What's new

Which to choose? High-End DE razor

Of your list, the Tatara Masamune OC would be a good next step up. The others may be too much of a step up.

I’m a huge Yates and Bkackland fan and have both in multiple configurations. If you were to go Yates, start with the M solid bar plate. If you want to try the Blackbird, maybe start with the lite solid bar plate.

Have you considered the Muhle R41 Grande SS? Stainless Steel model will run around $150 American. It's my closest shaving razor...beats my Blackbird and my Wolfman WR1. 80 OC and both of those razors are capable of giving a very close shave.
I am now. It's a shame I can't feel or better yet use each razor somehow without buying. The R41 is quite tempting because it is available locally and I could get it on credit, then I can justify another future special razor purchase because I never spent that money I had saved for that purpose.
Hi and welcome to B&B. I would definitely check out the R41 well within your price range, and it's more efficient/aggressive than your previous razor. May I also suggest the Fatip range of razors. Made from solid brass with range of finishes. They also have different styles of handles with different materials at different lengths. There are some here that say they punch well above their price range. Just trying to give you another choice you may not know of.

Good luck in your quest my friend.
Thank you sir, I had seen the Fatip range but most models that appeal to me are out of stock locally except the slant grande with the closed comb (However says Low Stock, which means it might be out of stock actually), I had considered this model for the purpose of trying out a slant razor.
You should correct your posting. Which one of the four you should buy first is probably more accurate if you continue reading badger & blade. 😁

On a more serious note, if you are not much into selling/reselling razors, testing the waters some more with cheaper zamac and vintage razors might also be a possible approach.

If you pick the Blackbird, I liked the SB way more. The OC shaves indeed a bit closer but it's a bit too pointy for me when not holding the wanted more shallow angle.

Razorock is a great start for the journey, too.

Instead of a slant I would go with the Game Changer .84P or the Lupo.95 OC.

My favorite is the Superslant L3 OC++, nur I don't know you or your preferences. And to be blunt, at this point you probably don't know them either.

So maybe try two rather different designs and keep some money in reserve.

The Blackbird SB and the Game Changer.84P are very safe bets you won't regret and make for a great start, IMO.
Yup your quite right, this is more of a list of razors I want to buy and I'm deciding the order in which I buy them.

RR have several razors I'd like to try, it's the dam shipping cost and time that kills it for me, its easier in my mind to justify the shipping cost and wait when its a super special purchase, however the Lupo .95 OC and Superslant are super tempting looking and I could get some soap etc not available locally with the order.

Fatip, Merkur and Muhle are all locally available, I've no problem picking up any of these brands models.

The Blackbird is also so extremely tempting, its the best price point of the lot, least money wasted on shipping (I hate how much shipping cost me with overseas purchases, some razors are $40+ USD to ship ), has a unique look id to have in a "high-end" razor..... You've thrown me a little by saying you prefer the Safety bar vsrsion, why can't I be a millionaire this would be easy id buy everything!
Before investing in a high price razor, you should do the rounds with lower cost razors first to help you determine what you like.

do you like razors that are:

-light or heavy?
-long handle or short?
-open comb or closed comb?
-flat headed (like a 3-piece) or dome headed(like TTO)?
-standard head or slant head?
-fixed or adjustable?
-polished finish or mat?
-which blade gap?
-which blade exposure?

