What's new

Which to choose? High-End DE razor

Fair enough, the handle isn’t great and does roughly double the cost. But personally I would not buy just the head; this is actually where I get pretty picky. I also agree that the MR11 looks like a decent choice for this head. I may pick one up next time I order from Maggard, thanks for the recommendation. 👍🏻

The GS is just ridiculous. I am a HUGE R41 fan, including clones and such, but the GS overall is too big and heavy. Even if you pair the stainless head, which is fine and only a few grams heavier than the zamak version, with a smaller stainless handle, it would be better than it is with the “grande” handle at a similar weight. They did the same thing with the official titanium version too, gave it a giant handle. Of course it’s much lighter, but it’s huge. Someone over there really likes that size of handle a lot, and I think the razors are worse for it honestly. I agree that >100g is too much, but the big handle sucks for others reasons too.

when i went throught the same process I had it down to Timeless or Blackland. I chose Timeless Titanium with a .95 gap after learning that the Blackland was more aggressive and had a bit of a learning curve. I've been exceedingly happy with my Timeless.

Even if you pair the stainless head, which is fine and only a few grams heavier than the zamak version, with a smaller stainless handle, it would be better than it is with the “grande” handle at a similar weight.
I have the R41 GS and don't prefer the large heavy handle either. I use the stainless steel R41 head with the fairly light Mühle tortoiseshell handle, and the balance seems "just right" to me.

I'd recommend though that you try the Timeless .68 Open comb!
Probably the best OC I've ever tried. The others are great but the .68 OC is magical (I'm not the only one that feels this way about it). Timeless' OC teeth are rounded which makes it incredibly smooth.
Preach it, brother. I have the .68OC Ti, love it. I think the Timeless open comb design is a genuine improvement over any other I have tried.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Oh wow I didn't see the Scratch and Dent section, looks like I'm adding the Timeless to the list. I thought I was narrowing down but that doesn't seem to be happening.
I have to say.. I'm with Larry/ @LRod . I have and love the Timeless 0.68OC with the Ti Crown handle. For me, it's brilliant. I don't need more efficiency than it provides. In other words, I don't need the 0.95OC or Solid Bass/SB. I got mine with the scalloped "top" cap. I also chose the matte finish because it will show less scratches over time. But that's me. I have both polished and matte finish razors. I don't really have a favorite finish.

Edit: David/ @never-stop-learning mentioned the Lambda Athena... what a great razor.

High end razors don't have to be expensive.
Works well with Williams Mug Soap or ARKO and Astra SP Blades.
This is the only razor I've used for the last 5 years except for a small percentage with another razor I don't like.

Top Bottom