game Changer .68 SB and Jaws
This will be the next to go. The .68 plates are just too mild for me. I have them set aside for my soon-to-be son-in-law who is using an Edwin Jager DE89.

Dscosmetic D8-the cheapest cnc stainless steel razor, shaving OK. But the workmanship is not good.

Charcoalgoods everyday-good workmanship and good shaving. However, the height of the column on the base plate is insufficient, so it is not convenient to install the blade. The opening of the upper cover is relatively large, which can not be effectively fixed on the floor post, and sometimes it will be out of position. For a three-figure dollar razor, this design is intolerable.

I know that my shaving skills still need to be improved, and I can't fully control a razor. I can't judge by the effect of shaving for the time being. Some razors can only be eliminated for other reasons.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have sold a Gillette Fatboy, a Slim, a Rocket HD 500, an English Flare Tip Rocket, two English Goodwill, a US Red Tip, a few Super Speeds, a Velvet, a Myatt Daymark, a Gibbs adjustable, a few Leresche, plus a load more I have forgotten. The reason is always the same, I have enough razors and if I purchase and keep a razor then I have to sell one. I always sell the one I use, and like, the least. The other option is to become a collector and own razors that I rarely if ever use and that ultimately provide no satisfaction. Recent events have caused me to re-evaluate what is really important to me, and it is not owning more stuff.

37c, 39c, GC 84, Tatara Masamune, Fatip and FOCS: too mild
Hawk v2: was pulling more than shaving with any blade I tried
Hawk v3: too inefficient with all but the most aggressive blades (Pro Super), which felt overly aggressive on my face. AC blades feel to me like there's no middle way, either like shaving with a katana or a lego brick. I just couldn't dial in the angle.
Tatara Nodachi: beautiful razor, but too draggy and too capricious. Required me to keep constant attention on the angle, plus was picky with the blades.
R41: not divorced, but on backup. Great performer, but the teeth feel unnecessarily harsh.
iKon Tech: great efficiency, but removes too much skin.

Top Bottom