There are plenty of places like IB that sell handles and heads separately to indulge your curiosity and help you decide what YOUR preferences are.
Buying heads and handles separately seems interesting, I like some weight, aluminum doesn't appeal to me but I was wondering how a light handle and heavy head would feel. I hate gimmicks, no butterfly or adjustable or any unneeded moving parts IMO I'd rather buy different razors for different feels and put up with the 2 seconds inconvenience of a 3 peice design.
I wouldn’t assume that more expensive = great shave. I’ve never spent more than $17 for a razor and get fantastic shaves. My 2 best shaving DE’s, a Lord L5 and a Yuma each cost less than $10.
Absolutely agree, brass is cheap so is stainless, the amount materials in a razor is minimal no doubt what your saying is true but I wanted the one high end razor, to look nice, feel nice, be a bit unique and be a bit of a heirloom.
The 41C is relatively mild and what you are looking at are many steps more aggressive. As others have said, before you seek your aggressive grail razor, you might want to try a medium-aggressive to test the waters and help you make a more informed choice. A GameChanger 84p or OC if you like less bladefeel, or one of the Lupo line if you like more would be a great experiment. That might point you in the right direction for that next step. Happy shaves!
I get that but it's hard with overseas orders where I live and id hate to go too mild again, RR have quite high shipping too they're not hugely cheaper than buying the Blackbird or Yates however I have absolutely been considering a Lupo .95 OC and or Superslant and could get soap etc not locally available to make the shipping cost feel more worth while.
Welcome. You may want to check out the Karve OverLander...a truly excellent razor. Mine's the brass version.
I saw those, they look really really nice but sadly don't ship to NZ so I took it off the list.
Both Timeless n Blackland have 30 trail offer.

Buy it, hate it, return it.👍👍👍👍
If returning the Blackbird was easy for me, I'd absolutely try it right now but I'm In NZ the time it takes to send back and the shipping costs. It's a good scheme but not as good for someone like myself, I'll end up paying $50 USD to return it if I hated it.

Of your list, the Tatara Masamune OC would be a good next step up. The others may be too much of a step up.

I’m a huge Yates and Bkackland fan and have both in multiple configurations. If you were to go Yates, start with the M solid bar plate. If you want to try the Blackbird, maybe start with the lite solid bar plate.
I worry the Tatara could be too mild, shipping stuff is such a pain for me it becomes an important thing to consider when purchasing stuff.

I also think I forgot to mention an important preference, I don't want a ride the top plate type razor, the 41C is to much like that for me it feels a little awkward at times. I very much prefer more of a handle sitting parallel to the face style, more like a cartridge is may be how to describe it.

I also think I forgot to mention an important preference, I don't want a ride the top plate type razor, the 41C is to much like that for me it feels a little awkward at times. I very much prefer more of a handle sitting parallel to the face style, more like a cartridge is may be how to describe it.

Then you may not want to get the Blackbird, it is designed to shave shallow and to follow the angle of the top cap. While some do otherwise, most find shallow (as designed) is best.

Then you may not want to get the Blackbird, it is designed to shave shallow and to follow the angle of the top cap. While some do otherwise, most find shallow (as designed) is best.

This is good to know, I thought the opposite by looking at its design. I'm sure in time I'll get used to riding the top cap more but it does feel awkward especially when doing my left hand side of my face holding the razor with my right hand, I always end up covering an eye and struggling to get the angle right so I can see what I'm doing while actually shaving off beard not just pushing lather around my face.

I am now. It's a shame I can't feel or better yet use each razor somehow without buying. The R41 is quite tempting because it is available locally and I could get it on credit, then I can justify another future special razor purchase because I never spent that money I had saved for that purpose.

Thank you sir, I had seen the Fatip range but most models that appeal to me are out of stock locally except the slant grande with the closed comb (However says Low Stock, which means it might be out of stock actually), I had considered this model for the purpose of trying out a slant razor.

Yup your quite right, this is more of a list of razors I want to buy and I'm deciding the order in which I buy them.

RR have several razors I'd like to try, it's the dam shipping cost and time that kills it for me, its easier in my mind to justify the shipping cost and wait when its a super special purchase, however the Lupo .95 OC and Superslant are super tempting looking and I could get some soap etc not available locally with the order.

Fatip, Merkur and Muhle are all locally available, I've no problem picking up any of these brands models.

The Blackbird is also so extremely tempting, its the best price point of the lot, least money wasted on shipping (I hate how much shipping cost me with overseas purchases, some razors are $40+ USD to ship ), has a unique look id to have in a "high-end" razor..... You've thrown me a little by saying you prefer the Safety bar vsrsion, why can't I be a millionaire this would be easy id buy everything!

Buying heads and handles separately seems interesting, I like some weight, aluminum doesn't appeal to me but I was wondering how a light handle and heavy head would feel. I hate gimmicks, no butterfly or adjustable or any unneeded moving parts IMO I'd rather buy different razors for different feels and put up with the 2 seconds inconvenience of a 3 peice design.

