What's new

Enjoy Lupo, but not GameChanger?

All that to say I don't "think" it's peer pressure driving me to a more agressive razor... I believe my experience led me to look for more blade exposure, not nessisarly more agression (huge blade gap, etc...)

I agree that preferences and opinions change! Especially for someone like me who's just starting out.
Yup, I took others' advice, that with attention paid to technique, it's possible that a more efficient razor can result in less irritation (fewer passes).

If it's mild and efficient, it's a bonus of course.

There are many here who trivialize aggressive razors without providing any background however, and this can lead the unsuspecting individual into the deep end of the pool prematurely.

... Thom

All that to say I don't "think" it's peer pressure driving me to a more agressive razor... I believe my experience led me to look for more blade exposure, not nessisarly more agression (huge blade gap, etc...)
Blade exposure is one of the elements that contributes to how aggressive a razor is. :)
It also increases the range of useable angles.

Yup, I took others' advice, that with attention paid to technique, it's possible that a more efficient razor can result in less irritation (fewer passes).
Indeed...perhaps as in this thread:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It could be that @never-stop-learning prefers a shallower shave angle. The Blackbird also has a flat area to guide the angle, which is somewhat shallow. I have gotten used to it, although for me it feels a bit odd (although some Blackbird users say they use it steep and get good results).
Card carrying SASA member. Steep all the way, for me. :)

My primary issues with the Yates razors (Brass excepted) is how they feel on my face. On my face, I feel drag. For a similar (or lower) cost, the Rex Envoy and Karve Brass SB-G work much better for me. :)

Well, I just got a Lupo 72 with titanium halo handle in the mail today. Will Try it tomorrow and report back!

The past few days I've been trying out the GC 68-P again -- going for that shallow angle. I figured out I wasn't applying enough pressure, and so it was tugging more than cutting. After adding some pressure it cut smoothly, and the shallow angle was pretty comfortable! The problem was just that it didn't cut very much, so I was shaving the same spot a several strokes each pass, and I needed 4 passes to get a decent shave. It was comfortable... but took almost 30 minutes...

So the next day I tried a more neutral angle (while staying slightly closer to shallow than steep) and it was more efficient - fewer strokes and only 3 passes.

after 3 days with the 68 I moved on to the 84 and while it felt more aggressive, it really didn't seem more efficient. In the end though, the shave did feel closer, but less comfortable - which I guess is to be expected.

Looking forward to trying the Lupo tomorrow!

Thanks for everyone's encouragement to keep working on technique. I feel like I "get" the
Game Changer more now...

Reactions: cf1

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have both RR GC.84 and a RR Lupo.72 and both are great razors, I enjoy the Lupo.72 a little more but what I do to the RR GC.84 is just use a Kai SS extra wide blade and it shaves very similar to the Lupo.72 razor. The Kai SS is slightly wider than a Gillette standard blade and gives a little bump up in efficentcy and aggression. Some folks like a little blade feel and it is a wonderful blade in the RR GC if that is what you like. It is a little pricier a blade than others but it has excellent longevity and I will always have a tuck or 2 of them around in my shave den for my milder razors that I have accumulated over the years when I first got into traditional wet shaving.
View attachment 1729219
Have some great shaves!
Nice mic :thumbsup:

~doug~

Well, I'm two shaves into the Lupo 72. I love the look of it, but it doesn't seem any more efficient than the Game Changer 84. It's a rougher shave, but I think I'm slightly more comfortable after the shave. I'll keep working on it. I've been sticking with Astra SP blades, but I should probably break out the Kai blades and see how that goes.

Will just have to wait until there's an .95 available.

In the meantime, I also ordered a Yates 921-H in brass, and I'm anxious to try that when it comes!

Well, I'm two shaves into the Lupo 72. I love the look of it, but it doesn't seem any more efficient than the Game Changer 84. It's a rougher shave, but I think I'm slightly more comfortable after the shave. I'll keep working on it. I've been sticking with Astra SP blades, but I should probably break out the Kai blades and see how that goes.

In the meantime, I also ordered a Yates 921-H in brass, and I'm anxious to try that when it comes!

The Lupo .72 made me hate Astra SP's.

For me, it paired very well with Gillette Nacets, Perma-Sharps, and Rapira Platinum Lux blades. RPL is my favorite now, with the .95oc.

Same for me. The Lupo and GC gaps you mentioned are similar in efficiency but they feel different getting me there. Good luck with the Yates H. I have the SS - great shaver.

My subjective reply to the title of the thread, yes. The Lupo 72 has become my most enjoyable razor. I don't have one yet, but if the 58 plate is proportionatly less, having both the 72 and 58 would be perfect! I wouldn't desire anything else. I'll probably keep the GC, as it's a perfect give-away razor to friends or family, it is very good. Its not that I don't enjoy the Gamechanger, its just not as good (enjoyable) as the Lupo. I have a couple other razors that will likely be redundant.

IMG_4512.jpg

I tried the GC a while back, but it wasn’t for me, alas. Went from Lupo .58 to .72 to .95, the last by far the best. After a fair amount of use, I can get a very good shave with almost no alum sting. I have also tried the .95 OC and the .127, but only got a bit more irritation without better results. Glad I tried them, and may revisit them later, to see if I gave them a truly fair test. If my results are the same, they’ll be posted on the BST.
Jack

Top Bottom