Absolutely agree, brass is cheap so is stainless, the amount materials in a razor is minimal no doubt what your saying is true but I wanted the one high end razor, to look nice, feel nice, be a bit unique and be a bit of a heirloom.

I get that but it's hard with overseas orders where I live and id hate to go too mild again, RR have quite high shipping too they're not hugely cheaper than buying the Blackbird or Yates however I have absolutely been considering a Lupo .95 OC and or Superslant and could get soap etc not locally available to make the shipping cost feel more worth while.

I saw those, they look really really nice but sadly don't ship to NZ so I took it off the list.

If returning the Blackbird was easy for me, I'd absolutely try it right now but I'm In NZ the time it takes to send back and the shipping costs. It's a good scheme but not as good for someone like myself, I'll end up paying $50 USD to return it if I hated it.
Well being in New Zealand leave you few options, it like bring stationed in Military with few local option for shopping. Plus you in some foreign country with all mail handle first by locals. Things disappear.

Buy what you can locally until you have better options, be happy your choice are zero.

To those living in Shave Utopia the USA, see how lucky you are.🥳

Well being in New Zealand leave you few options, it like bring stationed in Military with few local option for shopping. Plus you in some foreign country with all mail handle first by locals. Things disappear.

Buy what you can locally until you have better options, be happy your choice are zero.

To those living in Shave Utopia the USA, see how lucky you are.🥳
Just shaved my cheeks with my bent 41C, my skin is wishing I was in Shave Utopia right now so I could easily access a replacement razor.

Might need to try one of these Fatip razors every raves about or I could pick up the Muhle R41, my choices are:

1. Fatip "Slant" Grande Closed Comb Safety Razor - $48USD

2. Fatip Grande Open Comb Safety Razor - $30USD

3. Muhle R41 - $46USD

4. Muhle R41 Grande - $60USD

5. Muhle R41 Grande SS - $152USD

Or apparently they do have a Razorock Lupo it's a SB and they don't list the other specifications and it's in Aluminum which I'm not sold on as a good material for razors, I usually like some weight I don't apply pressure I use the weight, however never tried a light razor so I shouldn't knock it I guess.

6. RazoRock Lupo Closed Comb Safety Razor - $48USD

As you can see the R41 except the SS version is comparable in price, not sure a Grande is worth the extra $$ unless I was going SS because I don't see a non-grande in SS anyway.

Regardless I need to make a quick purchase, I will be back for my special razor later

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It's usually described as "steep" or "ride the safety bar" vs "shallow/ride the cap". ✌️

The Blackbird is a bit on the shallow side. Some use it with a steep angle regardless, but it is more designed with a more shallow angle in mind. Which goes against my personal habit, I also favor steep. But after dozens of razors I got flexible. Lately I even liked a mild razor.

Guess I am getting old. The wisdom of age might elude me to the grave though, I am afraid. 😎

Yates, Overlander and Razorock Superslant come to my mind when it comes to steep shaving razors. I am sure people can add some more, I am now having breakfast.

There is an Australian importer of Razorock an Australian forum member pointed out to me, maybe you find it useful:

Hello!

I am new here and as you probably have already guessed from the title of this post in the market for a "high-end" DE razor, problem is I feel spoiled for choice and as soon as I feel like "This one" I see someone likes "That one over this one" and the cycle continues.

I've always struggled with shaving due to sensitive skin but never worried for the past 12 years because once I got married who cares. However my wife left, so naturally at my age of 34 I took an interest again in "looking good".

I've been using a Merkur 41C OC for about 4 months with no issues, first time in my life I can shave without irritation, I do a stubble beard look, 1mm trimmer around face, clean up around the cheek bone area and neck with DE to look "neat".

Both areas have different issues, the neck is very sensitive and the hair grows in every which direction in the upper half but it's not too "tough". The cheek area is far less sensitive, still suffers from random directions of growth but the hair is tough as steel, it's really really hard to get a smooth shave or even passable shave without a very sharp blade and if I can't do it in 3 or under passes I'll definitely get irritation.

The Merkur has served me pretty well, it definitely could be a little more aggressive for my beard type but with a feather or other sharp blade I can get a passable result in 3 passes, mild blades have not been a friend in this razor, so much irritation! However, I broke her, I dropped her twice, she survived but was weakened, then I over tightened and it was all over.

I've had people recommend all sorts of things about using mild blades, get a more mild razor etc, never had any luck with that and I now ignore such recommendations I know what works for me and thats a sharp blade, do it in 2 passes is the goal and I'll get an irritation free shave (3 seems OK with some blades but not others hence I think a 2 pass rule will save my skin.)

Naturally I am attracted to the more aggressive DE razor, I like the OC I can't explain why but it makes sense to me and it brings me great joy to not have the razor clog up every 2 seconds like a cartridge would and that I can plow through 3 days growth and, it also has that old school feel. I like some blade feel but I also like to daily shave the cheeks, every second day I do the neck however as I say for my skin less passes with the sharpest blade possible seems to be the best for me.

I've been tossing up between these (but absolutely open to other recommendations)

1. Yates Custom OC (Ti head, SS baseplate and Ti handle)
2. Blackbird OC in SS
3.Tatara Masamune OC
4. RR Superslant OC L2++

Other razors start getting way out of my price range the Yates is my limit at $210 USD.
Welcome to the forum!
From your want list, I have The Tatara Nodachi with the Masamune OC plate and I also have the Yates OC.
I'd recommend though that you try the Timeless .68 Open comb!
Probably the best OC I've ever tried. The others are great but the .68 OC is magical (I'm not the only one that feels this way about it). Timeless' OC teeth are rounded which makes it incredibly smooth. And if you buy it "new", they have the return policy. It would run you $220 ($10 above your limit!)
But here's what I did, I bought it from the scratch & dent section!
Mine came absolutely immaculate!
The only thing is that you don't have the return policy with the scratch & dent but the razor will cost you
$170 in matte stainless or $190 in polished stainless (I bought mine polished). Can't beat that!
I like mid-aggressive to aggressive shaving razors but the .68 OC is something else.
You feel enough blade but it's ridiculously smooth and efficient enough. An excellent daily razor!
You can also get the .95 if you want to up the efficiency. I've found the .68 so perfect that I haven't had any urge (yet) to go for the .95!
And the Timeless razors are beautifully made!

Here are the links for "new" & "scratch & dent":

Good luck!

It's usually described as "steep" or "ride the safety bar" vs "shallow/ride the cap". ✌️

The Blackbird is a bit on the shallow side. Some use it with a steep angle regardless, but it is more designed with a more shallow angle in mind. Which goes against my personal habit, I also favor steep. But after dozens of razors I got flexible. Lately I even liked a mild razor.

Guess I am getting old. The wisdom of age might elude me to the grave though, I am afraid. 😎

Yates, Overlander and Razorock Superslant come to my mind when it comes to steep shaving razors. I am sure people can add some more, I am now having breakfast.

There is an Australian importer of Razorock an Australian forum member pointed out to me, maybe you find it useful:

The Yates and RR superslant keep showing up, it might be fate I buy one of these razors or may be I should get both who am I to question fate?

The Overlander I've seen a couple of times and it looks very nice but the maker is having issues with shipping to my part of the world, I have email them to enquire they say they might be able too but seems like its gonna be super expensive, I wonder if that's why RR shipping is steep.

Thanks for the link to an Aussie RR supplier but shipping from Aussie is not much better than US or EU, it's actually cheaper to buy direct from RR despite the product needing to travel further..
Not sure how that makes sense but this happens a lot.

Welcome to the forum!
From your want list, I have The Tatara Nodachi with the Masamune OC plate and I also have the Yates OC.
I'd recommend though that you try the Timeless .68 Open comb!
Probably the best OC I've ever tried. The others are great but the .68 OC is magical (I'm not the only one that feels this way about it). Timeless' OC teeth are rounded which makes it incredibly smooth. And if you buy it "new", they have the return policy. It would run you $220 ($10 above your limit!)
But here's what I did, I bought it from the scratch & dent section!
Mine came absolutely immaculate!
The only thing is that you don't have the return policy with the scratch & dent but the razor will cost you
$170 in matte stainless or $190 in polished stainless (I bought mine polished). Can't beat that!
I like mid-aggressive to aggressive shaving razors but the .68 OC is something else.
You feel enough blade but it's ridiculously smooth and efficient enough. An excellent daily razor!
You can also get the .95 if you want to up the efficiency. I've found the .68 so perfect that I haven't had any urge (yet) to go for the .95!
And the Timeless razors are beautifully made!

Here are the links for "new" & "scratch & dent":

Good luck!

Oh wow I didn't see the Scratch and Dent section, looks like I'm adding the Timeless to the list. I thought I was narrowing down but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Thanks for the link to an Aussie RR supplier but shipping from Aussie is not much better than US or EU, it's actually cheaper to buy direct from RR despite the product needing to travel further..
Not sure how that makes sense but this happens a lot.
Let me introduce you to @Ice09 , a fellow Australian wetshaver who might help you share experiences. I am very aware of the difficulties Australians have with customs, shipping and all that. But you are not alone, importing from the USA and Canada didn't get better, the EU likes to punish me for doing so terribly with VAT, customs and fantasy handling fees.

I now know Australians from New South Wales, Darwin and Perth, plus some Kiwis. It's a whole continent and amazing to fantasize about from afar. So yeah, it's all coming by plane anyways most of the time. Amazon Prime next day delivery is a BIT more difficult in Australia for sure than in Europe.

Best wishes, hope you get lucky and pick a razor that suits you right away. I am still always surprised which razor suits me in the end. Lately I seem to have a mild razor phase.

Brought myself a Fatip Piccolo OC and a Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush without having to touch my razor fund for an international order 😎

Hopefully the Fatip Slant OC comes into stock locally and I'll try that, then I will buy something premium.

I think asking something like "what's better a Timeless vs Yates vs Superslant vs Overlander?" Is extremely subjective now, I'd probably love anyone of them but now I've got a pretty firm list to choose from.

Thanks you'll.

The Yates will allow for a steeper shave angle as it bends the blade more than the others. I find the Blackbird to work best using the angle of the top cap which to me is a neutral angle. I also use a steep angle with the Bird and it works fine.

The good thing with Tatara is the options for additional plates. If the Masamune is a little too mild, then go to the Nodachi base.

The Yates will allow for a steeper shave angle as it bends the blade more than the others. I find the Blackbird to work best using the angle of the top cap which to me is a neutral angle. I also use a steep angle with the Bird and it works fine.

The good thing with Tatara is the options for additional plates. If the Masamune is a little too mild, then go to the Nodachi base.
I've seen quite a few BB owners who say contrary to the manufacturers recommendations, they like to use a steep angle. Looking at the design of the head when loaded with a blade I suspect it would work at a steeper angle than what I've been using but obviously hard to tell without first using the razor.

I have a feeling the Yates would suit me the best but it's just a feeling, however the BB is much prettier, especially the handle, the Yates handle is the one issue I have with its design from an aesthetics point of view, it looks too thin and the looks are a little meh.

However may be the Tatara is a happy middle ground between the two, it doesn't look as "wow" as the Blackbird to me but certainly still looks very very nice, seeing mixed reports on if its a steep or shallow razor but seems like it performs with the best of them judging by the reports I've read.

Brought myself a Fatip Piccolo OC and a Muhle Silvertip Fibre brush without having to touch my razor fund for an international order 😎
Welcome to the forum! I have both the Fatip regular and the slant closed comb versions. A sharp blade (I use Nacet) works well in both and give me a smooth and comfortable shave. The Piccolo handle may feel tiny at first but I have come around to prefer it over the Fatip Grande handle. The Fatip threading is unique (M4.5 vs M5) so you cannot mix and match with other brands of handles that use the standard threads. I hope you have a good experience with these Italian gems. The slant is my favorite.

I also use the Muhle STF and it is great for face lathering as it splays well. Good luck in your razor quest.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! I have both the Fatip regular and the slant closed comb versions. A sharp blade (I use Nacet) works well in both and give me a smooth and comfortable shave. The Piccolo handle may feel tiny at first but I have come around to prefer it over the Fatip Grande handle. The Fatip threading is unique (M4.5 vs M5) so you cannot mix and match with other brands of handles that use the standard threads. I hope you have a good experience with these Italian gems. The slant is my favorite.

I also use the Muhle STF and it is great for face lathering as it splays well. Good luck in your razor quest.
Thank you sir. I have high hopes for this little $23USD piccolo razor, might become my travel razor in time if I ever do any of this traveling thing.

I briefly considered the closed comb slant but all the love seems to be for the open comb, so asked my local supplier if they could start stocking the OC model 😎

I have never tried a synthetic brush, it was an impulse buy because I've been using a brush and bowl for about 10 years and had the same pure badger the entire time, and it's still a little scratchy and smelly.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hello!

I am new here and as you probably have already guessed from the title of this post in the market for a "high-end" DE razor, problem is I feel spoiled for choice and as soon as I feel like "This one" I see someone likes "That one over this one" and the cycle continues.

I've always struggled with shaving due to sensitive skin but never worried for the past 12 years because once I got married who cares. However my wife left, so naturally at my age of 34 I took an interest again in "looking good".

I've been using a Merkur 41C OC for about 4 months with no issues, first time in my life I can shave without irritation, I do a stubble beard look, 1mm trimmer around face, clean up around the cheek bone area and neck with DE to look "neat".

Both areas have different issues, the neck is very sensitive and the hair grows in every which direction in the upper half but it's not too "tough". The cheek area is far less sensitive, still suffers from random directions of growth but the hair is tough as steel, it's really really hard to get a smooth shave or even passable shave without a very sharp blade and if I can't do it in 3 or under passes I'll definitely get irritation.

The Merkur has served me pretty well, it definitely could be a little more aggressive for my beard type but with a feather or other sharp blade I can get a passable result in 3 passes, mild blades have not been a friend in this razor, so much irritation! However, I broke her, I dropped her twice, she survived but was weakened, then I over tightened and it was all over.

I've had people recommend all sorts of things about using mild blades, get a more mild razor etc, never had any luck with that and I now ignore such recommendations I know what works for me and thats a sharp blade, do it in 2 passes is the goal and I'll get an irritation free shave (3 seems OK with some blades but not others hence I think a 2 pass rule will save my skin.)

Naturally I am attracted to the more aggressive DE razor, I like the OC I can't explain why but it makes sense to me and it brings me great joy to not have the razor clog up every 2 seconds like a cartridge would and that I can plow through 3 days growth and, it also has that old school feel. I like some blade feel but I also like to daily shave the cheeks, every second day I do the neck however as I say for my skin less passes with the sharpest blade possible seems to be the best for me.

I've been tossing up between these (but absolutely open to other recommendations)

1. Yates Custom OC (Ti head, SS baseplate and Ti handle)
2. Blackbird OC in SS
3.Tatara Masamune OC
4. RR Superslant OC L2++

Other razors start getting way out of my price range the Yates is my limit at $210 USD.
The Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB is my favorite Modern DE razor.

The Lambda Athena is tied for number two with the Wolfman Ti WR2 1.25 SB (the Wolfie is well above your price cap).

The Rex Envoy is well under your price cap and is in my frequent rotation with the above-mentioned razors.

Personally, I prefer shaving with any of these razors over the Yates (I don't care for the feel of the Stonewashed finish).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
This is good to know, I thought the opposite by looking at its design. I'm sure in time I'll get used to riding the top cap more but it does feel awkward especially when doing my left hand side of my face holding the razor with my right hand, I always end up covering an eye and struggling to get the angle right so I can see what I'm doing while actually shaving off beard not just pushing lather around my face.
Card carrying member of the Steep Angle Shaving Alliance (SASA). I shave steep with the Blackbird and prefer the feel and results of a steep angle compared to a shallow angle.

Top Bottom